Next Viofo Cam

And here is the same video but compared to A119, both videos recorded at Full HD 30fps. I think the IMX322 is not produced anymore so Viofo is using now the Sony IMX323
Mtz

Wow. WR-1 looks... awful. So awful this is my first post on DCT because I was researching the A119s to buy until I saw this thread and really wanted the wifi ability over a screen. Seeing this vid... no way I'd purchase WR-1. Shadows (even given the 119 is put in a spot with more reflections), details on the tree, license plate reading... If I saw just the wr1 vid, I would think I'd need to get my eyes checked it's so much more blurry/loss of any details. How disappointing.

Wow. WR-1 looks... awful. So awful this is my first post on DCT because I was researching the A119s to buy until I saw this thread and really wanted the wifi ability over a screen. Seeing this vid... no way I'd purchase WR-1. Shadows (even given the 119 is put in a spot with more reflections), details on the tree, license plate reading... If I saw just the wr1 vid, I would think I'd need to get my eyes checked it's so much more blurry/loss of any details. How disappointing.

You do need to get your eyes checked.. the video looks fine.

you think it's the same as the 119? right... I understand the point about video being 'good enough' in most applications, but it is a night and day difference in the split screen. Sorry if you can't see it.

you think it's the same as the 119? right... I understand the point about video being 'good enough' in most applications, but it is a night and day difference in the split screen. Sorry if you can't see it.

Different hardware altogether, obviously there's a difference. A119 is superior hardware and its firmware has received multiple updates. But when you say "it's so much more blurry/loss of any details", that I don't agree with.

34623647143_d2ebe7163b_k.jpg

34623646223_e816b2788b_k.jpg

35266980292_d1b9fbbf63_k.jpg

Last edited:
The IMX323 is widely used, so there is no much work to do on this sensor, and we chose a good lens on this model.
We will release a separate GPS module for WR1 in near future.

Reactions: Mtz
In Romania we had a spy photo with the new wr1 in february, without any info about the sensor. I hoped till the last day it will have a good image sensor, at least a119 quality. I liked the wifi feature, no screen body, shape of the camera and the small mount but now i'm dissapointed. I wanted to upgrade from a119 but now i have to downgrade if i want the features wr1 has over a119. Dissapointing. Now i have to wait another camera in this form with wifi but at least a119/ opia 2 image quality.

Yeah .. it's funny (odd) that from what I've noticed, the older A119 1440p is more popular than the newer A119S with 1080p ... yet VIOFO have chosen the less popular and older tech 1080p for their new model

Perhaps the VIOFO Rep could explain why this has happened .. and why the new WR1 won't have the option of a 1440p setting?

It appears to me .. that VIOFO are going backwards and not forward with this decision for 1080p.
Having said that .. I am only interested as a rear Cam .. so 1080p is fine .. only we should be striving for better.. especially when 'better' is already available to use.

Last edited:
Don't get hung up on numbers or which components are used, it's the end result that matters most, good 1080p is better than 1440p any day, bigger numbers mean nothing in the scheme of things

So .. if you were a TV Salesman .. you'd be telling folks .. forget about UHD and 4K TVs, it's all a gimmick to get your money ... here .. these 1080p are the Go .. and they're a third of the price .. yeah?

not at all, we use 1080p rather than higher resolutions but it has nothing to do with price and everything to do with results

And here is the same video but compared to A119, both videos recorded at Full HD 30fps. I think the IMX322 is not produced anymore so Viofo is using now the Sony IMX323

And here is the connection to PC with car parked in front of the house at about 10 meters distance:
View attachment 31635

enjoy,
Mtz
Both videos look horrible, but a119 is only at 1080 in this sample and still has better image than wr1. I am curious in a side by side with a119 at 1440.
Maybe viofo will make a wr2 with a119 internals.(y) That would be my kind of dashcam, even with a higher price tag.

The single wr1 video also looks awful. The image of a very budget camera. I have a119 and im verry happy with the image it produces..but i would like wr1 form and features.

pre release version, I still wouldn't read too much into it if you're looking at YouTube video though

I have never been a fan of 1080p .. and prefer the picture Quality of my 2003 Panasonic 100Hz widescreen Crt.
My Sister has one of the last Pioneer Kuro 1080p HD Plasmas .. considered State of the Art and the benchmark for a number of years after Pioneer decided to cease manufacturing them back around 2009 (?)

I don't like it .. because it hurts my eyes and Picture Quality is not 'natural' enough for my eyes. It lacks detail and clarity .. and the colours are over saturated. The test for me is skin tones of the face and Forest greens. Reds should not jump out.

So .. I'm after something better than 1080p .. I guess that includes all the other components that goes with it .. ie, the sum of all the parts needs to be better.. and it will come.

Last edited:
Production version with additional IQ firmware tuning should be better. New product.

In Romania we had a spy photo with the new wr1 in february, without any info about the sensor. I hoped till the last day it will have a good image sensor, at least a119 quality. I liked the wifi feature, no screen body, shape of the camera and the small mount but now i'm dissapointed. I wanted to upgrade from a119 but now i have to downgrade if i want the features wr1 has over a119. Dissapointing. Now i have to wait another camera in this form with wifi but at least a119/ opia 2 image quality.
Look at a night time image and I would expect the WR1 to have the better image. We need to see raw video or video frame grabs in a number of lighting and weather situations and at different vehicle speeds before we can really judge it. The sensor is a decent one, basically the popular IMX 322 in a newer package, yes it is only 1080 resolution but as a result has superior low light performance over the A119 sensor. We should also take the price into account, you can't expect the very best quality lens on a budget camera but I'm sure it will still be decent. The A119s does have a superior low light sensor, the WR-1 should not beat that in any conditions!

The A119s does have a superior low light sensor, the WR-1 should not beat that in any conditions!

the A119S will outdo it, but it won't be far behind, it's still a very capable sensor, everyone always wants the latest and greatest, the latest and greatest sometimes takes a bit of time to mature though

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W WR1 48
W WR1 0
Yooshaw WR1 3
J WR1 4
J WR1 5
Back