My new car's windshield is chipped by a rock...

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
Was coming back from dealership and few gravel rocks flew from truck few cars in front and one hit my windshield.
It scooped some glass where it hit.
I don't see a crack but that may happen there soon.
Couldn't get in front of the truck due to traffic and it went away.
To make matter worse, I only had one dashcam in the car when I took it to dealership and it didn't record anything but even if it did record a rock hitting my windshield, I'm not sure what could have been done.
Pretty bummed. :(

Sad story for sure, sorry to hear about it, but thats not the end of the life. Most important you are alive, have both arms, legs, and health. Rest in our life is just commodity which comes and goes.

Bummer :(

I never had any issues with chipped windscreens before i started to buy brand new cars, but then i also got both cars chipped within months, and my current little Suzuki even had the right front door window broken before the car was 3 months old. ( vandalism )

Sad story for sure, sorry to hear about it, but thats not the end of the life. Most important you are alive, have both arms, legs, and health. Rest in our life is just commodity which comes and goes.
Of course, I'm just bummed, worst is I have to replace the windshield, not a life changing incident. ;)

Bummer :(

I never had any issues with chipped windscreens before i started to buy brand new cars, but then i also got both cars chipped within months, and my current little Suzuki even had the right front door window broken before the car was 3 months old. ( vandalism )

I've been lucky mostly.
In my almost 20 years driving, I only had to replace windshield twice before.
One of current vehicles also has cracked windshield but it's on the lower end so doesn't block anything.

Here are the pics: It doesn't look big but it's like a spoon scooped glass out. There is a big dimple and a small chip above that both from the same rock but I heard more than few rocks hitting the car, just not the windshield. I think it's almost short of making a hole. If I go over a big bump, it may crack.

DSC04856-chip.jpg

DSC04857-chip.jpg

If there's not a crack or spidering, I'd see if one of the injected expoxy guys will fix it. (if your deductible is high) It may be worth trying. 'Some' insurance companies will pay totally for this instead of a new windshield, also.

If there's not a crack or spidering, I'd see if one of the injected expoxy guys will fix it. (if your deductible is high) It may be worth trying. 'Some' insurance companies will pay totally for this instead of a new windshield, also.
I think that's what I'll do.
There's a place that does it for free with a tip.

Your case sure beat mine. My suv hybrid is 3 months old and was chipped on the highway from oncoming cars. Cruising and no car in front then sounds like a shot was fired. Left mark right in my line of sight. Bummer is right.
Wonder if installing a bug deflector will help in my case.

That's what I was going to recommend. I had the same thing happen about two years ago and the repair has been fine. I actually caught the moment it happened on video out on the interstate. It sounded like a bullet hitting the glass. If I can find the file maybe I'll post it.

Wonder if installing a bug deflector will help in my case.
Only if the rock bounces off the deflector first. They are too heavy to be much diverted from their inertial path by winds.

If you have S.C. car insurance even if it's only liability coverage, your insurance company has to fix your windshield if it's damaged by road debris. You file a Police report by phone, you are given a case number, you take that number to your insurer and then they make the arrangements or tell you who to call for service. That didn't help me with my 'bonfire Buick' though; it had a crack which I hadn't acted on when I changed insurers so I had to pay. A brand new windshield cost me $125, but if it was an insurance job he would have charged $385. Auto Glass is a good business to be in here :rolleyes:

Phil

Ya, there is no point claiming insurance.
I have $500 deductible and new windshield maybe less.

Ya, there is no point claiming insurance.
I have $500 deductible and new windshield maybe less.
Talk to your insurance carrier. For $5 (maybe $10) a year per car I have full glass coverage - $0 deductible. This is an addendum to the normal comprehensive insurance so, as best I know, you can't get just the glass coverage.

I think it's almost short of making a hole. If I go over a big bump, it may crack.
If that happens you'll be lucky because insurance usually covers a cracked windshield replacement but not a chipped one, at least over here.
My car's windshiled is full of very visible chips, some of them pretty deep. I went to the Glassdrive shop over here to see if the chips could be filled with epoxy but they told me it wouldn't do any good because they wouldn't disappear. I asked how much a replacement would cost and they said that since it's covered by the insurance, I just had to wait until it cracks or find a "creative" way of cracking it by "accident". :rolleyes:

I know why the dashcam didn't record.
Viofo A119 was waiting for format prompt.
@viofo really need to fix this.
Prompting is fine but not recording until user input us bad.
The way it's mounted, it's not easy to see the screen unless you move your head underneath.

I know why the dashcam didn't record.
Viofo A119 was waiting for format prompt.
@viofo really need to fix this.
Prompting is fine but not recording until user input us bad.
The way it's mounted, it's not easy to see the screen unless you move your head underneath.

no beeps when it prompted?

I had this happen to our brand new Flex - twice - on a recent trip. Call Safelite. They can fix the windshield, and it won't cost you a dime. If you replace it, you'll pay your deductible (mine is $500).

no beeps when it prompted?
Nothing. It did it again today, in fact, there are no videos of the dealership maintenance while the Chupad D501 has videos of every start.
I formatted SD card in the A119 to see if it stops doing it.

I had this happen to our brand new Flex - twice - on a recent trip. Call Safelite. They can fix the windshield, and it won't cost you a dime. If you replace it, you'll pay your deductible (mine is $500).
Safelite?
What's that?

Your insurance will pay for windshield repairs with $0 deductible. Insurance replacement requires that you pay your deductible. Most insurance companies are setup with Safelite, and Safelite will come to your car and fix it on site. I'd done it twice now.

Back