Need Rear Window Cam for SUV

pers0n

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone have suggestions? I got my front dashcam years ago, because I had 2 hit-n-run situations where the person speed off, one I tried to speed after but lost them after a big hill (they probably turned into a shopping area), couldnt make out license plate, as it was too far.

I feel having a 2nd one will help me as I move to a big city soon. Again, mostly incase of hit-n-run incase the front cam doesn't catch them, I want them to get this on their record for fleeing as I will report it.

What cam do you have now ?
It might be a better idea to update to one of the new dual channel cameras, not least so you don't have 2 memory cards to handle, you should also see a significant upgrade on image quality and low light performance if you go with a new system.
The little mobius cameras are popular as side and rear cameras, and very discreet if installed with that in mind, but if that don't bother you, you can slab just about anything on the glass back here ( suction cup mounts probably not going to work..
You also have the option to move old camera to rear window and get a new for the front.

Detail at distance ( not even that long distance ) many of us hard core addicts have compensated for by putting a larger lens on a camera and run that beside a regular camera, this mean ( given conditions are good ) a much larger range of plate capture in the front.

Welcome to DCT @pers0n :)

A lot of folks repurpose their old front cam to the rear when they buy a newer better cam since lower performance there is usually acceptable In the last couple years there have been several new cams come to market with performance well beyond what was considered 'good' before and with good prices too.

Phil

I have a B1W mounted on my rear hatch. It’s only 1080P resolution with a low bitrate but it’s image quality will definitely be good enough to capture plates of any car close enough to bump into you. It’s discrete, reliable and has an available parking mode if you hook it up to a battery discharge prevention device.

I have a Spy Tec G1W-C Capacitor Model Dash Cam, it has a mount that hooks up to the rearview mirror. Right now, not sure how I would mount it to my back window. It would definitely be noticable, as it looks like a little digital camera.

I have a Spy Tec G1W-C Capacitor Model Dash Cam, it has a mount that hooks up to the rearview mirror. Right now, not sure how I would mount it to my back window. It would definitely be noticable, as it looks like a little digital camera.
What car do you have, year/make/model?

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

With a G1W you will see a good improvement in image quality if you go with a newer system, though i cant recall what sensor are in the G1W C then i am sure it are not holding up to current good sensors.

TheB1W abarth mention are a okay little camera, not in the higher end of image quality or low light performance, but i would venture to say its a good as a G1W c, and it is about the size and shape of a lipstick.

chevy trailblazer, so the backglass looks like this. its curved so I think the b1w might work, as it seems to attach to the glass, just not sure how long it can stay on it or if it falls off afterawhile.

Pretty vertical so that's nice from a dashcam perspective, and close to my little car which are pretty darn close to 100% vertical.

suzuki-splash-side-1-14339.jpg

I have my rear camera mounted off the steel in the rear hatch on a neodymium magnet, and so the lens over the top heater line in the glass, so none of those in the footage.

chevy trailblazer, so the backglass looks like this. its curved so I think the b1w might work, as it seems to attach to the glass, just not sure how long it can stay on it or if it falls off afterawhile.

As long as you clean your glass sufficiently before mounting, I don’t see why it won’t hold for as long as you have the car. The B1W is very lightweight so it’ll hold even with the multiple, daily slamming of my rear hatch.

The B1W should do well here; a good capacitor-based cam day and night, a great value and quite small. In a similar package but cheaper is the 70Mai; better daytime vids but is battery-equipped and has a few minor issues. Note that both of these are screenless and require a smartphone app to work with the settings, and some phones and apps don't play together well. With the B1W the manufacturer us here on DCT and does make every effort to help folks but with the 70Mai you're pretty much on your own as there's no real factory support for it.

The G1W/C is a bit outdated (AR0330/NT96650). I'm running similar cams for side and rear coverage. I'd seriously consider an upgrade for it and in fact the two cams above will probably outperform it considerably. It was a good enough cam a few years back, but much better cams are made now and for not much more money than a G1W/C costs today.

Phil

Back