nanoQ 0903

Haven't read all the posts but here are issues I found during testing:
[Note: It is a pre-production sample so obviously has few issues.]
Focus is sharp only in a small center area, everywhere else, it's out of focus.
Not sure if heat makes it worse but it's pretty bad to start with.

Exposure is off. It's very bright when there are white clouds or anything bright.

Purple fringing on trees.

Even when the mount is tight, there is some vibration/rattling when the vehicle moves from stop.
I've tried in different angle and tightness but that is there.
Probably, the mount needs to be little bigger.

The small square plastic clip to lock the mount into the camera is too small.
Extra GoPro style mount (the one without charging pins) doesn't even have that small plastic lock tab so the camera just slides out. I have multiple of those extra mounts and none of them have those tabs. It's just flat. :eek:

Few screenshots:
25621382255_bbe340171b_o.jpg

oof:
24994661173_9f83e4f912_o.jpg

25253827179_80c9b9e207_o.jpg

25528707941_bd560da464_o.jpg

Oof way too much.

Last edited:
Wow that's terrible footage and as you say well out of focus and over exposed and I would expect more from a $20 cam.

OMG Out Of Focus is a common theme, I hope someone will post the re-focus procedure to help the rest of us new NANOq DIY'er so we won't have to send it back to manufacture. TIA.

Its pretty obvious that @Sunny received a pre production unit. He ordered his from diggcams like 3 weeks before me.

Its pretty obvious that @Sunny received a pre production unit. He ordered his from diggcams like 3 weeks before me.
Yes, it's sample and issues need to be/ should be sorted.

Wow Sunny, if the focus of your sample can't be improved, there is only one place where this cam belongs - the garbage bin :(

I would have thought as it is a "sample" for review it would have been tested and tested again before it was shipped out as first impressions always count.

I hope the ones that is being shipped now today have no such problems and all rectified with feedback from the sample testers.

I would have thought as it is a "sample" for review it would have been tested and tested again before it was shipped out as first impressions always count.

I hope the ones that is being shipped now today have no such problems and all rectified with feedback from the sample testers.

All the orders made from diggcams moving forward should be good to go. I will know for sure when my replacement arrives in the mail. I will do a comparison.

I was getting worried as I ordered last week from diggcams and I hope you are right in they are good to go, I suppose only time will tell.

Last week should be the final units. I ordered last week and was assured for my exchange that all of their inventory is final.

@Sunny, please use this firmware to update your nanoQ and have a try again.
the IQ in last firmware was adjusted to improve the night view but seems too much for day light.

3.29 log:
1, revise GPS STAMP on screen
2, correct SCREEN OFF DELAY
3, correct time zone setting -- please test
4, optimize IQ setting, reduce the exposure -- please test
5, correct HDR icon display
6, increase video bit rate to 16M and 20M, please test

16M bit rate version:
www.nanodashcamera.com/firmware/mar.29/mini0903-20160329-test16M.7z
20M bit rate version:
www.nanodashcamera.com/firmware/mar.29/mini0903-20160329-test20M.7z

guys please check if this exposure is ok for both day and night, and if the different bit rates works for you camera&card.
looking forward your feedback.
Thanks
Rayman

OMG Out Of Focus is a common theme, I hope someone will post the re-focus procedure to help the rest of us new NANOq DIY'er so we won't have to send it back to manufacture. TIA.

re-focus will not works for the pre-production nanoQs as there is lens base problem in the pre-production batch. the vendor provide working lens base samples but deliver the degrade ones. Our fault, we havn't done temperature cycle test again on the production cameras again. We have set the QC guide for more test now.

for the pre-production nanoQs, we have to recall them back for factory rework. We hope the users how got the pre-production batch can help on recall process. Especially the users in Australia or other areas between tropic of cancer & carpricorn, the summer will heat the camera up and focus changes.

and the M12 17*17mm lens base is not so common to find anywhere, I guess it is not easy for users to get this lens base locally.

SORRY

and the M12 17*17mm lens base is not so common to find anywhere, I guess it is not easy for users to get this lens base locally.

they'd never find it locally in Australia, some users may be able/willing to change the lens base themselves though if return is not economical or practical

Does the camera in @Sunny 's review have a different lens? Mine looks different:

Sunny's:
DSC04045-NanoQ-0826.jpg

Mine:
P1030303.JPG

I just received mine today (it should be the latest batch according to the seller).

My lens looks like this:
20160329_135216.jpg
Another thing I realised is that the GPS-mount doesn't clip into the camera (the little hatch which should clip-in doesn't attach properly):
20160329_135300.jpg
So it stays quite loose.

I updated the firmware and will do some tests later on.

I just received mine today (it should be the latest batch according to the seller).

My lens looks like this:
View attachment 21910
Another thing I realised is that the GPS-mount doesn't clip into the camera (the little hatch which should clip-in doesn't attach properly):
View attachment 21911
So it stays quite loose.

I updated the firmware and will do some tests later on.

The lens looks the same as mine. Maybe @Sunny had some kind of prototype? My GPS mount also doesn't "snap" but it is quite solid.
Be careful if you are using CPL filter - see my post about the (no) fit. Also, GPS wire is very short and fragile - I had to replace mine.

Yes I realised the too short GPS wire. You cannot move the cam very much if it is connected to the GPS mount. And the CPL filter doesn't fit (the lens is protruding too far out, so the filter isn't able to attach properly).

@Sunny, please use this firmware to update your nanoQ and have a try again.
the IQ in last firmware was adjusted to improve the night view but seems too much for day light.

3.29 log:
1, revise GPS STAMP on screen
2, correct SCREEN OFF DELAY
3, correct time zone setting -- please test
4, optimize IQ setting, reduce the exposure -- please test
5, correct HDR icon display
6, increase video bit rate to 16M and 20M, please test

16M bit rate version:
www.nanodashcamera.com/firmware/mar.29/mini0903-20160329-test16M.7z
20M bit rate version:
www.nanodashcamera.com/firmware/mar.29/mini0903-20160329-test20M.7z

guys please check if this exposure is ok for both day and night, and if the different bit rates works for you camera&card.
looking forward your feedback.
Thanks
Rayman

16Mbit PQ FW is looking great, but the manufacturing quality control needs to be stepped up a notch or 3.

I have a production 0903 that has a sensor housing that isn't sitting flat.

You can see the right side of the image. The only solution is to either send back the camera (china is a long ways away) or take apart the entire camera and see why its not sitting flush.

Attachments

• FocusProblem.PNG
    FocusProblem.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
our test engineer just told he found a bug of the high bit rate - the video stream will take the buffer so WiFi will not work when high bit rate recording.
we will check that again tomorrow.
Maybe you guys can tell how much difference between the 12M 16M and 20M videos?

Back