My brand new SG9665GC V3 is not performing as expected!

As I said, I assure you, it's not related to the sun hitting the lens, or all my recordings while driving in the general direction of the sun would be blurry, and that's not the case.
I'm going through my footage of a 64GB card now anyway, I'll try and extract some other examples (but the scene/time of day is always different. It's hard to judge a diff in sharpness if nothing else stays equal :))

Ok here are some others, paying attention to similar scene & time of day:

1) normal
2) soft
(Click to enlarge)

Interesting thread - I am seeing the same behavior here, i.e., on bright and sunny days the videos tend to be softer than on overcast/rainy days. Camera uptime seems not to be the issue - the softness is visible right from the beginning of the recording. Outside temperature has not gone beyond 20degC yet.

Ok here are some others, paying attention to similar scene & time of day:

in each example you've got a similar scene and time of day but different conditions, mostly just overcast versus sunny, the exposure level, white balance etc changes to suit the conditions, look at the example above and your 'soft' image has better detail on the roof tiles on the second building along on the right than your 'normal' image, focus is ok, what you're seeing is the difference due to lighting changes, any dashcam is a one size fits all adjustment to try and work in the widest variety of situations, some scenes are going to look better than others at times, this is normal

To be honest, I'm seeing the same symptom today as I'm flicking through my recordings.
When the car has been parked in the sun for a while, the picture is clearly blurrier than when it was parked in the shade and/or the temp was generally lower.
It's hard to say if it's as bad as cocacola, it's still early spring here and I only got the SG a few months ago, but there's definitely a difference between hot/cold.

Blurry:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/yqsqin41szbbfe4/blurry_sg.jpg

Normal:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hweach0tthvyfds/sharp_sg.jpg

(One might argue it's the sun shining straight onto the lens, but I assure you that's not what's causing the loss in sharpness. It's just the only clear comparison I have of the same scene.)
(Screens are not native resolution, (using the EVR renderer in Registrator Viewer), but it illustrates the point.)

Before pic 1 the car was parked in the sun for a few hours. Temp outside about 15°C. Drove 3-4 minutes and parked somewhere else. That's pic 1.
Pic 2 is when I was about to drive off again about an hour later. Car was cooled by AC during the earlier 3-4 minute trip, so inside temp was already reduced, and while parked, shade soon covered the windshield, so inside temp never rose as high as before pic 1. I guess this allowed the lens to "settle" back to normal/sharp.

This is kind of worrying... I will try and find another good clip.

I will be able to download and watch on PC tomorrow evening. I will get back to you after.

3 hours while driving or 3 hours while parked?

Ah...it was a combination. Should be 60mins drive and 1 hour parked. All up is 2 hours not 3, my bad.

1. 25mins drive, then
2. Parked for 30mins
3. 25mins drive, then
4. Parked for 20 mins,
5. 5 mins drive

Looks good to me via iPhone 7 plus screen.

83afa1ce10ac70dfae6f86c56079c907.jpg

fb5725ca1ff79e2a852fe58bc3afcad8.jpg

those screenshots look fine, I'll still download the full clip once this usage timeout finishes and have a closer look though anyway

those screenshots look fine, I'll still download the full clip once this usage timeout finishes and have a closer look though anyway

I am glad to have bought my Street Guardian. Number one customer service!

By the way, is Matego the same as Street Guardian? I found some dash cams look the same. I was tempted to buy one of their dual channels dash cam off Taobao but consider the after sale service, I end up bought SG.

I have my Matego 188 for years, still running well.

in each example you've got a similar scene and time of day but different conditions, mostly just overcast versus sunny, the exposure level, white balance etc changes to suit the conditions, look at the example above and your 'soft' image has better detail on the roof tiles on the second building along on the right than your 'normal' image, focus is ok, what you're seeing is the difference due to lighting changes, any dashcam is a one size fits all adjustment to try and work in the widest variety of situations, some scenes are going to look better than others at times, this is normal

I'm not sure I agree. I don't remember my Mini 0801 having this much difference between sunny/cloudy, if any.

On my last comparison yesterday, there is no difference in conditions, but the issue still shows.

On the 3rd set, I was standing still. Difference in shutter speed, should not matter.

At speed, on a sunnier day, I would even expect a faster shutter speed and sharper image. Different white balances also don't affect focus...
The roof tiles on the second set on the right indeed appear better defined on the "soft" image, but that's because the sun is hitting them from the side, increasing their contrast. The footpath on the right at the same time looks less defined, or if you look at the "hedge" on the left in front of the shopping mall, you'll clearly see the "soft" image being, well, softer. Also the text on the billboards, the lamp posts, the zebra crossing, or the windows on the furthest building are clearly softer, and it's not motion blur (of which there should actually be less).

Also, if it were true what you said, any drive on a sunny day would cause a soft-focus, which is simply not te case, even not when driving into the sun.

Sunny: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/6tqq89lymwqp0j6/normal_extra6.jpg
Partially cloudy: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/o935jsqmlekfefl/normal_extra5.jpg
Cloudy: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/t259ozvtxbqzf7o/normal_extra7.jpg

Ignoring the obvious difference in contrast due to low dynamic range, it should be clear by looking at the building on the center/right, the hedges, the small sign on the right, or the trees, that the sharpness itself is identical, despite the different conditions.
Any apparent increase in sharpness on the sunny screengrabs, like the rooftiles you mentioned, or in this case for example the pavement, is only due to higher local contrast.

Another example:

Sunny: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/f89kwwn9juqq4hz/normal_extra8.jpg
Cloudy: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/cmqbeqr4k0zc8mo/normal_extra9.jpg

Again, ignoring inevitable problems due to the sensor's low dynamic range while pointed at the sun, looking to the left, the brick wall, but especially the big tree's branches, the inherent sharpness is identical, as expected.
This is completely different from the "sunny soft" examples I posted yesterday, where the image appeared soft no matter where you looked on the frame and no matter in what direction the sun was at.

What's different here is these were all taken with normal interior temps, in the morning, with the car having been inside the garage...

(Weather will turn for the worse again next week, so I won't be able to provide other comparisons, but I actually believe what I've already shown should make it clear there's a temperature dependent problem. When we get another "hot" day (again, it's never even been over 15-20°C outside, not even in the affected screengrabs), I'll try and gather some data without the CPL, but I think a lens and/or lens-housing temperature related problem is much more likely than a "deforming" flat piece of CPL glass...)

Last edited:
Dashcam and phone cam doesnt have shutter speed physically.
Do you update to the lastest firmware ? I dont see any speed display on footages.

Speed display is disabled.
I have
date:2016-11-28
ver:SG20161128.V3 (Update 4) suits SG9665GC V2 and SG9665GC V3 cameras

Today is going to be the last sunny day and the hottest this year so far (21°C). I'll be running another experiment today.

Back