My Gripes with X2

vvulture

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have 2 of these on order but already starting to regret my purchase..( currently stuck in customs for 4 days now )

I know i've already expressed my concerns in another thread, but i felt like adding more to this without hijacking the other thread.

Basically, i've spent time reading through several threads getting a good idea on what to expect. So far, i'm not filled with confidence.

Lets be real here... these devices aren't cheap. 2 of them cost me over AU$1000.
So, if they are to be sold at a premium price, they should behave as a premium device out of the box with unquestionable reliability. No one can argue with this.

But it seems however, that these devices suffer from bugs that in my opinion should be non-existent.
Reliability is the main concern for me as i am sure it is for all of you too... the x2 needs to record\perform reliably, time after time after time, and be able to handle voltage fluctuations during vehicle startup. This seems to be the main issue with this product as it will cause all sorts of issues with memory cards, especially data corruption. NOT ACCEPTABLE.

There needs to be a greater amount of pressure put on the manufacturers in order to fix these issues. If they are going to charge premium money, then they should be prepared to provide premium support.
The last few Firmwares seem to have achieved nothing in terms of reliability and stability.

I was a beta tester with my last dascham, and i don't wanna be one again. Not asking for too much.

From customer point of view I totally understand and agree with most what you say. Many bugs has been already fixed, but there are still some issues where developer are working on, so hopefully they will be resolved soon.

Thank you for the reply Niko...
Whilst i understand that the developer is working on resolving bugs, reliability should not be one of them at this price point.
I would have no concern if the "bugs" in questions were simply to improve non-critical features instead of trying to get reliability\stability sorted out, which in all honesty should've been sorted out prior to going out for sale.

Developer priority atm, without question, NEEDS to be reliability and stability. Anything else needs to be on the backburner for now.. New features can wait..

Just make sure you get MLC sd cards, i would recommend lexar 32gb or 64gb 633x. I agree that premium product should perform flawlessly. But as all high end cars use only premium fuel, the x2 requires premium sd cards. For instance gopro hero 4 does not work properly with any sd card, even high end cards, but Lexar, which seams to be the best out there.

The developer works very hard to solve the issues, and the supliers of the panorama products provide the best service.

Korean manufacturers use MLC type memory for their testings , and i guess that is why the product looks good when in their hands, so the release it to the market. If im not mistaken they recommend MLC type sd cards.

I'll be switching my X2 bundles to use MLC cards as soon as we confirm from a few more users that Lexar is the best. So far so good with the few that are testing now.

I completely and utterly agree with the op. It cost me $750 NZD to get one camera and there has been no progress with the last 2 or 3 updates. There seems to be little alpha testing and the beta testing is too short. The last 2 updates should not have been released in all honesty.

It'd not just bug fixes, the rear camera gsensor doesn't work at all. And to top it off it sounds like I'll be spend more money on changing the bundled cards.

What cards does the developer use as there have been comments he is unable to replicate the issues?

I agree with you on this one, the releases don't seem to fix much most of the time.

The fact that it's not playing ball with my Samsung EVO MicroSD cards is hardly acceptable, they're pretty decent cards...

I'll continue doing my best so help sort this out.

Samsung EVO cards are problematic across many DashCam products not just Panorama.

So far reports coming in are telling me Lexar MLC cards are stable. I'd like more people to try MLC cards as this could be the fastest solution.

I've had no problems at all with my Samsung EVO 64GB and a cheap GSkill 64GB micro SD cards in my Blacksys CF-100, which is also a 2 channel with the same resolution and probably similar bandwidth requirements as the X2. In fact, I've had very little trouble at all with cheap SD and micro SD + adapter cards in all my previous dashcams, though none were in the Panorama line.

KuoH

Samsung EVO cards are problematic across many DashCam products not just Panorama.

I'll continue doing my best so help sort this out.
I'd like more people to try MLC cards as this could be the fastest solution.

Jon, i appreciate your efforts in trying to sort this out, but this is not the way to go about it.

I for one, would be really annoyed if i spent money on new microSD cards and they didn't fix the problem. I'm already annoyed enough as it is, wishing i'd seen these threads prior to purchase..
This is something the developer needs to do on our behalf, but in all honesty i expect the bundled cards to be adequate for proper operation, which i'm guessing will not be.

