My BlackBoxMyCar Bi-750 "died" after 2 years

DashCamUser123

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I purchased both the Bi-750 and the extension battery, BE-750 back in late 2021. It had been running great until yesterday. My Viofo A129 Duo cam wasn't working but the ITsCell app showed battery capacity at 100%.

I checked the Bi-750 battery and the LED lights came on but then turned off. I noticed one of the wires on the cable connected to the BE-750 extension battery was cut, came loose. I always questioned that part of the cable connector as it looked flimsy because you can see the wire.

I tried to use only the main Bi-750 battery but it didn't work. I downloaded the user manual and will try again. Two year life-span doesn't sound like a long time for $800+ Not sure if that is typical? But it is what it is. I will go through the diagnostics and see if it will work.

I am curious if anyone else is still using the older BlackBoxMyCar Bi-750? How long have you had yours and is it still working?

Last edited:
2 years of joy do indeed sound pretty poor, if that set a precedence for battery - whatever, i would hate to be a EV owner in Canada.

I am not familiar with these.

2 years of joy do indeed sound pretty poor, if that set a precedence for battery - whatever, i would hate to be a EV owner in Canada.

I am not familiar with these.
I am hoping it just needs a reset. And a replacement cable for the extension battery.

What external batteries, if any, are you using?

I dont use any dedicated batteries, i do use parking guard on 1 of the systems i am testing, but only for 3 hours on the timer.
I have a IP camera on my 2 floor apartment balcony door aimed at my parked car, the back yard are pitch black so a dashcam would not see much, even if there is a PIR floodlight back there.
Also today a lot of rain / dew on the glass as it have been rain and fog all day.

My CCTV camera with 7 X or so optical zoom used, give me a very high chance of a identifying capture of anyone within 0.5 - 1 M of my parked car, and AI motion detect ping out on human or vehicle shapes, not cats and what not running around back there.

Yikes, sorry to hear that. I wonder if you can get replacement cables from BBMC?

I've got a BI-750 & BE-750 in my car that I've been running for a while and they're still going strong. I really like them since they can charge faster than other current/newer batteries and the expansion battery is the same size as the main one, but obviously if it stops working that's a different story...

Yikes, sorry to hear that. I wonder if you can get replacement cables from BBMC?

I've got a BI-750 & BE-750 in my car that I've been running for a while and they're still going strong. I really like them since they can charge faster than other current/newer batteries and the expansion battery is the same size as the main one, but obviously if it stops working that's a different story...
I called and they no longer stock the cable to connect the Bi-750 to the BE-750. So that extension battery is useless.

Not long after I purchased the Bi-750 and Be-750 they were being discontinued.

Can you elaborate on how the Bi-750 compares to the Powercell 8 for charging time?

I purchased both the Bi-750 and the extension battery, BE-750 back in late 2021. It had been running great until yesterday. My Viofo A129 Duo cam wasn't working but the ITsCell app showed battery capacity at 100%.

I checked the Bi-750 battery and the LED lights came on but then turned off. I noticed one of the wires on the cable connected to the BE-750 extension battery was cut, came loose. I always questioned that part of the cable connector as it looked flimsy because you can see the wire.

I tried to use only the main Bi-750 battery but it didn't work. I downloaded the user manual and will try again. Two year life-span doesn't sound like a long time for $800+ Not sure if that is typical? But it is what it is. I will go through the diagnostics and see if it will work.

I am curious if anyone else is still using the older BlackBoxMyCar Bi-750? How long have you had yours and is it still working?
Sorry to hear that your BI-750 has stopped working, that's very unfortunate. From what you've described, I agree it sounds like the battery is not properly retaining charge anymore.

Please reach out to our support team at info@blackboxmycar.com. We'll see what we can do about replacing it out of warranty, or a hearty discount on a newer one.

I think my Powercore is 2-3 years old now and working fine still.

