My new G1W-C interferes with my GPS. Has anyone else had this problem?

Norm I. Leaky

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
G1W-C
I got my G1W-C about a week ago and came up with a nice-looking homemade mount right behind my Garmin nüvi 40LM GPS. Then I discovered that it was all for nothing because as soon as the camera came on the GPS could no longer see any satellites! I managed to rearrange things so that the two devices are about 12 inches apart, and my GPS now works satisfactorily, although the satellite reception is still downgraded.

I didn't notice any posts here about this problem, although I might have missed them. Has anyone else reported this problem? Has anyone tried to find a cure aside from just separating the two devices?

yeah can happen, there's no electrical shielding of any kind on most of those, ideal place for a camera and the ideal place to have a GPS are generally nowhere near each other in most vehicles so probably doesn't come up as an issue too often

If your GPS has a separate antenna, move that as far from the cam as possible. Otherwise distance between the units may solve the problem. Cams that accept GPS input probably have better electrical shielding so you may need to upgrade cams if you can't otherwise solve this issue.

Phil

My Streetguardian SGCZ12RC has the same issue. Initially it completely made any GPS-fix impossible. I did some investigation and found both the lens housing and an adaptor cable to be causing this. The cable itself is shielded, however the connectors obviously are not. After wrapping the connectors with kitchen foil it helped some, at least now my Waze-app is up and working again, however the Garmin navigator still has a weak fix - at best. Out in the open it works reasonably well, but as soon I'm driving in cities high buildings seem to make the navigator to lose its satellite fix. I'm having my fingers crossed the (hopefully soon released) replacement lens to fix the heat issue also will correct this annoying problem.

If you have connectors/adaptors the interference might originate from there (as well). Try wrap stuff in kitchen foil to see if it helps.

Back