Next base 622gw Micro Sd card

Redshift

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am new to dash cams and this forum. I just bought a Nextbase 622gw cam and realized that Nextbase recommends their expensive micro SS card over others. I had ordered a

SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-I U3 A2 V30 128GB card​

It is a high-end card from what I can tell. It should arrive tomorrow but I can easily return it if I don’t open its packaging. Does anyone know if this card will work with the 622? Thanks!
-Robert

Nextbase expressly advise against Sandisk regardless of speed.

I remember a post here, ages ago, that went into detail about different card manufacturer implementations. Something to do with different VNand and other *nand variants.

I'm intrigued by who actually makes the Nextbsse branded cards because at ~£65 for 128Gb compared to the same size Samsung Evo Plus at ~£15 is a huge markup and the Samsung card is very fast and mine is still going strong, across 4 dashcams, including 2 Nextbase models (not series 2), since Oct 18.

I am new to dash cams and this forum. I just bought a Nextbase 622gw cam and realized that Nextbase recommends their expensive micro SS card over others. I had ordered a

SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-I U3 A2 V30 128GB card​

It is a high-end card from what I can tell. It should arrive tomorrow but I can easily return it if I don’t open its packaging. Does anyone know if this card will work with the 622? Thanks!
-Robert

Hello Robert,

Unfortunately SanDisk SD cards are not suitable for use in a Nextbase Dash Cam as they do not hold a warranty or meet the minimum write speed requirements.

'This warranty does not cover use of the Product in connection with the following uses or devices (as determined by SanDisk): (i) normal wear and tear, (ii) video monitoring, security, and surveillance devices, (iii) internet protocol/network cameras, (iv) in-car recording devices/dashboard cameras/black box cameras'
https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-gb/warranty

The minimum requirements to allow the camera to function are U3 and 48MB/s continuous write speed. The SanDisk Extreme SD card only has 30MB/s write speed, and therefore are not compatible for use. This is shown on their website here:

Please see point 4 of their disclosures, at the bottom of each of the above pages.
'UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) designates a performance option designed to support real-time video recording with UHS-enabled host devices. Video Speed Class 30 (V30), sustained video capture rate of 30MB/s, designates a performance option designed to support real-time video recording with UHS-enabled host devices. See www.sdcard.org/consumers/speed.'

I'd recommend a Dash Cam compatible 8GB -128GB U3 Micro SD card, specifically designed for Dash Cam or CCTV usage. Using a dash cam compatible SD card instead should then allow your Dash Cam to function as designed. The card needs to have a minimum continuous write speed of 48MB/s.

For guaranteed functionality and warranty of the SD card, I'd suggest a Nextbase Micro SD card.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hello Robert,

Unfortunately SanDisk SD cards are not suitable for use in a Nextbase Dash Cam as they do not hold a warranty or meet the minimum write speed requirements.

Please see point 4 of their disclosures, at the bottom of each of the above pages.
'UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) designates a performance option designed to support real-time video recording with UHS-enabled host devices. Video Speed Class 30 (V30), sustained video capture rate of 30MB/s, designates a performance option designed to support real-time video recording with UHS-enabled host devices. See www.sdcard.org/consumers/speed.'

I'd recommend a Dash Cam compatible 8GB -128GB U3 Micro SD card, specifically designed for Dash Cam or CCTV usage. Using a dash cam compatible SD card instead should then allow your Dash Cam to function as designed. The card needs to have a minimum continuous write speed of 48MB/s.

For guaranteed functionality and warranty of the SD card, I'd suggest a Nextbase Micro SD card.

Kind regards,
Millie
Hi

I'm a little confused with why fast cards from other makes are not suitable for NextBase cameras when the requirement is a write speed of 48MB/s.

You refer to point 4 of Sandisk's disclosures - it shows V30 indicating a sustained video capture rate of 30MB/s but they quote Sequential Write Performance of 140MB/s for the 256GB card. I appreciate sustained is different to sequential but is that really the problem when the NextBase cards are also classified as v30?

What is the sustained write speed of NextBase cards?

Would one of the new(ish) endurance cards designed specifically for continuous video monitoring be suitable? eg Samsung Pro Endurance or Sandisk High Endurance.

Hello,

We get a large volume of contact from customers with the above cards that suffer from writing issues. Whether that be freezing, the SD card alarm or missing/corrupted footage etc. Due to the volume of regular complaints, we do not recommend using any card that does performs a continuous write speed of less that 48MB/s. As these cards are made in different batches at different factories, we cannot guarantee that all the cards will function in the same way. We do get customers that say that their third party card has worked perfectly in one dashcam for years, but they've then bought a second card and it fails on first use. Same branding, size, model etc.

Due to this, we now only recommend our own cards as we have designed them to specifically function with long term continuous writing, they've been vigorously tested within our own cameras, and we support the warranty for our cards.
For cards such as the Sandisk Extreme, SanDisk themselves say 'The only card that we recommend for dashcam is the "high endurance" which means the Extreme one is not recommended and using it in dashcam/ security camera/ or any host device that requiere constant read and write operation. Using it in such devices will void the warranty.'. This is from their own Live Chat service on the Western Digital website.

For a Nextbase Dashcam I'd recommend a Dash Cam compatible 8GB -128GB U3 Micro SD card, specifically designed for Dash Cam or CCTV usage. Using a dash cam compatible SD card instead should then allow your Dash Cam to function as designed. The card needs to have a minimum continuous write speed of 48MB/s. For guaranteed functionality and warranty of the SD card itself, I'd suggest a Nextbase Micro SD card.

Kind regards,
Millie

I hate to necro this thread, but I feel the need to point out that Nextbase is selling V30 SD cards, which are only rated at 30MB/s continuous. If the 48/MBs thing is true, then that might explain why there are so many complaints about these units freezing up, even with the Nextbase SD cards.

My thoughts exactly

Run the card through Speedout0.5 on a USB3 port to get a fairly accurate speed rating

My Samsung Evo isn't guaranteed for dashcams, isn't endurance, but it's now over 5 years old, runs at about 80Mbps write speed and it just ....... works

Back