New 0803-bee here - with "The Blues"!

danishdude

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
G'day peeps :)

Nice forum - and since i just acquired an 0803 (gps, no internal memory), i started looking for guides to best settings, updates and so on...and stumbled over this cool place :)

Just updated to 20140620, und has 'ne bischen deutsch menun ge-pressed und ge-fiddled..and is now back on the english track. All is fine - BUT...

That blinking blue led when recording is a bright sucker! Especially at night, it just annoys me.
(Cam is mounted to the right of my rearview mirror, hence the cam is fully visible from both driver and passenger-seats.

Is there any way to tone this down? Maybe even disable it totally (not really practical) - or simply have it stay blue, instead of blinking.

I might have missed an earlier thread on this - but i really searched up and down inhere, before loading up my keyboard.

Thanks in advance! ;)

There is no software setting.

Marker pen to turn it down?

Tape to blank it out?

If you open it up then the led is actually a light guide that collects light from two separate leds - blue and red so if you want to disable the blue but keep the red battery charging led then you can just block the light path for the blue one, or maybe cut off part of the light guide so that it only picks up a little blue light, or remove it completely and block the hole which would be a neater solution to taping it up on the outside.

Thanks for the tip, Nigel.
I will take a look at the light-guide.
I have no use for a "charging status", anyway. The battery lasts for around 15 minutes max, when not attached. Enough to fiddle some settings and the like - but thats about it. :p

Enough to fiddle some settings and the like - but thats about it. :p
Your supposed to be able to take some still photos of the accident with it ... much better to use your phone though!

The wonders of black electrical tape.

This stuff is instaLED off magic!

5404145-24.jpg

That's the stuff, although preferably proper matt black ;)

Has to be electrical tape to cope with the heat.

Also ideal for use as a very effective 4 level volume control when placed over the 3 holes of the speaker grill at the front :D (Not the bigger air/cooling vent!)

Doesn't seem to work as a microphone volume control though? :(

5404145-24.jpg
Though i have plenty of Gaffa-tape, i am sure it's gonna look like crap in the end. But thanks for your (humorous) suggestion, Caerus.

I will try Ye Ol' Scratchy furniture-trick first (marker, black).
If no success, im gonna open it up and see what can be done - and at the same time apply a heatsink.
These thingamajigs get's a thermal beating, for sure! :eek:

Though i have plenty of Gaffa-tape, i am sure it's gonna look like crap in the end. But thanks for your (humorous) suggestion, Caerus.
Electrical insulation tape looks far better than Gaffa-tape, in fact it's surface can look better than the plastic case it is covering and it will endure the heat without issue.

Goodbye Chinese brittle LED-guide :D

nr0v1g.jpg

Transparent smoky grey or transparent light dark colour nail polish is the quickest solutions for "dimming" supa-bright dashcam LEDs ;)

A bit late there on that tip, niko - but i will look into it, if i run into the issue again somewhere.
I THINK i have some nail-polish in my CD/TS-flightcase.... :p:D

Back