New to dashcams

jellyjelly81

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've never owned a dashcam before, I didn't even knew they existed before my sister's fatal car crash last year. I wish I knew of them before than, because all we know about the crash is what the witnesses seen, and the car's blackbox said. (which was only what speed she was going) So since then, I've been looking into things and found dashcams! But there is so much info on them I'm getting overwhelmed and confused! So I hope the people on here can help find the right one for me! Out of the info indeed gathered I know I need one that is capacitor based! Due to the below 0F temps it gets where I live.

I'm looking for one that has:
Capacitor (no batteries)
1080p or better
30fps or better
Supports 32gb card or higher (card doesn't need to be included)
Small (not noticeable)
not hard wired power
Very good or better day recording
Good or better nighttime and audio recording

The following can be an optional add-on, as long as I can add it:
Wifi and/or Bluetooth (Android)
GPS
Duel Cam
UBD2 (compatible with 2011 Dodge Avenger)

If you all can think of something I missed let me know.

Last edited:
Probably a Mobius C would work, it's one of the smaller, more discrete dash cams.
You can change it to a capacitor with an inexpensive add on kit.
(Easy, just swap out the battery with the capacitor, takes 5 minutes)

Probably a Mobius C would work, it's one of the smaller, more discrete dash cams.
You can change it to a capacitor with an inexpensive add on kit.
(Easy, just swap out the battery with the capacitor, takes 5 minutes)
2nd this, and welcome to DCT

Thank you for your replies. I'm searching for it, but I can't seam to find any with
GPS
Duel Cam
UBD2 (compatible with 2011 Dodge Avenger)
Do you have a link to one?

You changed your requirements when you edited your post.

You're wandering into areas now where there aren't many good dual cam dash cams to pick from, and not likely to be one with the features you think you want.

Sorry I forgot to add the ubd2 last night when I posted this. That's the only thing I changed/added. I would like everything I listed, but the bottom part of the list, doesn't need to be built into the cam as long as I can add them to it later. I also forgot G-sensor, looped recording, and overlapped recording. Parked mode and motion are nice but not need, can't hard wire until I pay off my car! I can live without the duel cam if I have to, as long as I get the other requirements! My price range is $0-$200, but can go up to $350 as long as I won't have to replace it in the next 5 years!

Last edited:
OBD2 is also problematic, seem like cars dont quite speak the same languages there, so the number of cars where you can get 100% use out of functions via OBD2 is small.
For instance the Lukas dashcmas that do have OBD2 you will have to look for your car in the compatibility list, but since you drive a not popular in Southern Korea Dodge avenger i doubt you will get full support of all OBD2 features.

There are some dashcams with wifi, mostly meant for aiming the camera during install and then do the settings that one first time too, and the occasional maintenance format of the memory card.
You can allso transfer files from the camera to a phone or tablet, but as i undestand it its a god awfull slow way of transferring files.

I would only need wifi if the cam doesn't come with a screen, so I can show the video to the cops after an accident! I would prefer no screen, so when I drove to a city, I won't have to take it down when parked.

Last edited:
If you havent painted yourself into a corner with a apple product, then often you can just put the sd card in your phone and then play the footage there.

Lukas seem to have all you need, some both screen and wifi, they allso have OBD and GPS. ther only minus in my eyes is a little low bitrate and then the front camera in the dual kits are usioally pretty "big" in size.

I think Jon at pier28 allso carry lukas cameras now.

I'm right now looking at Lukas cams at http://finedashcam.com (This is the legit Lukas USA main website right? The other side I found was for the UK/Netherlands.)
Lukas LK-7950 WD $250
Lukas LK-9750 Duo $350
Lukas LK-9370 WD $299
Lukas LK-9390 AD $310 (both cams record at 1080p/30fps) and
Lukas Qvia R935 R935 $300 (is this one new 2016?)

I just don't know which would be the best for me, and I can't seam to find but rate info. I like how all the Lukas cams come with UV lens filter!
P.S I've called Lukas and unfortunately my Dodge Avenger is not compatible with there OBD2. Most likely it won't be compatible with any dashcam! At least any time soon. :(
P.S.S I don't own any Apple products, so that's not a problem!

