nanoQ 0903

16M Bitrate looks really good in daytime. Not sure about nighttime yet.

but, the file will be 470MB for a 3 minutes video.

Yes but sd cards have become so cheap... Ideal would be if you could set the bitrate in the settings, so everyone can choose what they prefer
I had a 5:08 hour journey on Friday, at the end the 64GB memory card was still less than half full. 64GB memory cards are cheap these days, there is no need to use anything smaller and I never need to fit more than 6 hours on 1 card. Some people may want to do so but most will prefer higher quality. I think 18Mbps is about right for high quality using this processor.

Unfortunately my 0903 started off focused too close, was good for 10 minutes but then became focused too far! I have a few other problems with it too so I don't get much good video from it, but it is an early one, if the problems are all sorted then it should be a nice dashcam.

And here another video with the 20MBit firmware (this time in my car):

(I had to rotate the video by 180° in youtube, forgot to change it on the cam...)

re-focus will not works for the pre-production nanoQs as there is lens base problem in the pre-production batch. the vendor provide working lens base samples but deliver the degrade ones. Our fault, we havn't done temperature cycle test again on the production cameras again. We have set the QC guide for more test now.

for the pre-production nanoQs, we have to recall them back for factory rework. We hope the users how got the pre-production batch can help on recall process. Especially the users in Australia or other areas between tropic of cancer & carpricorn, the summer will heat the camera up and focus changes.

and the M12 17*17mm lens base is not so common to find anywhere, I guess it is not easy for users to get this lens base locally.

SORRY

@Rayman.Chan
What is the specs of the lens. I may want to buy a all metal m12 mount. I've found many but i am unsure as to which one will fit the current lens.

Nice video, what is the maximum bit rate you can use on the camera ? I got a clip before that only had 11Mbps
and that was to low, this 23Mbps is perfect, good enough bit rate. Great.

But how about the sound ? Is it only PCM ?

To bad if you can not select AAC 48kHz instead, and 128 kbit/s for stereo up to 320 kbit/s if you need it, but just like with MP3 at 128 what is most common, ok for sound.
I bet the chip supports it, and even if PCM produces better sound, it will take up some space of the file, that could be used for video instead.

Perhaps that will come in a firmware update, nice to have PCM as well but you should be able to select AAC if you prefer that.

lacibaci, great video.

I think the quality is somewhat lacking in sharpness but I think that is due to the camera not having a sort of stedicam (stedycam) mounting
like most people use with FPV drones. Unfortunately is it kind of hard finding a mount for that to use in a car, as you have
to make your own, or can you buy one for cars that have this function to eliminate bumps and shaking from the care in the video ?

Now the hunt for all metal base and F1.4 lens begins :) @blake let us know when you find something.

the firmware will be adjusted to suit the characteristics of that lens, changing the lens base won't be a problem but a different spec lens can throw things way off

I'm wondering if an even lower f number would be really useful for dash cams as the depth of field reduces with decreasing f numbers (only objects at a specific distance are in focus).

My goal is to run an F1.6 lens with CPL filter always on. The cpl will cut 2 stops so the firmware should be ok but it will still be the brightest dashcam with cpl available.

Must be a dark filter if it cuts 2 stops, typically they cut 1 stop
Im assuming the $10 dollar one i got isn't the highest quality. In either case, it will for sure get back to the F1.7 it expects to be working with. So in theory it should work well. Once i receive the parts i will know for sure.

Be a lot darker than 1.7, I'd try it on the existing lens before trying any other lenses though anyway

Be a lot darker than 1.7, I'd try it on the existing lens before trying any other lenses though anyway
Right, it works fine on the existing lens but at night it causes the camera to push iso high as possible and motion blur happens (with cpl). If i can reduce the amount of work required even by a little bit with a f1.6 lens vs f1.7 while using a cpl filter, thats a win for me.

1.6 to 1.7 isn't going to make an appreciable difference
every bit counts. Im more interested in seeing the 100 degree fov.

Doing some math:
with the f1.7 lens and a cpl filter, i am looking at ~f2.4
with the f1.6 lens and a cpl filter, i am looking at ~f2.25

That is pretty decent in terms of exposure time about 1/4th of a stop faster.

Last edited:
Datakam 6 Max use a f1.2 lens

Unfortunately my 0903 started off focused too close, was good for 10 minutes but then became focused too far! I have a few other problems with it too so I don't get much good video from it, but it is an early one, if the problems are all sorted then it should be a nice dashcam.

sorry Nigle, I will arrange a new lens for you, I believe you have the skill to do the mod work

Datakam 6 Max use a f1.2 lens
Yea F1.2 is a little insane. The DOF on that is wafer-thin. For sure only the center of the video would be in focus, all edges would be more out of focus.

Back