Not the cleverest of kids but why I have dashcams (bad language)

Re: GPS speed indication. I would go by the speed displayed in the video. RV doesn't show it correctly on it's "speedo". Most of mine fluctuate by +/-10kph or more.

The pulling out I'd have to let pass through to the keeper. I'm sure he had checked that it was clear and was watching the other car and pulled out as soon as he could confirm it was turning off. Good reason to indicate your intentions with plenty of notice because it affects the decisions of others.
You knew this intersection and the limited visibility from it. You need to expect this approaching it. Honking a horn like that in small towns is akin to being cursed at. Doesn't always go down well.

But the brake checking is not on.

You knew this intersection and the limited visibility from it. You need to expect this approaching it. Honking a horn like that in small towns is akin to being cursed at. Doesn't always go down well.

But the brake checking is not on.
No mate I've not driven that road before and at the time I was more interested in looking at the oncoming cars to make sure there was enough space for us to all pass. I won't be using this road again either as it's a pain in the arse!

The horn was to warn him of danger as I was really struggling to stop in time - if someone takes offence to that after pulling out without looking properly then what can you do!

Dropping the F bomb there
I think the C, F, W, P and many other letter of the alphabet bombs were in there too! Heat of the moment stuff really and just like you hear in all PG-13 films these days :/

TBH, the amount of time you were visible to him before he started moving is all in his reaction time. At the moment he set off you were not visible.

I agree with your statement that the speed limit on this corner is too high. That definitely needs to be a 30mph, or lower.

Flip it around. You are in the Astra(?), you look left and there's nobody there - you set off and suddenly there's a car honking on your back bumper.

I don't blame him for pulling out. The brake check is a bit cheeky, though.

A bit cheeky is an understatement. He should be banned for that!

In that situation I drop the windows so I can hear if a car is coming but it still makes me nervous, especially in the advent of electric cars. I'd also be looking at the lane as I pull out though.

You've got me wondering how many incidents happen there - at least one from the sign!

Definitely easier to stay away and not become a statistic for sure though.

The horn was to warn him of danger as I was really struggling to stop in time - if someone takes offence to that after pulling out without looking properly then what can you do!
That is one thing I can't tell from the video, to me you appeared to drive up to him and then brake unnecessarily late rather than slow down to give him time thus the horn appears unnecessary. As I said in my first post, I was probably interpreting the video wrong, as it seems most other people probably are and probably the Police too!

However, since you were warned of the junction by the "Reduce Speed Now" sign, you should have been prepared to stop if necessary - there could have been a tractor with a muck spreader making the turn!

That could have ended up like Back to the Furure! I hate manure :)

A bit cheeky is an understatement. He should be banned for that!

In that situation I drop the windows so I can hear if a car is coming but it still makes me nervous, especially in the advent of electric cars

in the past, i used every bit of the speed limit on country lanes and found the only safe way to exit a junction like that was to use your vision and when clear gun the car and stay on the wrong side of the road in the direction you can see is clear and you are traveling in and move over when up to speed.
This always gave speeders coming from your blindish direction some road !

We're talking a couple of seconds total from seeing him to not hitting him.

It goes by much quicker when you're not watching on YouTube on a wide angle lens for sure.

Is it easier to stop in a lightweight Astra when you've just started rolling or a two tonne car doing 40mph?

it's easy to say things about a clip on the Internet but in real life I assumed he'd stop and by the time I'd realized he was going regardless of me being there and wasn't going to stop (whether he'd seen me or not), checking my rear view mirror to make sure no one was behind me and that I could hammer the brakes, move my foot onto the brake pedal and mashed it to stop a two tonne car hitting him and then holding the horn as a warning that's all that time gone and I fitted everything into that few seconds so in all I did what I could successfully.

It's not just a case of mashing the brake pedal as I could have caused a different accident that way and he'd have driven off oblivious.

At which point he decided to try and make me hit him again. There's really no explaining the logic behind it but the speed limit needs dropping for sure there anyway.

You've got some interesting roads near you Pete, I've seen some things that way before I had dashcams! There's usually always something happening on Snakes Pass or Woodhead!

yep, great roads, but very dangerous in the hands of average drivers ....

Rev, I don't want to appear to be judge and jury here, but looking at the speed indicator in the video does tend to show that as you approached the SLOW sign on the road, your speed does actually increase.
As others have said, in a situation like that with such signs, on a road that you say you've never driven before, I would have expected to see you slowing down.
I've mentioned in other threads before that when people show videos of the suggested moronic behaviour of other road users, then you have to be aware that all who view it, will be all to ready to criticise your own driving as well.

