My Gripes with X2

I've just had a lockup and noticed that its getting to the splash screen, then going blank. Surely if its failing at this stage, its pre-boot and the cards aren't even being read?

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be going back as well tonight. Had not recording lockups with this version. Just wanted to try the new improved update.

Going back to 1.01.09 would mean going back to X2 deep-cycling my car battery, draining it to 12v (at 12.4 setting) and around 30% capacity a few times a month at least. Staying on the latest firmware means I'd have to get MLC cards to get any hope of stability. My previous camera was good enough to set and forget until I needed the footage. This one I couldn't even permanently mount behind the rearview mirror like I normally do with my dashcams, cause the X2 requires daily checking and tilting the mirror back-n-forth makes the mirror mount loose fairly quickly.

Overall I'm disappointed. I'm probably leaving it attached to the current car when I sell it in a few months.

Loaded up 1.01.09 last night. No issues at -5F this morning starting. Recorded about three hours then shutdown I would think for low battery. Startup and stops today no issues recorded fine. Set at 12.4 cut off. Hey I'm back to not being able to shut beep off by at least it's recording and not locking up.

Loaded up 1.01.09 last night. No issues at -5F this morning starting. Recorded about three hours then shutdown I would think for low battery. Startup and stops today no issues recorded fine. Set at 12.4 cut off. Hey I'm back to not being able to shut beep off by at least it's recording and not locking up.

so, in parking mode it was able to record 3 hours at -5F, right ?

Here is my startup video from yesterday. Records in parking mode and responds. Turn on the ignition, goes dead.

Here is my startup video from yesterday. Records in parking mode and responds. Turn on the ignition, goes dead.

I had same many time with v1.02.04. The trick to go from black screen on the start up is to turn off ignition and start again ( double start ), but this is not right X2 should start first time, thats why I went to v1.01.09

I had same many time with v1.02.04. The trick to go from black screen on the start up is to turn off ignition and start again ( double start ), but this is not right X2 should start first time, thats why I went to v1.01.09
I had the same thing only when my battery is low, but when it is charged does not go dead, always goes to drive mode.
So i got my multimeter to measure what is the voltage when the x2 is in parking mode and recording, and then i turn the ignition on to see how the voltage changes. From parking mode recording was 12.23, than turn the ignition on and drops to 12.06. Mine is set to cut off at 12.1, so i thing its normal from parking and recording turning the ignition on to go dead, it goes below the set voltage cut off. When the ignition is turned on many things draw power from the battery and the voltage drops. When in parking and recording, starting the car, i never had the x2 turning off, even in the mornings when the battery is low.

I'm guessing it's already in the logic but maybe the BDP needs to add a counter where it only turns off it it goes below a certain value for say a minute as in the scheme of things 1 minute below the cut off voltage wouldn't hurt and might stop those sorts of things - if the voltage goes back up it just cancels the shutdown and carries on.

Last edited:
I'm guessing it's already in the logic but maybe the BDP needs to add a counter where it only turns off it it goes below a certain value for say a minute as in the scheme of things 1 minute below the cut off voltage wouldn't hurt and might stop those sorts of things.
Agree that would be sensible

Anyone encounter this problem? When you go to the Play folder, you can press the Front folder and it will show you the recorded files. But when you press the Rear folder in Play mode, there is no respond. It just highlight the Rear folder ..it will not go into the files list. But if you press on the Front folder..it go in.
You have to unplug the power cable and plug back so that you can access the rear folder in the Play mode.
Firmware 1.02.04 and 1.02.03 both having the same problem.
And for 1.02.03 using MLC card, encounter the same hang issue as everyone is talking.

I know i started this thread, but touch wood, my X2's have both been running great... I am impressed. They were bundled with Toshiba 32Gb MicroSD cards which i believe are non MLC. Both cams are running 1.02.04.
There are some minor issues but nothing to worry about. For example, i can only mute one microphone ( front or rear ) but not both at the same time. Enabling\disabling either one will reverse the other... Doesn't make sense.

The real test tho will be in Summer when temps reach 40degC and around 65-70 inside the car. That's when i am expecting real issues to crop up.

I know i started this thread, but touch wood, my X2's have both been running great... I am impressed. They were bundled with Toshiba 32Gb MicroSD cards which i believe are non MLC. Both cams are running 1.02.04.
There are some minor issues but nothing to worry about. For example, i can only mute one microphone ( front or rear ) but not both at the same time. Enabling\disabling either one will reverse the other... Doesn't make sense.

The real test tho will be in Summer when temps reach 40degC and around 65-70 inside the car. That's when i am expecting real issues to crop up.

Which FW you running ?

What are your setting for parking mode?

I'm running 1.2.4 here on two X2s, haven't seen the mic issue on mine, knock on wood. The microphone not sticking issue is something I've seen in the past. I would recommend flashing the same 1.2.4 FW again. In the past I have experienced strange issues that went away after re-flashing the FW.

The first thing I pointed out after purchasing this product is the excellent customer service I got from Jon of Pier28.

I've had this thing for a few weeks now and I have to say it's one of the worst purchases I've ever made. Not because I didn't know what I was purchasing, after all I did a lot of research into dash cams for weeks before making my purchase. Rather, it's the worst purchase because this product should never have been placed on the market and I did not get the product that was advertised to me. No one got what they purchased.

This device is very unstable at best and as such should still be in its beta phase. Half the time, one or both cards get corrupted when I start the car, which means I literally have no dash cam half the time. Then because I have to take the cards home with me to format/repair them, I can't make use of parking mode.

With all due respect, this issue needs to be resolved or I want my money back. This device has been and still is, total trash. And as someone pointed out, we don't pay premium price for a totally unreliable device that is hardly worth anything and cannot be trusted. I'm not spending my days wrestling with this thing and cleaning cards to get it to work, only to have it get corrupted within a few hours.

Back