sludgeguts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius x3, G1W held as spare.
(hope this link works)
:eek:o_O
Police have released a video of the moment a reckless driver slammed his brakes on in front of a moving lorry.
The incident happened on the M5 during the summer, when one driver's road rage nearly cost him his life.
The shocking video shows a blue Citroen swerving and braking in front of the lorry - which was travelling at 60 mph - before speeding off just inches from the front of the HGV.
"Not only was the driver putting his life on the line, but also that of his wife in the passenger seat and other road users who could have been caught in the ensuing carnage."
– Police spokesperson
The Citroen driver later admitted a count of dangerous driving after being shown the footage.
He was ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work, handed a 12-month drive ban and left with a £145 bill for court costs; he must also re-take his driving test.

I am, however, perplexed as to why the lorry driver pulled into lane 2 so very, very close to the citroen - only thing to come to mind is someone coming down the sliproad... then again, that's not his problem, it's the vehicle on the sliproad.

That Citroen's really impulsive, not thinking about what he's doing...

Unfortunately I had a similar thing the other day, I sort of blame my self though there was very little time to make it off the slip road due to cars travailing at 70 and very close, so I pulled out right behind a BMW too close, the right lane was clear so he could have moved over, but he slammed the brakes on instead. Lucky that I have a good set of brakes and fast reactions...

I had one just before Xmas, driving along a dual carriageway early evening (dark & raining). As I come alongside the sliproad, I've got a car dithering at my 4 o/c position and another coming down the sliproad marginally faster than me.
I'm maxed out at 62mph - the idiot on my offside obviously just wants to create a rolling roadblock & the idiot on the sliproad seemed to be under the impression that I should move over for him - given that the car on my offside would be completely invisible to him.
The way he continued accellerating (very slowly) said to me that he was either expecting me to move over or brake.
What these idiots fail to realise is just how difficult it is for me to get back up to speed when I have to brake !
He ended up braking hard & pulling in tight behind me - which is where he had to stay for an age since matey on my offside still didn't want to overtake me.
But I have no idea why he felt that sitting right on my bumper would make me go faster.

I will never understand why people slam on the brakes when there's nothing in front of them but i've changed lanes to get behind them - all i can figure is they're trying to pull some insurance fraud. the brake check when i get behind someone happens to me all the time in Houston. just like if you signal to change lanes to pass, people will intentionally accelerate to close the gap so that you can't get in front of them. nevermind that i'm not cutting them off, and am in fact usually going faster than them anyway. in those cases i usually complete my lane change anyway, despite them accelerating, because it's obvious that they're just being a piece of male anatomy, and there's usually a very good reason for me to change lanes, such as lane closure due to construction, or some moron doing like 30mph slower than everyone else on the highway...

one guy in a civic (with the requisite stickers, blue lights, extreme lowering, big wing and loud "muffler") passed me on the left shoulder (at full throttle of course) then cut me off and brake-checked me after i'd changed lanes in front of him. thing is, he was doing the same speed i was (75 mph) for the last mile or so, and he would have had at least 6-7 car-lengths between my back bumper and his front... except that he downshifted and floored it to try to prevent me from being in front of him, and instead of braking back down to 75 mph (i had cruise control set, and the speed limit was 65) he kept accelerating to pass me on the shoulder. i didn't have a dashcam back then though...

yet another reason to own a (2-channel) dashcam.

just like if you signal to change lanes to pass, people will intentionally accelerate to close the gap so that you can't get in front of them. nevermind that i'm not cutting them off, and am in fact usually going faster than them anyway. in those cases i usually complete my lane change anyway, .
Happens to me a lot - always when I'm in a bus lane. Despite there being loads of room, as soon as the idiots realise I want to pull out of the bus lane, they accellerate to close the gap - then get p!ssy when I do change lanes (despite having indicated forever) to the point that they sit right up my @rse, flashing headlights etc.
On one occasion, we had two lanes through a set of lights, lane 2 was then directed to merge with lane 1 but some muppet wanted to be in front of me so tried to get ahead. At best, his front bumper was 12" ahead of my front bumper - but he felt that meant I should brake. Becaue I wouldn't slow down to let him in, I then had the usual tailgating, flashing headlights, arm waving etc.
About an hour later, my boss called me on the radio - the guy had complained about how I had forced him headlong into oncoming traffic - it was actually a huge articulated lorry :D.
As it happened, I had time to pop in to base, pulled the card from my mobius & put it in my phone for my boss to watch.
The guy actually threatened to phone the police, my driving was that bad. So my boss phoned him while I was there & he explained my side of the story & said if he'd like to report me to the police he was more than welcome to do so - then added "and the police would be welcome to view the footage from the onboard cams - which clearly showed how HE was trying to overtake when his lane had long since ran out.
We never did hear anymore from him.

Back