Mobius

If possible, could you please shoot a clip at the lowest bit rate and post the raw footage?

Spending the weekend with my girlfriend, so not sure when I'll have the opportunity to upload a new clip. Probably Monday.

Cheers, Russ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I keep hoping for that. :) Because the circuit board would be exactly the same, the only change would be the case and maybe they would only have to change the bottom part of the case to fit the larger super capacitors in. Depending on the size of the super capacitors they chose, the increase would only make the Mobius maybe 10mm (0.4 inches) thicker or less.

It could be marketed as the Mobius DC Edition....
DC = Dash Cam
Why do you need yet larger super capacitors? :confused: or am I misunderstanding something?
The Supercaps I've tested work perfectly and also fit into the existing case without any modification whatsoever.
Here's a size comparison.
SuperCap02.JPG

Last edited:
If they provide a correct file save and shutdown then no need to go bigger
That has also been tested and works great. The release is just around the corner. :D

I think the capacitors need to be mounted transversed compared to your picture. In this way that orange cover must to cover just the capacitors, no more.
Also I expect they will use some thermal cover to mold around the capacitors.
Just make a test with them transversed compared to the battery, because in other way the capacitor will press on the CMOS cable.

My camera is working almost OK also with the actual firmware and the capacitors.

enjoy,
Mtz

I think the capacitors need to be mounted transversed compared to your picture. In this way that orange cover must to cover just the capacitors, no more.
Also I expect they will use some thermal cover to mold around the capacitors.
Just make a test with them transversed compared to the battery, because in other way the capacitor will press on the CMOS cable.

My camera is working almost OK also with the actual firmware and the capacitors.

enjoy,
Mtz

The capacitors have to be inserted the way I pictured them. Under the foil are the connection wires which mustn't be allowed to short under any circumstance. The primary function of the orange tape (Kapton tape) is to keep apart and protect the wires, not to hold or cover the actual capacitors. The arrangement my not "look" so good, but it works very well and fits into the case. Using heat-shrink tubing would make everything a lot thicker and could easily press the connection wires together. I use heat-shrink tubing a lot, but in this case it would not be a good solution, also because of the surrounding heat. The tape covering the connection wires is very thin and easily fits between the 'bend' in the CMOS cable, much better than the wider battery, in fact. BTW, the tape used has a high dielectric strength and can withstand temperatures below -250°C and above +250°C so is the perfect choice for these kinds of things. The adhesive used also leaves no residue when the tape is removed.

The Supercap solution works with the current firmware, but you will have to turn off the camera manually because it will not save the current file it is recording when you disconnect the power. There will be an extra parameter setting in the next firmware version to do this automatically.

Last edited:
I think manufacturers are trying too hard. Drivers want the cams to be as discrete as possible so manufacturers are trying to give us this by making the unit smaller - but surely the most discrete option is to have just a lens in the windscreen and everything else out of the way?
(AFAIK, a lens can be bought which can be mounted away from the body - but not very far!)
Instead of making things smaller - and then all the asociated problems, why not simply use a remote lens and put the guts of the DVR into a larger case?
Case could be mounted under the dash, have a decent heatsink, maybe include a small fan, have plenty of vent holes around, have the battery away from other heat sources, etc.

Just out of curiosity. The 0801 is a tiny cam with a screen (a pity they mounted the lens on the largest face - I think it should've gone on one end like the Mobius). But how do the two cams compare heatwise?

Last edited:
Regardless of what heat they generate if the the Mobius goes into thermal protection at 47c its going to cut off sooner than the 0801 that thermals at 70c

first of all, 47c is the surrounding temperture outside of the case, not the actual maximum temperture the components can withstand.
senconly, Mobius doesn't go into any thermal protection. it melts itself down when overheat.
i believe the Mobius electronics can withstand much higher temperature, i'd guess around a 100c.

Regardless of what heat they generate if the the Mobius goes into thermal protection at 47c its going to cut off sooner than the 0801 that thermals at 70c

The 0801's claimed thermal tolerance is academic, unless it's seemingly never-ending firmware problems get resolved.

Whilst that is true, waaaaay back when I did physics, we were also taught that black was a better colour to wear in the summer since - your body temp will be higher than that of the air. Slightly looser clothing will absorb this excess heat & 'lose' it to your surroundings as the clothing is blown around. As white reflects, not only does it reflect much of the heat from outside away from your body, but everything your body is trying to lose is also being reflected back at your body!

