Not happy with the Joovuu X

dino

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Been driving around with my recently purchased JX for some time now, unfortunately I'm not happy with how it works. The recorded video is nowhere near the quality of what you've seen posted here as examples, it's blurry, seems to be a bit out of focus. Honestly, a big disappointment. And yes I have poked around and tried different settings but that doesn't seem to make anything much better. Currently I'm in the 1920x1080P 60FPS mode. Oh, the settings! It can drive me nuts!! After connecting using the app (that is an adventure in itself. Why can I not usb-connect to my computer as alternative?) I fix and tweak and the app responds with a happy "settings updated"-msg... but when I connect with the JX next time I'm forced to realize often the settings have not changed at all, they're all the same as last time. Arrrgh! The motion detection works horribly bad, while driving it can suddenly ignore the obvious motion going on (I'm not a THAT slow driver!) and stop recording and flip into standby-mode for a quite some time, just as it can film a concrete wall for hrs (yeah, much excitements happens on that one!) when the car is parked and nothing whatsoever goes on, not even any light play or shadows. All clips are 1 minute long no matter if I drive or not which is the motion detection time out setting... despite having the basic clip length set for 3 minutes. Seamless clips? Nope, there's a second or two missing at every clip. Could have shown you a pretty weird accident that occurred in front of me today... if it had been caught on film as whole I have to add. The 1 minute clip ended just as I came up to the scene and the next clip starts as I'm well passed it. Oh, joy! Happy with the JX? Nah, can't say.

Maybe my JX is faulty or maybe it needs a firmware update but I honestly expect a not-cheap high-spec camera to work properly at delivery and need no initial update to be of use. Sorry. I'm done with this one. The JX is out of my car and the mobius is back in.

Before I start contact @Joovuu to have the camera replaced or preferably refunded I'm curious if anyone else recognize any of these issues?

Thx!

Dear @dino
Firstly thank you for your feedback and extensive rant.

It sounds like you have a faulty camera - and I apologise for that, if you send me a message on here or my email, we'll get a new one sent...and to show everything working I'll create videos of everything. You can review the videos and if you are happy we'll send it :)

I do apologise for this.

Cheers,

Thank you for your reply. PM sent.

I had some problems with my X as well, not video quality but more related to iOS, Dan was very proactive in trying to sort them out. When I said I was not happy with how things were going he promptly refunded the full price, no questions asked. After they received the camera it did in fact turn out that the camera was faulty.

I'm pretty sure that if you would have contacted him directly or thru the X forum he would have sorted this out before you got to the point of making this post.

I had some problems with my X as well, not video quality but more related to iOS, Dan was very proactive in trying to sort them out. When I said I was not happy with how things were going he promptly refunded the full price, no questions asked. After they received the camera it did in fact turn out that the camera was faulty.

I'm pretty sure that if you would have contacted him directly or thru the X forum he would have sorted this out before you got to the point of making this post.

I am looking at this cam. How has your experience been at this point/now?

We've just released a major update that should bring further stability :)

After installing the 9th FW the JX became hopelessly inoperable. At least in practice. Despite using the power-on option JX only starts when it feels like it and there are lots of random shutdowns. After a week in my car only about 1/3 of my driving had been recorded. Whatever it captures is in excellent quality and crystal clear but unfortunately I can't trust the JX to be a part of a set-and-forget installation and as such it is currently out of my car and replaced with a mobius.

The software is letting the camera down, that's my conclusion. I'm about to install the 30th April FW now, hopefully things will improve.

After installing the 9th FW the JX became hopelessly inoperable. At least in practice. Despite using the power-on option JX only starts when it feels like it and there are lots of random shutdowns. After a week in my car only about 1/3 of my driving had been recorded. Whatever it captures is in excellent quality and crystal clear but unfortunately I can't trust the JX to be a part of a set-and-forget installation and as such it is currently out of my car and replaced with a mobius.

The software is letting the camera down, that's my conclusion. I'm about to install the 30th April FW now, hopefully things will improve.

Things should...we had two cameras returned for this and this solved the problem. If you can also remember to format the microSD card every so often and after the upgrade press the 'reset' button then you should be good to go :)

FW update went bad. It's probably bricked now. yay.

You should be able to fix that with the Direct USB software and the .elf file

@boilers
I don't understand you last "like"
Do you like that the dino maybe "brick" his cam or how should it be understand.

I think he might like the bad mood the post of dino seem to signal.

@boilers
I don't understand you last "like"
Do you like that the dino maybe "brick" his cam or how should it be understand.
I just clicked LIKE.
I like to know both good and bad information on my potential cash outlays. I had an 80% morbidity rate cancer. I liked knowing I had 80% chance of dying. It helps me plan.

I also need to air out now and then. I think Dan know that.

I didn't brick my cam, but I also got some problem, but after a reload of firmware, it was stabil.
I update to a beta firmware, like a charm, other got problem with that. I got better video than I expected in night shoot.
One of my problem in this test, did happen when unplugged my SD card from computer unsafely, Cam didn't record, but after a reformat it worked perfect. I did worked this out by me self.
In the day video, it was just a little to blurry to read the license plate. There walk though how to adjust focus, but the glue was to strong for me.
There told me immediately, there will replace the camera.

@dino Take a look on the video or reach out to joovuu. Skype him.
Just do as Andy say.
Not satisfied? Keep emailing me until you are :)

@boilers
I think the firmware and app is getting better. I like the the fact, you can't see my cam from outside off the car, unless you looking straight through the window.
If you update firmware on electronic equipment, there is always a risk that you gonna brick a unit. So chose someone that will guaranty to help out, when you buy the dash cam.

My first camera had major problems, turned out to be the chip. I wrote a thread about it, "bad micro chip"

After a constructive and effective support chat with Dan from JooVuu he managed to replicate my problem... hopefully without having to kill a camera. Anyway, long story short, a replacement camera is on its way to my location. It couldn't have been handled better. Thumbs up! :)

Back