Nextbase 622GW Query

Bluenose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 622GW
I have recently had a Nextbase 622GW fitted to my car and seem to have hit a bit of a problem. I have had the front and rear cameras hardwired by Nextbase.

It was fitted 1 week ago and so today I decided to remove the SD Card and have a look at the recordings to see what I was getting. I have used the car pretty well every day since the camera was fitted and was very surprised to find that the only recordings that are on the card are taken when the car was parked up. It hasn't recorded any video of whilst the car was in motion, absolutely nothing at all.

According to the user manual, the unit will start recording as soon as the ignition is switched on and the car is driven. Can anyone confirm if this is actually the case or, should I be pressing a button somewhere to start the recording manually?

My previous car had a Panorama X2 fitted and this always started to record immediately the car was started up.

Apologies if this is a stupid question but as an 81 year old non techie wrinkley I usually need some help initially.

Thank you in advance of any help/guidance offered.

Hi Bluenose.

I have exactly the same setup as yours and I can confirm it should indeed fire up as soon as you turn the ignition on. I can only guess that the unit is either setup wrong (if that's even possible ?) or it's faulty as with it recording video whilst the car is at a standstill, it must be getting power from somewhere because the battery only lasts 5 mins if you're lucky.

Have you got the manual to hand to see if there's a setting where the camera will turn on but requires a manual intervention by yourself to actually begin the recording process ?

The only other thing I could possibly think of is that it's been wired up to a power supply that's only live when the car isn't running, which again, I don't think even exists.

Hopefully someone from Nextbase will be along soon to give you some things to check.

Sounds like it's wired to the wrong power source.

Modern cars have introduced some problems when wiring in accessories. Some CANBUS systems and ECU know exactly what the power draw should be on each fuse and if that is exceeded, by piggybacking, then it can be temporarily shut down.
Then you have stop start that also can render some circuits temporarily dead till the starter motor has stopped.

It's a nightmare for some.

Thanks for your input chaps.
I spoke to Nextbase this morning and they have suggested I turn off Image stabilisation as that may be causing the problem. I will give that a go and see what happens. I didn't have any of these problems with my old Panorama X2.

Do any of you have any problems getting the setup icon (the little gear-like image) to appear on-screen? I would have thought that a simple tap on the screen should do it but I have real problems with this.

I have recently had a Nextbase 622GW fitted to my car and seem to have hit a bit of a problem. I have had the front and rear cameras hardwired by Nextbase.

It was fitted 1 week ago and so today I decided to remove the SD Card and have a look at the recordings to see what I was getting. I have used the car pretty well every day since the camera was fitted and was very surprised to find that the only recordings that are on the card are taken when the car was parked up. It hasn't recorded any video of whilst the car was in motion, absolutely nothing at all.

According to the user manual, the unit will start recording as soon as the ignition is switched on and the car is driven. Can anyone confirm if this is actually the case or, should I be pressing a button somewhere to start the recording manually?

My previous car had a Panorama X2 fitted and this always started to record immediately the car was started up.

Apologies if this is a stupid question but as an 81 year old non techie wrinkley I usually need some help initially.

Thank you in advance of any help/guidance offered.
Hi!

It sounds like something certainly isn't correct here, as the Dashcam should be recording as soon as it's turned on. When checking the footage, did you look inside the Video folder, as well as the Protected Folder? The Protected Folder will only show the protected footage, such as parking mode.

You can connect your Dash Cam to your computer using the provided USB cable.

1) Plug your Dash Cam in. Ensure the cable is plugged directly into the dash cam and NOT via the mount.
2) On the dash cam's screen you'll see a menu of 3 options. Please select 'Access Files' on the Dash Cam's screen.
3) If the dash cam does not appear as a drive on your computer, please try all the USB ports on your computer. Double check that the cable is via the camera and not via the mount. If it still does not show, please remove the cable from the computer, press the reset button on the underside of the camera and plug the USB cable back into the camera.
4) Then the Dash Cam will be visible as a removable drive on your computer. If you go into My Computer (Windows) or Finder (Mac) you will be able to see the Dash Cam listed as a drive, usually called NEXTBASE.
5) Double click on this drive. You should then see nextbase.com, nextbase.info and DCIM.
6) Double click on 'DCIM'. Inside this you'll see a selection of folders. Inside these folders are your photos and footage. Can you now see the normal video footage?

If not, please call our Support Team directly on 02920 866 429 (UK) and we can go through all the troubleshooting with you in one go.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Thanks for your input chaps.
I spoke to Nextbase this morning and they have suggested I turn off Image stabilisation as that may be causing the problem. I will give that a go and see what happens. I didn't have any of these problems with my old Panorama X2.

Do any of you have any problems getting the setup icon (the little gear-like image) to appear on-screen? I would have thought that a simple tap on the screen should do it but I have real problems with this.
To access the Settings Icon the camera needs to have stopped recording first. To do this, press the red flashing circle button in the bottom left hand corner of the screen. Once the recording has stopped, you should then be able to tap the settings icon in the top left of the screen.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

My earlier post mentioned that I had been in touch with NextBase and that they had suggested turning off the image stabilisation to see if this would correct things. Well, I am happy to report that everything is now working fine but, the image stabilisation option has been included for a reason but, if the camera doesn't work properly when it is switched on, what is the point. Has anyone else had this problem and are NextBase doing some sort of software update so that the image stabilisation option can be used without it causing other problems.

On another point, I have read somewhere within this forum that the polarising filter can be removed from the 622GW by simply unscrewing it. I have tried this but mine just keeps on turning and doesn't really look as though it is undoing. I have even tried to gently pull it off after turning it for a while but still no joy. Anyone have thoughts on this please?

I reckon you may well be doing the same thing I did forra while until I realised - lol. You're prolly just rotating the actual filter itself as it doesn't appear to have a stop point as such. You have to get hold of the correct part of the filter bezel to make sure you start to unscrew it from the dashcam itself. It does come off as Nextbase say by simply unscrewing, it's just a bit awkward to get hold if it properly.

I reckon you may well be doing the same thing I did forra while until I realised - lol. You're prolly just rotating the actual filter itself as it doesn't appear to have a stop point as such. You have to get hold of the correct part of the filter bezel to make sure you start to unscrew it from the dashcam itself. It does come off as Nextbase say by simply unscrewing, it's just a bit awkward to get hold if it properly.
I have tried everything, even gripping it with non-slip material but I just cannot remove it. Seems ridiculously difficult really.

Try a latex glove

Try a latex glove
Yep, I've even tried that.

EDIT: My son just called in and he has managed to get it off for me. I obviously don't have the grip that I had when I was much younger. Thanks for the help though.

Merry Christmas to all.

Last edited:
Back