Near collision in front of me, after an interchange

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
These interchanges from the express to collectors can be dangerous places. Cars immediately want to make a lane change to get to the exit.

To me, it looked like a near collision but both vehicles involved stopped at the shoulder.

At work. Will post the instructions as how I cropped the video this evening. Unfortunately I already deleted the clip before the near collision.

Yes, I reckon they hit or they wouldn't have pulled over. You can see the jolt at 42s.
Funny how the different cameras give different impressions. The first view made it look like the white car was to blame for slowing too much without reason. But the final view shows he was forced to slow by the car in front, and it was the yellow car that changed lanes too close to react to the slowing down.

Last edited:
I didn't hear any clashing of metal or see any damage or paint trading with either car, but I could be wrong. Drivers of both vehicles believe they may have hit each other

Funny how the different cameras give different impressions.

Same camera just zooming in using ffmpeg crop, zooming in on 3/8 of a the screen. -filter:v "crop=3/8*in_w:3/8*in_h

Code:
FFmpeg -y -i 2018_0307_071301_160.MP4 -ss 00:00:00.0 -to 00:00:14.5 -filter:v "crop=3/8*in_w:3/8*in_h"  -c:v libx264 -preset slow -crf 18 -c:a copy -c:a aac  -pix_fmt yuv420p   out\a_crop_2018_0307_071301_160.MKV

FFmpeg
command

-y -i 2018_0307_071301_160.MP4
delete target file if it exists, input file is called 2018_0307_071301_160.MP4 (from my viofo A119)​

-ss 00:00:00.0 -to 00:00:14.5
take the first 14 and half seconds​

-filter:v "crop=3/8*in_w:3/8*in_h"
Crop 3/8 of the centre screen,​

-c:v libx264 -preset slow -crf 18 -c:a copy -c:a aac -pix_fmt yuv420p
Encode to an Youtube friendly encoding.​
The other two clips before this one, which was zoomed in got the same encoding, not only to allow Youtube to take the video with no problem, but to allow ffmpegs concat option to join all three clips as it requires the encoding to be consistent.​

out\a_crop_2018_0307_071301_160.MKV
Output file is called a_crop_2018_0307_071301_160.MKV in a folder called out (Windows)

The first view made it look like the white car was to blame for slowing too much without reason. But the final view shows he was forced to slow by the car in front, and it was the yellow car that changed lanes too close to react to the slowing down.

At the 50 second mark, you can see the interchange/on ramp sign for another highway. Not a lot of room to make three (you only need to make two) lane changes, but I find drivers going on and off make really bad lane changes with out being at the speed of other traffic or looking. As such, I would leave a lot room to car in front of me than than that white car did.

That zoomed in view was remarkably clear, then. I could have sworn it was a camera further to the left, maybe that section just started at a different moment.
I would leave a lot room to car in front of me than than that white car did.
Yes, more than one person was guilty of that.
There are times when I drive as close as I safely can to the car in front to deter idiots from cutting in. Passing junctions like this is not one of those times (unless I see someone deliberately queue jumping, but that's a different matter.)

Back