Last edited:
Yeah. i do like the concept of all the info you can get via the OBD2 port, and it pains me its not a universal language or you could teach your dashcam to undestand your OBD2 port in the car.

Must be possible to have the dashcam listen to the data on the OBD port and then teach it to identify what is what by for instance pressing the brake, then the cam listen for data and if it find somthing going on the same time you press the brake then that must be the brake signal/data.

Offcourse this would take a little time to teach your dashcam to undestand every feature, but i see no problems in spending 30 minutes teaching the camera what is brake - trottle - indicator - steering - gear and what not.

Maybe https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/lukas-direct-the-new-lukas-store.15729/

Yeah, my Garmin GPS has no trouble knowing what my car is doing through OBD2! Maybe after dashcam become more popular in the US they will work with more US make cars! I'm willing to spend 2hrs training it if I could! lol :)

OBD2 is also problematic, seem like cars dont quite speak the same languages there, so the number of cars where you can get 100% use out of functions via OBD2 is small.
For instance the Lukas dashcmas that do have OBD2 you will have to look for your car in the compatibility list, but since you drive a not popular in Southern Korea Dodge avenger i doubt you will get full support of all OBD2 features.

There are some dashcams with wifi, mostly meant for aiming the camera during install and then do the settings that one first time too, and the occasional maintenance format of the memory card.
You can allso transfer files from the camera to a phone or tablet, but as i undestand it its a god awfull slow way of transferring files.

Depends, the OBD2 list is not really a full list when it comes to models. So I typically say if you have a 2012 or newer of the following manufactures, you are most likely good for OBD2
Hyundai, KIA, GM/ Chevy, Toyota, Lexus, Nissan, Infinity.

All the features all seem to work across the board. The largest downside I have come across so far with OBD2 is not all vehicles OBD2 is always powered. Because of that, parking mode doesn't always work with out doing a hardwire install.
The second downside, which I recently learned about is once using OBD2, the camera only displays in imperial MPH.

Yeah. i do like the concept of all the info you can get via the OBD2 port, and it pains me its not a universal language or you could teach your dashcam to undestand your OBD2 port in the car.

Must be possible to have the dashcam listen to the data on the OBD port and then teach it to identify what is what by for instance pressing the brake, then the cam listen for data and if it find somthing going on the same time you press the brake then that must be the brake signal/data.

Offcourse this would take a little time to teach your dashcam to undestand every feature, but i see no problems in spending 30 minutes teaching the camera what is brake - trottle - indicator - steering - gear and what not.

Maybe https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/lukas-direct-the-new-lukas-store.15729/

Honestly OBD2 input is one of my favourite unique features of Qrontech offerings.
Unfortunately just like you say, the selection of compatible vehicles is limited due to OBD2 standards being unique to each manufacture.

That is a neat idea!
Would be a lot easier to sell if all you needed to do was program your dash cam to the OBD2 data.

Last edited:
Updated List
I'm looking for one that has:
Capacitor (no batteries)
1080p or better
30fps or better
Supports 32gb card or higher (card doesn't need to be included)
Not hard wired power (Can't hard wire until I pay off my car!)
Very good or better day recording
Good or better nighttime and audio recording
G-sensor
Looped recording
Overlapped recording
Small (Preferred, not required)

The following can be an optional add-on, as long as I can add it:
GPS
Duel Cam

Parked mode and motion are nice but not need! (Can't hard wire so I can't use) I can live without the duel cam if I have to, as long as I get the other requirements! My price range is $0-$200, but can go up to $350 as long as I won't have to replace it in the next 5 years!

I like the looks and size of the Blackvue, but I like Lukas's possible future OBD2 availability for my 2011 Dodge Avenger!

Last edited:
I'm currently looking at:
Blackvue
DR650GW-2CH

Lukas
LK-7950 WD
LK-9750 Duo
LK-9370 WD
LK-9390 AD (both cams record at 1080p/30fps) and
Lukas Qvia R935

You say you prefer a small dashcam, yet only the BlackVue could be described as small. The Lukas models are huge by dashcam standards. This is what small means ...

image.jpeg

Back