New Viofo A139 !

I have made a happy discovery- both the front and rear cams support motion detect (y)which Viofo has verified. I've seen some discussion of other 2-channel cams where that only worked with the front cam.

Phil

I am wondering - What is the wire spec of the USB C side of the kit? Eg. AWG and thickness? It seems quite thick for a USB C cable but that might be a trick of the camera.
Doesn't look much thicker than the 12V cables!

The camera doesn't seem very fussy on power anyway, I've run it off several power sources without issue and the remote cameras don't have the same issues that can occur on the A129 when poor power is supplied. Maybe a lot of the power cable thickness is shielding.

Using the new USB C hardwire kit.

Think Viofo should use a straight head instead of an angled head.

Also, anyone got the INT and Rear cable suddenly came off from the A139? My INT cable came off while I was fiddling with the cables but I remembered there was a click when I inserted the cable.
b36e0343884e6005137c669d17f14fe8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

I was thinking that, but it is a general purpose hwk, would be perfect for an A129 style camera, or a B1W style camera that can be mounted either way up!

Also, anyone got the INT and Rear cable suddenly came off from the A139?
Only when I didn't push them in passed the click. They seem fairly robust.

My cables clicked in nicely, but did require a firm push to fully seat them. I've slid the cam off the mount several times to retrieve the SD card and both my cam cables have stayed attached.

The ciggie-plug PS which my cam came with has a straight connector; the HWK has a right-angle connector but being USB-C it can be turned either way which does add versatility.

Phil

The ciggie-plug PS which my cam came with has a straight connector; the HWK has a right-angle connector but being USB-C it can be turned either way which does add versatility.

Phil

Wouldn't the remote camera cables be in the way of plugging it in the other way around though?

Somewhat. I did manage to get it plugged in that way as a test, but there was some interference going on. I don't think it is enough to be worried about but ideally the ports would be slightly more offset to prevent this.

Phil

Somewhat. I did manage to get it plugged in that way as a test, but there was some interference going on. I don't think it is enough to be worried about but ideally the ports would be slightly more offset to prevent this.

Phil
Do you think the interference was because of secondary cameras cables, or because of power adapter or because some car antenna?

enjoy,
Mtz

Thanks Jokiin (y) And yes, with this cam as it currently a straight plug would likely work better (which the supplied PS does have), but there may be future plans for the HWK to be used elsewhere, and that could make a right-angle plug a better choice for Viofo.

Ideally both ways would be offered, but nobody goes to that expense or trouble so I don't see this as a big problem, and I do like the USB-C reversibility which I hope will become a new standard for all dashcams because of that.

Phil

but there may be future plans for the HWK to be used elsewhere, and that could make a right-angle plug a better choice for Viofo.
I'm pretty sure that is the case, since I have another camera where the right angle connector that can be plugged in either way is perfect.
For the A139, it is normally going to be out of sight anyway, and if the cable goes towards the remote camera cables it bunches them all up into one "loom", would be nice without the physical interference though.

I think it was my last Nokia dumbphone, it came with a charger with a barrel plug in the end, and then like 10 different adapters for i recon any Nokia phone on the market at the time.

It looks like a straight connector would be the better option for sockets on the top edge of the unit, similar to the coax cables.

I think it's OK to have an angled connector for testing, and testers can comment on what does or does not work for their car setup. Viofo may choose to adopt a straight connector for the retail HWK at a later date.

The hwk type-c cable I have is with flat ends. I think there will probably be options available in various directions according to need.

No one angle can be best for everyone and with my various cams I've fought with straight connectors more than angled ones, so if only one is offered I think the right-angle design would be my choice.

I have an old Radio Shack wall-wart with adjustable voltage and interchangeable plug ends which proved to be handy. The biggest problem with it was that all the ends were right-angle and the cable prior to the ends had by necessity a two-pin socket with it's own strain-relief area so you ended up with a long connector stack. I just can't see a perfect solution being possible.

Phil

There are 4 bitrate settings on the A139 3CH. Below is the information for H.264 encoding for the 4 bitrate settings.

H.264 Low bit rate
Front cam: 2560x1440 30fps – Overall bit rate: 15.3 Mb/s. 109MB per 1min file.
Rear cam: 1920x1080 30fps – Overall bit rate: 10.3 Mb/s. 73.7MB per 1min file.
Internal cam: 1920x1080 30fps – Overall bit rate: 10.3 Mb/s. 73.7MB per 1min file.

H.264 Normal bit rate
Front cam: 2560x1440 30fps – Overall bit rate: 19.5 Mb/s. 139MB per 1min file.
Rear cam: 1920×1080 30fps – Overall bit rate: 12.8 Mb/s. 91.5MB per 1min file.
Internal cam: 1920×1080 30fps – Overall bit rate: 12.8 Mb/s. 91.5MB per 1min file.

H.264 High bitrate
Front cam: 2560x1440 30fps – Overall bit rate: 23.6 Mb/s. 169MB per 1min file.
Rear cam: 1920×1080 30fps – Overall bit rate: 15.3 Mb/s. 109MB per 1min file.
Internal cam: 1920×1080 30fps – Overall bit rate: 15.3 Mb/s. 109MB per 1min file.

H.264 Maximum bit rate
Front cam: 2560x1440 30fps – Overall bit rate: 27.8 Mb/s. 199MB per 1min file.
Rear cam: 1920×1080 30fps – Overall bit rate: 17.0 Mb/s. 121MB per 1min file.
Internal cam: 1920×1080 30fps – Overall bit rate: 17.0 Mb/s. 121MB per 1min file.

Using the new USB C hardwire kit.

Also, anyone got the INT and Rear cable suddenly came off from the A139? My INT cable came off while I was fiddling with the cables but I remembered there was a click when I inserted the cable.
b36e0343884e6005137c669d17f14fe8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Like the straight plug of 129, plus it can insert into the GPS mount instead of the cam

Any reason why dash cam manufactures don't have an OBD power option? I know it's probably not as popular as hardwiring, but OBD makes an install quite simpler, at least in my case where the fusebox is in the engine bay and everywhere else inside the car is a constant on power source from what I read about hardwiring for a 2019+ Mazda3.

OBD only 2A output, mechanics leave them unplugged, dealership blaming the device for unrelated problems, adapters don't fit well in some cars, just a few reasons to start with

Back