We even performed experiments with different coloured cloth on a light bulb to test this theory

I all depends on how and where to mount. If the way you or me like to mount ( most discrete way ), then yes, - no sun reaches it, especially if car windshield has sun-strip. Some cars dont have sun-strips, or owners dont have DIY skills to make special bracket / mount, or some drivers like to install directly on dash. Different people, - different ways to mount.

I was start thinking, -would it be bad idea if whole body of Mobius would be made of mesh-steel / aluminium ?
Yes, it will probably add on some weight, but dont that dramatically, - aluminium is fairly light material.
Having mesh-aluminium body provides very good cooling for internal components. As long as heat inside is higher than outside, - it will be always instantly escaping via mesh.

The 0801's claimed thermal tolerance is academic, unless it's seemingly never-ending firmware problems get resolved.

the problems it has are firmware related but not heat related, was just referring to the thermal properties of the respective hardware

I all depends on how and where to mount. If the way you or me like to mount ( most discrete way ), then yes, - no sun reaches it, especially if car windshield has sun-strip. Some cars dont have sun-strips, or owners dont have DIY skills to make special bracket / mount, or some drivers like to install directly on dash. Different people, - different ways to mount.

I was start thinking, -would it be bad idea if whole body of Mobius would be made of mesh-steel / aluminium ?
Yes, it will probably add on some weight, but dont that dramatically, - aluminium is fairly light material.
Having mesh-aluminium body provides very good cooling for internal components. As long as heat inside is higher than outside, - it will be always instantly escaping via mesh.

I'm losing track of where I've posted! On another mobius thread I said something along the lines - If the only problem with the mobius is that of heat generated in such a tiny space (problems from making everything so tiny then cramming it into the smallest of spaces), why not simply use a remote lens (AFAIK, there is a lens on a short cable (8"?) for the mobius).
Put all the internals into a decent sized box with plenty of vents, maybe add a decent heatsink to one face, maybe add a small fan, keep the battery well away from the main board (or bigger box, bigger capacitor) ...

If we can mount the body well away from the lens then the size and cosmetic appearance of the case isn't an issue.

So it's not like we're asking the manufacturer to come up with anything drastically new & inventive - simply take an existing good product & adapt it for the car market.

If some manufacturers are looking at 360deg coverage, why not put 4 mobius boards into a large case, decent fan, decent capacitor, 4 remote lenses - presto, 360 deg coverage & great cam setup. If the mobius can be linked to smartphone, tablet, laptop etc, software on an app could be used to sync the timestamp of all the cams & even be used to drag files off.

I'm losing track of where I've posted! On another mobius thread I said something along the lines - If the only problem with the mobius is that of heat generated in such a tiny space (problems from making everything so tiny then cramming it into the smallest of spaces), why not simply use a remote lens (AFAIK, there is a lens on a short cable (8"?) for the mobius).
Put all the internals into a decent sized box with plenty of vents, maybe add a decent heatsink to one face, maybe add a small fan, keep the battery well away from the main board (or bigger box, bigger capacitor) ...

If we can mount the body well away from the lens then the size and cosmetic appearance of the case isn't an issue.

So it's not like we're asking the manufacturer to come up with anything drastically new & inventive - simply take an existing good product & adapt it for the car market.

If some manufacturers are looking at 360deg coverage, why not put 4 mobius boards into a large case, decent fan, decent capacitor, 4 remote lenses - presto, 360 deg coverage & great cam setup. If the mobius can be linked to smartphone, tablet, laptop etc, software on an app could be used to sync the timestamp of all the cams & even be used to drag files off.

I think your idea will be from other type of dash camera solution which has been mentioned in multi-channel dash cam thread.

Spending the weekend with my girlfriend, so not sure when I'll have the opportunity to upload a new clip. Probably Monday.

Cheers, Russ

Thanks and I hope you have a GREAT weekend !!!!

My capacitors mount (first picture).

View attachment 1576 View attachment 1577

enjoy,
Mtz

It looks as if you've squashed the end where the wires are soldered. Make certain the contacts are well apart. If you really want to mount the capacitors this way then I would open the package, cut the capacitor leads shorter, and then solder the cable to the shorter leads. The red and black wires look dangerously close together on your picture, but you will have to remove the tape to be sure.
Your pictures prove there is plenty of space inside the case for the Supercap without making the case any higher.

The 0801 doesn't appear to have any of the heat issues of the Möbius. Then again, it is roughly twice as big, but still very discreet. It used to record .TS due to bugs with .mov recording, which some users with the newer firmwares are experiencing.

Mine's a TS model and I mounted it behind my rear view mirror and just leave it. No issues in the 4 months I've had it

Back