I still agree, he was a complete arse to do the braking stunt!

I think the C, F, W, P and many other letter of the alphabet bombs were in there too! Heat of the moment stuff really and just like you hear in all PG-13 films these days :/

Funny... I watched Mad Max the other day (well, some of it.. it was bad) and even though it's rated R, I bet today it'd either be PG or maybe PG13, but definitely not R. it's pretty tame by today's standards.

It goes by much quicker when you're not watching on YouTube on a wide angle lens for sure.
~snip~
it's easy to say things about a clip on the Internet...

Gee, sounds just like when I posted my accident clip a little over a week ago. How was I supposed to know that the driver in my left side blind spot, who was in a left-turn-only lane, would attempt to go straight and then crash into me when I also made a legal left turn? You expected that guy to stop at his stop sign and yield to oncoming traffic.

Obviously his brake-check while turning around and giving you the salute was just full-on ass-hattery, and he deserves to be docked for that.

No mate I've not driven that road before and at the time I was more interested in looking at the oncoming cars to make sure there was enough space for us to all pass. I won't be using this road again either as it's a pain in the arse!

My bad then.
Just by the way you were cruising along I assumed you were familiar with that road.
That being said I'm not sure I'd have been going that fast into that blind narrow corner/crest. Jeez, I never thought I'd be saying that!

I watched this video several times and the car is MOVING as soon as it appears in this video clip and is also on a bit of uphill section when it was standing still, that and the fact this is a tight corner, took you 2 seconds (even while on the brakes) to reach intersection from the time intersection was visible, and at under 50kph that is about 25m the furthest that car driver could see to his left from that intersection. I make it he has done nothing wrong by pulling out other than the unnecessary brake check later on.

That is one thing I can't tell from the video, to me you appeared to drive up to him and then brake unnecessarily late rather than slow down to give him time thus the horn appears unnecessary.
GPS speedos are notorious for their lag. it can take a second or two for them to detect changing road speeds - some even 'bubble' around 0 - 3 mph when you're standing still!
I watched this video several times and the car is MOVING as soon as it appears in this video clip and is also on a bit of uphill section when it was standing still, that and the fact this is a tight corner, took you 2 seconds (even while on the brakes) to reach intersection from the time intersection was visible, and at under 50kph that is about 25m the furthest that car driver could see to his left from that intersection. I make it he has done nothing wrong by pulling out other than the unnecessary brake check later on.
That's the thing with driving though - Any normal driver would pull out and endevour to get up to speed as fast as possible so as not to impede other road users. It might only have been two seconds between seeing the car pull out & getting right up behind him - that's forever on a video clip but the reality is that 2 seconds might be the time you are looking at your speedo or checking your mirror - your eyes have to refocus, look down, look up - it's there.
The OP could've stomped on his brakes - which can turn into other problems or, reduce speed in order to meet the emerging vehicle's speed halfway (if the emerging vehicle is accellerating, there's no need for you to hit zero).

What the other guy did wrong was not try harder to get some speed knowing his view of oncoming traffic was limited.

What the other guy did wrong was not try harder to get some speed knowing his view of oncoming traffic was limited.
That would be because there wasn't much grip starting off from zero up hill around a turn, the OP was struggling to loose speed even in a straight line on the flat!

Some people seem to think he should have abandoned his attempt to pull out when he saw someone coming, to me he should have continued, stopping half way across the road always causes confusion and danger.

That would be because there wasn't much grip starting off from zero up hill around a turn, the OP was struggling to loose speed even in a straight line on the flat!

Some people seem to think he should have abandoned his attempt to pull out when he saw someone coming, to me he should have continued, stopping half way across the road always causes confusion and danger.
Up hill? o_O it's a slight incline at best
And as I said, hardly trying to get up to speed.

Last edited:
If this was a driving test who would be at fault here, the OP, or the car that turned in front of him? not counting the horn and the brake checking.....
Here you get done If you spin your wheels even for a fraction of a second, as long the cops hear it you get fined, I was fined many years ago even though I never spun my wheels and nearly was fined again for same reason, just taking off hard (suzuki swift GTI with sport exhaust)
Yes we should always look at our speedos and check mirrors approaching a blind corner in a place we are not familiar with, looking at the road signs is not really important:confused:

And who tailgates a speeding car around a blind corner with warning signs coming into the corner??? If you have to brake you brake.;)

Back