Need dash cam that displays and records speed

Chergib

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I work in the oilfield where Going 1 kilometer over the posted 80 km speed limit can get you a warning and after 2 warnings kicked off site. I need a dash cam that records and displays speed and can be rewound onsite to have proof of speed. Any suggestions it also needs to be portable as I don't drive the same vehicle every day

suggest you drive slower ;)

you can get cameras that do this but the speed shown in video is not real time, nor is it deadly accurate, the speedometer in the trucks are not likely to be accurate either

To be interested what reason to limit the speed within 80km, Is the road is very rough?

To be interested what reason to limit the speed within 80km, Is the road is very rough?
We are on a air weapons base and thus the speed limit although most off road oilsites set lower speeds to avoid accident and wildlife encounters. Very strick

suggest you drive slower ;)

you can get cameras that do this but the speed shown in video is not real time, nor is it deadly accurate, the speedometer in the trucks are not likely to be accurate either
Yes driving slower is the point isn't it$. The buses I drive can be anywhere for 5-8 km off thus looking for other options then relying on my by-guess or by-golly and inaccurate speedo

You're better off using a Smart Phone app for this need.
I have started using one but unfortunately if it ever came down to them or me clocking the bus., I would lose and probably my job.

I drive on air weapons range thus the speed but really most oilfield sites enforce a lower speed limit to avoid accident and wildlife encounters

Yes driving slower is the point isn't it$. The buses I drive can be anywhere for 5-8 km off thus looking for other options then relying on my by-guess or by-golly and inaccurate speedo

yes the speedos are off, but the recorded speed might not be so accurate either, so which one do you rely on?

really if they want to only allow a 1 km/h variance then you should be pushing them to have the speedos professionally calibrated, either that or you drive enough under the limit to allow yourself some headroom

No idea if this would suit you, or if it's technically what you need, but some of the DOD cameras (I only had the LS430W onhand) mention 5X GPS speed (not satellite acquiring, but ongoing refresh rate). If I were to guess, the iTronics cameras I had updated the GPS tracking at about 1Hz (once a second). The LS430W seemed to do it several times per second. So it might just be at 5Hz (times per second).

I doubt you'll get a better GPS unit on a dashcam, as of today. Perhaps with military grade equipment you can go up to 10Hz or 15Hz, but certainly not with $200, and not on a dashcam.

Also bare in mind that GPS has a margin of about 7-8 meters. The highest grade civilian GPS systems go up to about 3m. The military can go to millimetres.

Source: Used to own an airsoft shop/store. We carried different military equipment replicas as well as genuine equipment used by military forces around the world. Including GPS units, communication gear and night vision scopes and goggles.

Last edited:
I drive on air weapons range thus the speed but really most oilfield sites enforce a lower speed limit to avoid accident and wildlife encounters

If so, I'd suggest you follow the rule.

Back