My Mobius Maxi

Are you referring to the video encoding in 2.7k mode? I understand the DSP is limited to 1080p60 in h264 mode, but it is evidently capable of higher resolution with mjpeg video.

There do appear to be some file compatibility issues with the mjpeg video. I normally clip video segments using avidemux, but it doesn't like the Maxi files either.

Trimming works with QT. Problem is stripping audio without altering the video in any way.

Just read through - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_JPEG

Encoding

M-JPEG is an intraframe-only compression scheme (compared with the more computationally intensive technique of interframe prediction). Whereas modern interframe video formats, such as MPEG1, MPEG2 and H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, achieve real-world compression ratios of 1:50 or better, M-JPEG's lack of interframe prediction limits its efficiency to 1:20 or lower, depending on the tolerance to spatial artifacting in the compressed output. Because frames are compressed independently of one another, M-JPEG imposes lower processing and memory requirements on hardware devices.

As a purely intraframe compression scheme, the image quality of M-JPEG is directly a function of each video frame's static (spatial) complexity. Frames with large smooth transitions or monotone surfaces compress well and are more likely to hold their original details with few visible compression artifacts. Frames exhibiting complex textures, fine curves and lines (such as writing on a newspaper) are prone to exhibit DCT artifacts such as ringing, smudging, and macroblocking. M-JPEG-compressed video is also insensitive to motion complexity, i.e. variation over time. It is neither hindered by highly random motion (such as the water-surface turbulence in a large waterfall), nor helped by the absence of motion (such as static landscape shot by tripod), which are two opposite extremes commonly used to test interframe video formats.

It tolerates rapidly changing motion in the video stream, whereas compression schemes using interframe compression can often experience unacceptable quality loss when the video content changes significantly between each frame.

No wonder there's so little motion blur.

From the Mate808 camera thread in rcgroups:
"MJPG file size efficiency is low - The 1080p video files are very large, about 400 MB per minute. Video codec is MJPG, not H.264, so the compression efficiency is low and the file size is large. But MJPG offers more power efficiency and less hardware cost, so the camera can be smaller, lighter and cheaper. The AVI file consists of a series of video frame chunks stored as JPG images, and the audio is stored as chunks of PCM data. The video player reconstructs all this interleaved information."

It tolerates rapidly changing motion in the video stream, whereas compression schemes using interframe compression can often experience unacceptable quality loss when the video content changes significantly between each frame.
No wonder there's so little motion blur.
Yes, that does seem to be one of the benefits of MJPG which is useful for dashcams. The downsides include high bitrates and large video files. Purely for recording video evidence of moving cars, I find this to be an acceptable compromise. I will stick with my A119 or A129 for long duration parking mode though.

Second time, stops recording and hangs, both LEDs stay lit up and pressing the reset button is the only way to turn the camera off and then it turns back on as if nothing happened.

IMG_1877.png

Second time, stops recording and hangs, both LEDs stay lit up and pressing the reset button is the only way to turn the camera off and then it turns back on as if nothing happened.

View attachment 39922

Might be card related. Definitely make sure to eliminate that as a possible culprit. Knowing you, you've probably already done that, but I'm just sayin'.

First time was when I'd had the camera for just a couple of days and then yesterday.

It's a new 128GB EVO Plus (U3), been working fine since it hung the first time around, it's the camera.

Mine have been working flawless.

I've swapped it with the card in the A129. Let's see.

Did it start recording and then stop, or just fail to auto-start?

Started recording like it should (both times), c0cked up during the trip, noticed it hung on turning off the ignition as the LEDs were still lit up.

Maybe a little firmware refinement will help with lockups.
It is a new camera, sort of expected.
It's the only camera I have that webcam mode can lock the camera up (from the computer side).
No problem at home, Pin to reset, play some more, but on our last trip (1900 miles round trip) it locked up on the road. OFF, could not turn on.
Charge light with key on.
I guess I could have found something to push the reset pin at a rest stop but just changed to another camera.

I always carry a bent paper clip in my truck for those rare times when I need to press a re-set button.

Oh, I could have found something to reset it but how many hours went by that I didn't notice it wasn't recording?
I'll keep it as a toy for now until I have enough confidence in it to trust it for capturing something important.

Trying to open the housing but the right screw seems to have been overtightened during assembly and the thread has gone free, won't open.

Why is Mobius relying on flimsy plastic acting as a nut. I suggest replacing the screw with metal nut & bolt that can be tightened with a regular screw driver or a hex key. Have had to throw away 1 M2 and 3 M1 housings because the left screw stops biting into the thread after the camera has been opened and reassembled 2 or 3 times.

Trying to open the housing but the right screw seems to have been overtightened during assembly and the thread has gone free, won't open.

Why is Mobius relying on flimsy plastic acting as a nut. I suggest replacing the screw with metal nut & bolt that can be tightened with a regular screw driver or a hex key. Have had to throw away 1 M2 and 3 M1 housings because the left screw stops biting into the thread after the camera has been opened and reassembled 2 or 3 times.

I've encountered the same issues. One fix-it for a stripped out screw hole on the Mobius case is to fill the hole with a an appropriate glue and "re-tap" the threads with the screw. UV cement works pretty well for this purpose as it is slightly pliable after setting up.

I've encountered the same issues. One fix-it for a stripped out screw hole on the Mobius case is to fill the hole with a an appropriate glue and "re-tap" the threads with the screw. UV cement works pretty well for this purpose as it is slightly pliable after setting up.

I've tried UV glue multiple times, works when applied and tightened but the screw loses hold as the camera warms up. This looks like a better option.

Back