New thread on polarizer filter for BlackVue DR500GW-HD

filter will take about 1 f-stop from your lens rating so will darken the picture, some people just increase the EV value a little and leave them on, bit of trial and error I think to see what works best

It will affect night diving definitely You could rotate it back to neutral I guess and leave it at that Put a mark on the adapter where u can see it from the driver seat and a mark on the filter for day and an different colour mark for night.. Make sense????????

Neutral? Polarised will block 50% of light by physics no matter the orientation.

Neutral? Polarised will block 50% of light by physics no matter the orientation.

True but a normal camera filter is adjustable as to how much polarization it applies and there is a point where the effect is neutral and the polarization is at its least.

Unlike a pair of polarized sunglasses which remain the same regardless of ambient light

Probably better than taking it off all the time.

The dashboard has sometimes got more need for the filter at night. Lights are above you lighting up he dash from outside. Keep it on all the time.

I have just bought some cuttable polarizing filter and plan on making my own filters with very thin magnetic strips so I can adjust the lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a normal camera filter is adjustable as to how much polarization
Adjustable how? The rotation for a polarised camera lens is to get the polarization plane aligned with the what you are trying to achieve. The sun naturally polarizes molecules in the atmosphere, and altering the alignment of the lens alters what reflections from the ambient light will and won't be blocked by the filter. In the car, the laminated windscreen has some natural polarisation itself, so again, rotating will change the behaviour. The lens will block 50% of light no matter the orientation and also react with polarised light to cancel if oriented correctly.
This is my understanding of it anyway.

Adjustable how? The rotation for a polarised camera lens is to get the polarization plane aligned with the what you are trying to achieve. The sun naturally polarizes molecules in the atmosphere, and altering the alignment of the lens alters what reflections from the ambient light will and won't be blocked by the filter. In the car, the laminated windscreen has some natural polarisation itself, so again, rotating will change the behaviour. The lens will block 50% of light no matter the orientation and also react with polarised light to cancel if oriented correctly.
This is my understanding of it anyway.

Probably what I was trying to say in a much less technical manner. SO after all that should we or shouldn't we remove it at night

Leave it on or you will have to adjust it every morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instamorph might be a good alternative to good option if you don't have a 3D printer. You can shape the plastic to your liking. Its a cheaper form of Sugru. There is always the use of a hot glue gun as well. But that is a cheap look.

http://www.instamorph.com
http://sugru.com/

Alright, today was my first day out with the polarizer filter and well..... I don't see a difference at all except the video is a bit darker. I still see a ton of reflection off my windshield. Also, the night video, I'm getting a strange halo effect. I think it might be the chrome surround ring reflecting off the filter. Haven't see anyone mention this at all.

So far, this project seems like a waste.... I guess I'll try rotating the filter and maybe find the sweet spot?

Two things, you need to rotate the filter to find the best spot and really need to look at the picture while doing this. Also needs to be a decent filter

Two things, you need to rotate the filter to find the best spot and really need to look at the picture while doing this. Also needs to be a decent filter
It's the filter posted in the 1st post. The Carry Speed filter.

And what about the halo ring effect at night?

The use of these filters is like a religious debate with a lot of differing opinions, plenty of thoughts posted already so read up on what others have done but I guess whatever you're happy with is what matters, a bit of trial and error

Hi vbx - I said in an earlier post that I would give you some installation pointers, but never quite got to it. In the meantime, you seem to have figured it out for yourself. Good! :) Install info is all throughout the thread - you just have to be patient and read a lot!

******​

Hi clanlessaa - You had questions about whether or not to remove the filter at night, and noted that the filter seemed to make no difference in video quality.

I usually remove the filter at night, since without the filter, night-time video seems a bit brighter and has more detail.

Now, regarding the image quality - the filter has to be oriented correctly to reduce the reflection. Position your car so that there are a lot of reflections in your windshield. Then, hold the filter by itself a short distance in front of your eye and rotate the filter until the reflections (as seen through the filter) disappear. Mark the bottom of the filter in some way. I put on a little yellow sticker. I then place the filter on the dashcam so that the yellow sticker is always at the bottom for maximum reduction in the reflections.

Here is how the dashcam, with the properly oriented filter, looks from the driver's position - note the yellow dot rotated to the bottom:
yellow-dot-1_zpseebff126.jpg

******​

Other forum members have posted still photos of video images without and with the filter. Here are my contributions:

Before (no filter), and note the especially bad reflection of the white sheet of paper on the dash:
noFilter-A_zps241eccc6.jpg

After (with filter), and note that the white paper is still there, but much less annoying, and the rest of the dash reflections are almost completely gone:
Filter-A_zpsff6af91c.jpg

Another before/after pair (guess which is which!):
noFilter-D_zpsaeab07ac.jpg

Filter-D_zpsb24ff78f.jpg

Cheers, y'all...

Hello soholife,

Your adapter looks interesting! :) Your filter looks smaller than the Carry Speed MagFilter. What is the filter diameter? Are there shadows in the corners of your video? (I found that even with the large diameter of the MagFilter, it had to be very close to the BlackVue lens to avoid the shadow.) Is the filter permanently attached to your adapter, or can it be easily removed?

I'm working on another modification to my adapter. The idea is to enlarge the hole for the dashcam lens barrel so that there is no longer a need for a press-fit (and no need for custom sanding), and instead provide clamps to secure the adapter to the dashcam body. I've ordered two prototypes in different materials to test the material flexibility and the appropriate thickness for the clamping part. Progress report in about two weeks...

current design and new design
with-and-without-clamp_zps61dd37c7.jpg

Such an astounding job erewhon. I'm looking to purchase a complete set... I have the filter purchased, now I simply need to purchase your adapter. $20 shipping is steep but looks to be worth it. Plastic or detail resin? Before I buy the adapter, I am wondering if I should hold off because of your new design. Only question I have regarding your new design is your clip will end up covering some ventilation holes. Think that will be a problem?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E DR500GW-HD 18
J DR500GW-HD 1052
Back