Mounting options for F50

whitecitadel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So F50 arrived yesterday, just trying to position and due to a large plastic piece with vehicle sensors in it behind the rear view, it will need to go one side or the other. Drivers side no-go due to existing OEM GPS transponder and it would also block my view mounted below, passenger side the field of view is obscured by the plastic behind the rear view (RHD car, so lens is next to plastic)

Is there any other mount for the F50 that would get it closer to the windscreen?

Obviously this is all made more tedious by no screen or WiFi live view so you have to try a few positions, pop the card, check video, put it back and repeat...

Any tips from existing F50 owners would be welcome... currently considering return and swapping for A119 as its lens would at least be pressed up against the screen and not obscured by the plastic behind the mirror.

What make / model / year of car do you have?

Is there any alternate bracket that gets the lens closer to the screen?

Thanks, yeah the issue is that the lens is offset to the right (looking from behind F50 out through windscreen), so on passenger side it puts lens next to the plastic housing which obscures the view. The plastic is behind the rear view all the way down, although having just prised it off there is a lot of wasted space I can see (I think its connection for heated screen, I don't want to mess with that area or stick a pad where it gets hot).

If I could fit it drivers side the lens would be away from the plastic housing, but I can't get the mount in due to OEM plastic box (there is a black area for GPS or radio tags for tolls etc) in the way, and I can see it and its technically obscuring my view in the wiper arc...

EDIT: F50 itself is great, very small and compact, audio warning if the card is not fitted etc - but if I can't mount it neatly its not going to work :( F770 with lens on other side would be fine - but its out of budget!

Can you let me know the car details please i will take a look at some pictures and see what i think. Guessing it's a Jag or Land Rover?

Is the underside of the sensor housing flat? If so it may be possible to affix the mount to the sensor housing.

My car's sensor housing isn't flat, so I mounted my SGZC12RC beneath it.

image.jpeg

Can you let me know the car details please i will take a look at some pictures and see what i think. Guessing it's a Jag or Land Rover?

Land Rover - good guess ;-)

Plastic housing goes all the way out to the screen, no way to mount below it neatly, apart from looking horrific it blocks view out the windscreen:
plastic-housing.JPG
You have a stepped area at the top, the black sections are where the GPS needs to go and ideally the mount:
en_US

On the passenger side shown here its a neat fit with mount on the black area and just enough room I suspect to fit GPS puck in, but the video output is no good as lens is obscured by the plastic housing. If lens could be closer to the screen it would likely be fine (hence question on alternate mount).

Can't mount on drivers side as it will obscure view.

Should have gone X350 before the codes were pulled... that had the lens in the middle!

Is the underside of the sensor housing flat? If so it may be possible to affix the mount to the sensor housing.

My car's sensor housing isn't flat, so I mounted my SGZC12RC beneath it.
That's nice and neat, but I can't get the F50 to fit there, its a bit bigger and the mount is a bit bulkier.

When you say it obscures your view if mounted to the drivers side, what exactly does it obscure? Obstruction of view of the sky is nothing to worry about, only obstruction of view of the road. See UK special MOT notice 2-2014, or, my post linked below which states the important bits of it.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ra-post-your-pictures.502/page-42#post-288088

The other thing I'd be concerned about though, if you did mount on the drivers side, would it make contact with your sun visor at all? As the driver, yours is important, the passenger's, not so much.

Didn't think to check visor - that's a good call.

Obscures view as in "I can't see out the window and its annoyingly in the way", not just it happens to be in a designated wiper sweep area.

Camera itself is great, but I don't think its going to work with available area, going to test another cam.

Back