Not the cleverest of kids but why I have dashcams (bad language)

At the end of the day, that is one of the best sign posted junctions around a bend you will ever come across on a uk country lane ...

They don't put warnings up for herds of cows, tractors, bailers, horses, cyclists or idiots taking corners on the wrong side of the road , all of which should be expected around blind bends on country lanes and.....

If you are make rapid progress just within the speed limit, when not accelerating you should have your foot ready to brake and I ve never come around a corner and not had time to bring the car to a safe stop if need be....

That could have ended up like Back to the Furure! I hate manure :)
At least the tractor would have been moving in a forward direction!

Why you should take note of those "Slow" signs and keep your brakes in good working condition:

That is bonkers - I do like how you've clipped your speed out of the video though mate :)

That is a horrendous manoeuvre they just pulled there though and it's scary they think that's acceptable. I don't know that area but I guess there was somewhere they could have turned their car around within a mile tops?

As for those corners it's always a difficult one - I actually did go back to this area and whereas on that corner it's a 50mph and just says slow, a mile down the road there's one which actually says slow but also carries a maximum speed you should be doing (in that case a 30). I like that idea as at least you have a better idea what to expect.

Last edited:
That is bonkers - I do like how you've clipped your speed out of the video though mate :)
Are you suggesting that I wasn't within the speed limit? Even though I stopped within 2.8 seconds on a reasonably sharp corner, and that includes the reaction time...

Since the 0806 currently reports zero speed at all times I don't actually know how fast I was going!

That is a horrendous manoeuvre they just pulled there though and it's scary they think that's acceptable. I don't know that area but I guess there was somewhere they could have turned their car around within a mile tops?
It is some distance before a safe turning point, and then you have the problem that coming the other way you can't see if it is safe to make the turn until it is too late!

However I suspect they had tried to turn in and not made it around the corner so had no choice but to reverse back into the traffic. Doesn't explain how they came to be blocking both directions but some people are appalling at reversing! I did consider driving up behind them and blocking their unsafe reverse but decided it was safer to stop where traffic coming down the straight would be able to see me in plenty of time to slow down rather than where an accident with a car coming around the corner from the other direction would also damage my car!

I love the way Youtube put loads of adverts for driving schools up at the end of that video :D

Those corners that have speed warnings only tell you the maximum safe speed for a heavily laden HGV in good weather conditions, they never tell you the safe speed for your vehicle in the current weather and traffic conditions. They are normally only found on corners with an unusual camber or which tightens unexpectedly where an HGV driver may misjudge the safe speed for their vehicle and load.

Its good that its been recently publicised how dangerous country back roads are and a side from incidents you ll always encounter like this and should expect on them....

what I don't get is when following some idiot insistent on driving them at 30mph - when you finally find a safe bit of straight road to overtake they work their way into the centre of the road and if you do manage to pass as you are doing it they speed up !!!

The speed limit is 60mph - some of like to use it safely.

Yeah I never have got that about speeding up - I sit at cruise on the motorways wherever possible and there's no end of folks who will speed up to match as you overtake them - it's as though they get offended you even thought about passing them. Near my folks place that's all windy roads and there are really only two safe places to overtake in about a five mile stretch - no end of cars will do 30mph (in the 60) but as soon as you go to overtake they put their foot down then after you pull in after overtaking they'll slow down again.

Likewise the ones who slow down going up hills and then accelerate like mad the other side so you're constantly overtaking them. That does my head in on the motorways as it's like you're playing a game of leap frog at times.

I just checked my mini 0803 gps log:

40.0, 40.0, 40.0, 39.1, 36.2, 37.5, 29.6, 3.4, 0.1

- Apparently I took note of the "Slow" sign and slowed down by 3mph :)

And then lost the other 37mph (60Km/h) in 2 seconds on a corner :eek:

... I wonder how accurate that is?

That pull-out was tough but comes down to random timing chances and of course, you happened to be coming at the very moment he went for it. Good thing that you were driving responsibly. As for the brake check, that was idiotic and the stupid mo********er should be ticketed and fined. I cannot believe that people are stupid enough to do that.
Oh well, enjoy some brake check inspired instant karma:
or
or

Back