nanoQ 0903

I was stopped at stop light. Other dashcam should be able to get the sign perfectly. This dashcam seems to be foscus on the dashbaord.
Right. Looks like you are in for a re-focus procedure :) If you're going to do it, you should also make sure the base is flush with the circuit board.

I'm not that fond of refocusing a new equipment. Do you think this is due to plastic housing on lens or if a metal lens housing would prevented this? I could have sworn day 1 focus was acceptable. But in the sun a few days the focus seemed to have shifted.

I'm not that fond of refocusing a new equipment. Do you think this is due to plastic housing on lens or if a metal lens housing would prevented this? I could have sworn day 1 focus was acceptable. But in the sun a few days the focus seemed to have shifted.
There were some reports of substandard plastic being used for lens housing which caused focus shift. User @blake actually 3D printed his own...

Is the DashCam lens not set to Infinity ∞ focus ?
Or is it an autofocus lens setting that has been glued into a fixed focus setting at time of assembly / manufacture?

I'm slightly confused about the focusing considerations and potential need for fine tune adjustments / fixes in modern dashcams.
(I was an avid SLR photographer in the old "pre-digital" days of 35mm film cameras, and manual focus lenses and depth of field and aperture considerations … )

With Infinity ∞ focus, all items 1-2 Meters And Beyond your windscreen should be reasonably well focused.
If it were autofocus lens that was glued into a fixed focus position at the manufacturer, there would be too many variable parameters to consider, and variations to focusing on desired objects, compensating for visual effects of focusing through the automobile windscreen, etc.

(For nighttime, just the aperture or ISO would need to be automatically adjusted for light compensation?)

Can someone clarify this for me, please?

Last edited:
Here is another example. I think the licence plate is ok. But the signs blurriness is unacceptable. The Video is the same and still no SAT/GPS signal all 4 hr of driving. I'm sad at its performance.

Attachments

• 2016_0407_051012_001.JPG
    2016_0407_051012_001.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 35
Looks out of focus right side.

Too much hassle to do a re-focus. I will likely put it up on ebay for someone who would like to tinker with it. I like the nanoQ's concept but the product failed to deliver as promised. However, This will not deter me from buying the next dashcam.

Put it this way, as you mentioned for a DSLR it's an expensive product so the relative cost is not so much, for some of these dashcam/action cams the upfront cost of adding the exFAT license could add 30% to the factory cost of the camera

Ok a bit unclear, but that was the point I was going to make.

A DSLR is expensive anyway, so not a big deal if it has ExFAT but for a small action cam and as you say
30% more in price, that is a lot just for another file system.

What I do not understand is that (I guess) all action cams are running linux (busybox) so why is it not possible
to select ext3 or ext4 filsystem for a microSD card, if you have the need to get past the 4Gb FAT32 limit, for
me FAT32 is fine, I have no problem with using that. Just wondering.

I take it there are no licenses for them as they are linux specific or ?

What I do not understand is that (I guess) all action cams are running linux (busybox) so why is it not possible
to select ext3 or ext4 filsystem for a microSD card, if you have the need to get past the 4Gb FAT32 limit, for
me FAT32 is fine, I have no problem with using that. Just wondering.

the desire for exFAT is to do with being able to support large cards rather than large files

jokiin, ok, I did not know that. All though windows can be nasty when trying to get FAT32 onto different things, that is more a limitation
in windows and not FAT32 is self. I do understand that ExFAT is a better file system and adapted for the needs of MicroSD or SD cards.

But if that is the case, why are the charging so much for license, makes no sens at all ?

They should put the cost at the same level as FAT32, I bet that FAT32 would be gong within a few years ?

Or is there some other reason ExFAT is more expensive ?

jokiin, ah.

That is nasty, no wonder FAT32 is still alive. I think it is Microsoft who are to blame for this. That figures.

Even so, nice that FAT32 and 64Gb MicroSD cards work, better than being stuck with 32Gb

If consumers want to pay low price, the manufacturers must keep cost down. Not having to pay fee for FAT32 is another way of keeping the cost down. 64Gb is plenty of storage.

20mbps firmware night video:

Nice night video. Did u have gps on it? Everything seemed focused too. Did your nanoQ have any focuse issues?

Nice night video. Did u have gps on it? Everything seemed focused too. Did your nanoQ have any focuse issues?
It's actually out of focus in the corners.
GPS should be there, probably stamping is off.

In the dark, it's not that noticeable. It's the day time out of focus seems more noticeable. So your nanoQ is not have GPS issue?

I was stopped at stop light. Other dashcam should be able to get the sign perfectly. This dashcam seems to be foscus on the dashbaord.
you can disassemble it. And easy to fix that with no problem. Conneting it with a computer as a webcam.
Not every 0903 have focus issues.

Yes. I am running the 20M one. I have a 64MB card so I don't really care about increase in file size (which is about 500MB for 3min clip)
Rayman mentioned that there were some problems with wifi host in 20M version - but at the moment I don't care about it since it doesn't work with my phone anyway (Nexus 5x, Andriod 6.0.1)
If you use wifi host, get the 16M one.
Can you sent the 20 M firmware to me ? I can't find it anywhere. my email: pkshopvietnam@gmail.com. Thank you. :D

you can disassemble it. And easy to fix that with no problem. Connecting it with a computer as a webcam.
Not every 0903 have focus issues.
The point of a new product is that we shouldn't have to tinker with it so much. However, GPS, focus, & mount issue; it can take a toll on the end user. Luckily, my Git2 just arrive too so the nanoQ will be on the back burner. I'm hoping Rayman will bring a solution for those who are toying/tweeking with the product. I love the nanoQ. It's small and discreet. I like the fact the the night quality is almost on par as the SG's series without the $$$ price. But if I a choice to go back I would've paid $200 for the SG and not have to tinker with the nanoQ. I've made my bed, now I got to lie in it.;)

Back