New Dome Dashcam Dome GS98 Ambarella A7LA70 Chipset

O_O What?

Dashcams these days are getting weirder and weirder :rolleyes:

I tried resetting the camera (already done it 2-3 times due to freezes in the past 6 months) but as I said the problem is only with the subtitle in the mp4 files. I tried any kind of operations which I could think would exclude the dashcam as culprit, but to no avail. I attached a print screen from my PC but this subtitle appears on no other files except those made with the gs98c...

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    529 KB · Views: 15
I tried resetting the camera (already done it 2-3 times due to freezes in the past 6 months) but as I said the problem is only with the subtitle in the mp4 files. I tried any kind of operations which I could think would exclude the dashcam as culprit, but to no avail. I attached a print screen from my PC but this subtitle appears on no other files except those made with the gs98c...
Maybe it's your video player language.
Change it to something else.

No Arabic language installed (default English) and this subtitles are embedded in the files, not loaded from external sources (srt/sub/txt files).

Looks like gibberish so it's probably not a virus or anything done on purpose. (Plus who would put a virus on a dashcam?)

If the player is reading subtitle from the dashcam, you can check the file.
It should be a txt file.
See what language that is in.
I still think it's the player.

Use Potplayer or VLC player and see if the subtitle still is like that.

Today I reset the camera, formatted the SD card, downloaded the newly made mp4 file(s) under Linux (so there should be no virus under this OS).
I used SMPlayer as video player (it has windows/linux versions).
All mp4 files do have subtitles embedded in them, but they are not displayed (under linux).
Rebooted under windows, same files, same size (so there is no sign of tempering) display the nagging subtitles (gibberish, arabic symbols).
-------------------------------------------------------------
In the end it seems the portable version of SMplayer is the culprit! Installed the latest version and the subtitles do not show up anymore!
And I thought I was under attack! Crazy me! :) Still, curios that only the files from the dashcam presented this symptom...

Last edited:
The player interprets the embedded GPS data as a subtitle file, most players have an option to toggle them on or off

Can anyone upload and show me link for 1424 firmware? i aacidentally downgraded to 1110 :(

Hi guys,

I have a weird problem with my new GS98C. When I connect the GPS module, the screen is switching off. If I disconnect the GPS module – the screen is getting back in a normal working condition. What’s wrong with it? I cannot even see the GPS section in the menu. The firmware is: G90-ZX-A770-1424-N7H

Please help!

Regards,

Vincent

Hi guys,

I have a weird problem with my new GS98C. When I connect the GPS module, the screen is switching off. If I disconnect the GPS module – the screen is getting back in a normal working condition. What’s wrong with it? I cannot even see the GPS section in the menu. The firmware is: G90-ZX-A770-1424-N7H

Please help!

Regards,

Vincent
It would seem your firmware version does not support GPS. You also appear to have the firmware for the G90. It works, but it's not the correct version. If you go to my website and look in the download section under Dome, you will find the latest firmware version (latest that I have) for the GS98C. The "S" in the model number means it supports GPS.

Thank you very much!
So, I have to use "GS98C v" from the download section of your site? Don't you have the firmware with km/h? I'm curious why I got the GS98C with the firmware of the GS90? Is this a common practice?

Thank you very much!
So, I have to use "GS98C v" from the download section of your site? Don't you have the firmware with km/h? I'm curious why I got the GS98C with the firmware of the GS90? Is this a common practice?
Not sure why your camera had the G90C firmware, but they both have the same chipset and lens so they are interchangeable. I have installed the GS90C version on the GS98C by mistake before and it ran fine. Your version just doesn't support GPS. The "C" in the model number means it has the A7LA70 chipset. It's similar to why the DAB201, 202 and 205 can all run on the same firmware. They are basically the same camera, just in a different case. Anyway, just use the GS98C firmware and you should be good to go. You will have the option for km/h in the menu.

Thank you Sir!
Two more questions (hope to be the last) :) 1. As far as I understand the GPS support is just a matter of firmware - there is no hardware difference? Because the camera body is labeled with "AV" where the GPS module supposed to be connected (instead of "GPS"). So, by changing the firmware everything should come on the right place? 2. Your recommendation is to use a 32GB of SD card for the upgrade. But the .bin file is bigger, so the only option is to use a 64GB card. Is there any possible issues, because of the size?

Best regards,
Vincent

Bin file is bigger than 32gb?
Not possible.
Maybe you are confusing mb with GB.

Not sure if hardware is different on gps vs non gps models.
G90 did come with different hardware so it maybe same on gs98.

Thank you Sir!
Two more questions (hope to be the last) :) 1. As far as I understand the GPS support is just a matter of firmware - there is no hardware difference? Because the camera body is labeled with "AV" where the GPS module supposed to be connected (instead of "GPS"). So, by changing the firmware everything should come on the right place? 2. Your recommendation is to use a 32GB of SD card for the upgrade. But the .bin file is bigger, so the only option is to use a 64GB card. Is there any possible issues, because of the size?

Best regards,
Vincent
With GS90C and GS98C (G90C and G98C) hardware is the same. They both use the A7LA70 chipset. Not sure why they make a GPS firmware and a non-GPS firmware version. I don't recall the size of the firmware, but like Sunny said, I think your confusing mb and gb. In any case, I have used a 64gb card to upgrade firmware with no problems.

True, it's 33.2 MB, not GB. My fault :)
I've asked the vendor if the the missing GPS support is fixable by a firmware update. Waiting for response now. But perhaps they have some hardware difference and that's because the screen is switching off when I plug the GPS module. It's connected somewhere else inside.

True, Jokiin,
but the socket is just one. for the GPS version it's labeled as "GPS", while for the non-GPS version is labeled as "AV". The only question is if this switch is just a firmware managed, or there is a hardware difference. For GS90, the difference is hardware based.

Back