It's quite frustrating that they can't reproduce the problem in the lab for sure. This is the biggest road block.

Here are the MLC microSD cards we are looking to test. So far Lexar is stable in the X2. Maybe it has something to do with the pre-buffer clearing faster when transitioning from parking go to driving mode. Not all cameras can pre-buffer like the panorama does and the X2 has much more going on.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mlc-microsd-cards.10294/

Last edited by a moderator:
What strikes me as really odd is that I am only getting a corrupted sdcard on the front camera. Last time I got the 'insert front card' error (probably 6th time through the various firmwares), I decided to swap my cards as I thought perhaps the front card was faulty. However, just now after about a week in operation I started my card and got the dreaded 'insert front sdcard' error again. Given both cams are the same spec, I don't know why only the front card is getting corruption.

If korean manufactures are using MLC based card, then why are they not recommending resellers to also recommend MLC based cards? I was under the impression the 64GB transcend was the best card on the market for these X2s. Obviously this is not the case and I am out $50 plus the cost to purchase the MLC lexar cards. I still doubt that the card is actually the issue and I think its something related to the device itself as it happens quite frequently (bout once a week) and only corrupts the front card. I am not using the voltage detection as it caused the corruption more frequently. I am using parking mode, but I have it set at 6 hours.

It's quite frustrating that they can't reproduce the problem in the lab for sure. This is the biggest road block.
So what cards are they using? Give him a set of transcend 64Gb x300's

I still doubt that the card is actually the issue and I think its something related to the device itself as it happens quite frequently (bout once a week) and only corrupts the front card. .

I agree.. i'm not convinced the cards are to blame.. There's something else at play here.

If we are to be assisting the developer\manufacturer in debugging their equipment, then they should provide us with either the cards to do it with, or some sort of financial assistance. I sure as hell don't wanna be forking out money for testing purposes. Come to think of it, i don't wanna do any testing. period.. i just want to "Plug N Play"..

I'm getting the lockups but touch wood no corruption on the cards. Using voltage and parking mode.

Try this.. Disable the BDP and just use 6hours or 12hours to shutdown the camera when the time is up and see if anything happens for the time being..

Try this.. Disable the BDP and just use 6hours or 12hours to shutdown the camera when the time is up and see if anything happens for the time being..
I turned it off altogether last time and it still made no difference. It was set to drive only. Also it won't help my lockups while I'm driving.

I've not had any lock ups while driving with the Lexar cards - I have potentially found a way to trip up the BDP logic but need to do more testing today on that one but it only affects the X2 if it's already breached the voltage control and you keep switching between engine off and ACC on (but engine not running) and it will lock up as it gets confused. If I just start the engine as you normally would it fires up and starts recording every time so far.

I only saw lockups while driving with the 1.01.09 20Mbps firmware and that crashed out quite a few times on me. Daft question but if you leave the screen on when it goes does the screen go black or it just locks up and the clock etc stops?

With the Lexar cards I haven't taken them out of the camera for more than ten days now since it's been on this firmware it has just soldiered on as you'd expect it to behave.

I don't want to remove them for as long as possible to see if I can recreate any of the grey box / front card missing errors that you guys are getting with these Lexar 633x cards.

I have my voltage control set to 12.1V currently - there's definitely something different in the code for the front card but what that is only SungMoon and the engineers will be able to see. It could be as simple as it's a timing thing where something is closed on the rear card before the first card but it's all speculation without us being able to see the actual logic.

Its been 2 weeks without a single lock up, or gray box, or anything like that. This is when i changed my sd cards, and it seams that the cam is happy with the fast sd cards. There is one thing that needs to be improved, when g sensor is triggered in parking mode both cams front and rear should record. Curently i have only one good sd card in the front slot, and im getting another one for the rear to see if that will help.

On the whole i haven't been too disappointed with my X2 and I'm using the recommended transcend 300x 32gb cards that came bundled from Pier28.
My main issue has been when I randomly have no rear parking mode files for a couple of days and I've had bad experiences with people ripping the side of my car off while I've been parked up and I don't want to be in the situation where the camera hasn't recorded such an incident.
I would be very very annoyed if I had to fork out for new cards, although I'm happy to pay a bit to upgrade to larger capacity ones

Back