New msetup and firmware

I started to look at the data rate as the frames per second drops. Because there's less video data that needs to be encoded, you would think that a lower frame rate would result in a lower video data rate, BUT like many things, not so. If I shoot in time lapse mode at 0.25 seconds per frame or 4 FPS 1280x720, at medium data rate, the rate is 6,563 kbits/second. However because the action is sped up 7.5x, it's really 875 kbits/second. If I switch to 5FPS with audio, low data rate, the rate is 5,749 kbits/second not that much different than 30FPS at 5,755 kbits/second.

The lower frame rates are very cool and should allow you to store more video in a given space, but it appears that they forgot to change the compression ratio for the lower frame rates.
I wonder if the video is still actually exported as 30fps, but it's just repeating frames to get you to where you want to be and that's why the filesize is still larger than what you'd expect? Does the metadata show 4/5fps or 30fps?

The QuickTime Movie inspector shows it's 5 FPS and if I advance frame by frame I can see it moves 1 frame ahead.

I've seen other 30P and 24P videos on top of a 60P timeline where it does NOT advance for every frame forward, but takes 2 or 2/3 steps to move to the next frame. This one appears to be a 5FPS video.

Adi - latest FW. Was the COLOUR Balance on AUTO or did yo select one setting. I've been playing and find that the camera WILL occasionally flash like that going from dark to light if Colour Balance is on Auto. As soon as I pick one - seems to be more stable. I it's simply to much to adjust WB and WDR dynamically.

I love the time lapse Video. Will be using it quite a bit.

Yep, the balance was on AUTO.

Yep, the balance was on AUTO.
Try setting it to Bright Sun (I guess that's what you have mostly!) - It's what I'm running with and so far no flickering.

@barbagris: please post an example recording on 2.1 with that setting and no flicker, it sounds like a good solution?

Back