Next Viofo Cam

Yes, the most correct comparison is to use maximum resolution for both cameras (1440p vs 1080p) but must be guaranteed in some way that the video encoding was doing properly by someone who really knows what he is doing. If I am looking on YouTube at such comparison 1440p vs 1080p I am always sceptical if I don't know the skills of the person who was doing the comparison.

enjoy,
Mtz

I will probably buy wr1 and give up my a119 even if wr1 has a lower video quality just to have the other features it offers.

What features in the WR1 appeal to you more than the A119? Is it the WiFi ... so that you can control it from the Drivers seat on your phone?
Is it the size ... or design? Is there something you don't like about the A119?

In my car i have some cameras and sensors in the center of the windshield and i have to put my a119 on the sides. I put it on the passenger side at the top of the windshield and i dont like how its recording from there, not centered. I like wr1's form because i can put it more centered behind rear view mirror near my high beam assist camera and i can rotate it in the correct angle. From that position i dont need a screen and a wifi app is more usefull.

I just ordered one viofo wr1 dashcam as the official seller in my country listed them on stock.

I like the size and the performance, but what I'd like most is to know if it can be configured and used without a smartphone.
I'm not interested in a single channel 'wedge cam' but the 119 series has good performance and value so I'd consider them otherwise.

Phil

It can be used without smartphone. If the default settings are OK for you, you don't need a smartphone to use the camera.

enjoy,
Mtz

I like the size and the performance, but what I'd like most is to know if it can be configured and used without a smartphone.
I'm not interested in a single channel 'wedge cam' but the 119 series has good performance and value so I'd consider them otherwise.

Phil

These days you can buy a dirt cheap Android tablet with WiFi that can be used to operate the camera and do a whole lot more than that! It could make for a worthwhile companion investment to go with the camera.

It can be used without smartphone. If the default settings are OK for you, you don't need a smartphone to use the camera.

enjoy,
Mtz
Can it interface with a PC to check or change settings (wireless or wired, either will work for me)?
Many default settings seem to work OK on my various cams but not all of them are what I want ;)

Phil

These days you can buy a dirt cheap Android tablet with WiFi that can be used to operate the camera and do a whole lot more than that! It could make for a worthwhile companion investment to go with the camera.

Investment? Heck. it's all I can do to buy the cams I want and have :p

Phil

Can it interface with a PC to check or change settings (wireless or wired, either will work for me)?
Many default settings seem to work OK on my various cams but not all of them are what I want ;)

Phil

Dunno, you'd need to check things out more thoroughly about PC connectivity but as an example I'm talking about products like: "Azpen A746 7" Quad Core 8GB Android Tablet with Office Suite" - $34.99 & free shipping from Amazon!

• A very nice 7” entry-level tablet with a fast 1.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor CPU and a GPU that supports game play, streaming movies and applications seamlessly. Perfect for browsing web, reading emails, playing games, & more.
  • Enjoy Netflix, Facebook, Skype, 250000 eBook store, Gamestore (20 free games), OfficeSuite Trial version (Word and Excel), Music and Google Play Store over 1 million apps.
  • 8GB of storage and a card slot that supports an SD Card up to 32GB (card not included). Lithium battery that allows Up to 5 hours of continued game play, movies, web surfing or music listening. Stay connected through the web browser, email and calendar support.
  • Android 4.4 KitKat OS comes with useful features like a Front Facing Camera to use as a webcam or make Skype calls, speech and sound recording and more. The battery can be charged through the DC port or Micro USB port.
  • Premium grade Battery is WERCS Environment Protection certified. FCC and CE certified. US Local customer support by email or Toll Free #, we will take care of your issue immediately.

dirt cheap tablet, you'd want to check if the app would run on Android 4.4 though, that's very old

Good point. That was just an example. There's a ton of cheap tablets like this on the market that could be used with a WR1.

Well I don't drink anymore so there's no beer money in my budget which I can tap into :p I would prefer to use the fairly decent laptop I've got already as I have no other use for a tablet at this time. And a couple tools I use heavily began acting badly today so Ill see what happens. If I have to replace those I'm scrude deeply (over $600 for both if I can't fix them and I gotta get at least one back in action)

Thanks for the advice anyway :D
Phil

Well I don't drink anymore so there's no beer money in my budget which I can tap into :p I would prefer to use the fairly decent laptop I've got already as I have no other use for a tablet at this time. And a couple tools I use heavily began acting badly today so Ill see what happens. If I have to replace those I'm scrude deeply (over $600 for both if I can't fix them and I gotta get at least one back in action)

Thanks for the advice anyway :D
Phil

Well, I know what it's like to have expensive tools crap out. You have my sympathies. Anyway, it was just a suggestion. Maybe knock off a convenience store? :D
Anyway, I'd have more to say on the subject but we're just about to get hit with severe thunderstorms which means going offline, unplug and batten down the hatches ASAP up here on the mountain. :eek:

Last edited:
It clearly states that both videos recorded at full hd 30 fps.

2 assumptions here:

1. Full HD generally means anything between 1080P and 4k these days eg 1440P. You can't just assume these days that full HD = 1080P.

2. Having the highest resolution doesn't necessarily equal the best quality. It's like boasting you've got the biggest gun. Biggest doesn't equal most accurate and with cameras high resolution doesn't necessary equal best quality picture. I'd put a ribcaged GoPro up against any 4K car camera on the market and be very confident the number plate would be better resolved and more readable, because there's more to quality than having the highest number of pixels on the sensor and one of the biggest limitations is how well the lens can resolve the picture as the sensor can only record what it fed to it. If the lens doesn't have the sharpness or resolve the detail, the sensor can't capture it.

The best camera comes from having the best mix of ingredients.

2 assumptions here:

1. Full HD generally means anything between 1080P and 4k these days eg 1440P. You can't just assume these days that full HD = 1080P.

2. Having the highest resolution doesn't necessarily equal the best quality. .

1. not where I come from, Full HD means 1080p only

2. agree

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W WR1 48
W WR1 0
Yooshaw WR1 3
J WR1 4
J WR1 5
Back