I called and they no longer stock the cable to connect the Bi-750 to the BE-750. So that extension battery is useless.
You may purchase some XT60 connectors, and make your own extension cable.
Just make sure to use 12AWG Pure Copper Wire, not "tinned copper" or CCA "copper clad aluminum".
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B074PN6N4K
Myself, and @rcg530 made an assortment of custom power cables with these connectors to test various battery packs, (PowerCell 8, B-130X, BAB-95) in various configurations.

The PowerCell 8 accepts extension packs, so it might be worth getting a PowerCell 8.

Has it been cold the last couple of nights/days in Canada where you live, I mean sub-zero cold? If so, the battery may have stopped charging (sub-zero charge protection) without time to warm up and recharge on short commutes, and is now completely discharged.

You could try warming the battery up and then charging it, perhaps at home if you have a home charger.

Sorry to hear that your BI-750 has stopped working, that's very unfortunate. From what you've described, I agree it sounds like the battery is not properly retaining charge anymore.

Please reach out to our support team at info@blackboxmycar.com. We'll see what we can do about replacing it out of warranty, or a hearty discount on a newer one.
I did reach out to your support team. They suggested I could send it in via FedEx (I would pay $50 CAD) and have the firmware updated. BlackBoxMyCar said they no longer have the cable for the extension battery, BE-750. The ITsCell app still shows 100% battery power.

I had put an order in, last 2 days, for the PowerCell 8 and Neo Extension battery (close to $900 CAD for the two new batteries). Still wish the Bi-750 and BE-750 had lasted longer than 2 years. I really liked the batteries because they ran flawlessly, until this week. The casing was always very cool to the touch even on hot summer days here in Ottawa.

Last edited:
Has it been cold the last couple of nights/days in Canada where you live, I mean sub-zero cold? If so, the battery may have stopped charging (sub-zero charge protection) without time to warm up and recharge on short commutes, and is now completely discharged.

You could try warming the battery up and then charging it, perhaps at home if you have a home charger.
It doesn't have anything to do with the weather. Battery shows 100% charged. The two batteries have gone thru two cold winters and hot summers here in Ottawa, Ontario. Canada.

My BI-750 can pull about 13A when hooked up to the battery while the PC8 can pull around 10A or so IIRC.
Thanks for sharing that info. I had my 2 battries hooked up to the cigarette lighter. I am not using the tap-a-fuse (has to do with a newer car still under warranty). Soon as the car is out of warranty, I will use the tap-a-fuse.

Last edited:
You may purchase some XT60 connectors, and make your own extension cable.
Just make sure to use 12AWG Pure Copper Wire, not "tinned copper" or CCA "copper clad aluminum".
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B074PN6N4K
Myself, and @rcg530 made an assortment of custom power cables with these connectors to test various battery packs, (PowerCell 8, B-130X, BAB-95) in various configurations.

The PowerCell 8 accepts extension packs, so it might be worth getting a PowerCell 8.
Thanks for the idea but I've never had to solder or do anything with electronics. Should I trust myself doing it? :) I actually did put an order in this week for the PowerCell 8 and the Extension battery, Cellink Neo.

Right now since I need Parking Mode, I am going thru with the purchase of the PowerCell 8 and Cellink extension battery. I put the word "died" in quotes because I don't really know whether it is dead but it doesn't work anymore.

I may send the Bi-750 and BE-750 in later to see if it can be repaired or find out what's wrong with it. The Bi-750 turns on, goes thru some led sequence and then shuts down.

This is what happens when I turn on the main Bi-750. The letters below represent the led lights, from lef to right.

B CIF 4 3 2 1

The B and CIF and all 4 led light up.

B is blue and CIF is red

Blue led turns off followed by led 1, 2 3, and 4 (turns off from right to left 4, 3, 2, 1)

CIF led turns green

CIF led turns off

All 4 leds (4, 3 2, 1) turn on at same time.

All 4 leds turn off at same time (4, 3, 2, 1)

Attachments

• bbmycar3.jpg
    bbmycar3.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back