Official Mini 0801 Firmware 20140308

I tried this on my 'GPS -no internal memory' 0801 (bought from JooVu Nov 2013). The first time it came up with 'IO error' when it tried to record and seemed very reluctant to work. I tried formatting the card before I reloaded the new firmware again. I tested it and left it recording to see if it successfully overwrote the files. It seemed a lot happier and recorded OK but after something like 5 - 7 hours later it just switched itself off. I tried it again but same again. I've loaded 1202 back on (which was previously working fine) and it is now functioning well again. I'm using a Samsung 32GB class 6 card.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I also updated my firmware (no internal, w/GPS) to this 0308 from 1202. Did it a few days ago. I used a spare 8GB card for the firmware update, then replaced the already full 32GB class 10 card. So, similar to what you did, but never re-formatted the card. So far, no problems with over writing the old files on a full memory card.

The firmware update preserved most of my setup settings, so I only had to change a few settings back to what I was previously using.

OK, I'm a bone head, my cam has 20140312 on it.:confused:
I did however test it to see that it was recycling the data and it does.

I wanted to upgrade to this firmware, but when I download it, my computer says it's a VLC file and won't open it. What am I doing wrong?

Download, extract if it's compressed and copy the .bin file onto your memory card and boot the camera with that file only on the card and follow the prompts

Don't worry if your PC has a file association setup for bin files, it won't effect what you need to do

Here's the message I get when I try to open it:
No suitable decoder module:

VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

The updated '308' firmware.

If you downloaded the firmware from the first post of this thread then just copy it straight to your sdcard. Insert the card
into the Mini 0801 and turn it on. It should then display an update firmware prompt, select yes and it will update.

That's what I thought...but it doesn't. Somehow, I think the "VLC" is having a problem with it. I even deleted VLC and that didn't help. It still downloads as a VLC file. It says "file type VLC media"

Last edited:
That's what I thought...but it doesn't. Somehow, I think the "VLC" is having a problem with it. I even deleted VLC and that didn't help. It still downloads as a VLC file.

It's because vlc is associated with the file, I've got vlc player installed on my computer and it's associated with bin files too. It shouldn't matter, the file you download should be a bin file, on your computer right click the firmware file
and click properties and it should say what kind of file it is. In this case it should say VLC Media File (.bin)

It does. When I put the card in the camera and turn it on, nothing happens. The camera just comes up as usual.

It does. When I put the card in the camera and turn it on, nothing happens. The camera just comes up as usual.

Try deleting everything off the card then copy the firmware onto it.

Thanks. I formatted the disc again and then sent the file to the card. Put it in the camera, and the camera just came on as usual. I think I'll hang it up for tonight and just run with 202 tomorrow. When I downloaded it tonight, it looked like it wasn't looping again. That's why I wanted to try the new firmware. Thanks anyway.

So can anyone confirm the bitrate for this firmware? Is it lower than previous versions? How about video quality?

Bests,
Beavis

Why dont you just try it? You can always flash an old version back :D

That message is the reason why I ask.
My current video files have 10923 kbps - so would upgrading mean an almost 2000kbps drop in quality?

Bests,
Beavis

From @Klippie words its sounds like is like that.
I still run my 0801 on original FW, all is fine for me, @if its not broken - don't fix it ;)

One of my 3 0801's cams doesn't seem to like this latest firmware for some reason, though it may be a iffy card though I don't think so.

Worked fine until it went into recycling mode, I noticed sometimes the blue led will stay on for several seconds instead of the normal regular flashing on/off to indicate recording, and I've also observed that sometimes the blue led will flash on/off quite rapidly.. much more quickly than normal, though on looking at the video files they look okay to me.

Unlike the other 2 cams in the car this one is now set to use 720p as it's only used as a home security camera, basically watching my car on the driveway through the night mainly, as there's been a spate of catalytic exhausts being stolen from 4x4 vehicles just lately in the area. When I flashed to the latest version the other day I did drop the video type down to 720p just to see if it gave a longer recording time before it started overwriting, as quality is not terribly important as long as it's viewable, but the longer recording time as a home cam could be beneficial.

Anyway, as it's been working months on 1202 I've shoved that back on, just to see if this weird blue Led behaviour still occurs. though I'm now wondering whether I'm looking for a fault where there is none, as being set to 720p video, it may not need to write continuously, is there a small buffer on these cams? before it writes the data out to the card, or does it continually write to the card regardless which video mode it's set at ?.

Last edited:
Back