Ordered A119S V2 and received the old F1.6 lens?

Is this also a V2 lens?
Thank you?
949d1a5f7da6749e778fc338ddf58c56.jpg
20803a502fbf152d097e2e89aa580e41.jpg
6d02ffdb6773c36e1e259a1a34db55a1.jpg
That is the original A129 lens. Not sure why it's referred to as V2 in the picture in the previous post. It's a good lens.

Ok, I meant lens2, the wide angle lens, not the first lens of A119S
And according to the pictures, also in this thread, and in comparison to my second A119S I'm pretty sure it's a lens2.

But its the newest one. So you are fine

Is this also a V2 lens?
I lately received my A119S and also have the same question:
20181125_054113.jpg20181125_054253.jpg20181125_054530.jpg
At the first glance it looked as ordinary uncoated F1.6 Lens. The tests showed very soft night image and significant halos around the light sources. Thus, I investigated the flares on the lens surface trough the loupe. I noticed that reflected lamp image on the front lens surface was blurred and unclear.

IMPORTANT
I finally realized that the layer of glue rests from the protective film was the reason of halos! It took me almost an hour for this nasty snot safety removal! It took almost twice as much for CPL filter as it had two protective films on it!

Tools and Materials.
I used medical tissues with isopropyl alcohol for injections, lens care kit (rubber pump, velvet wiper, and isopropyl alcohol spray), very soft paper tissues, and distilled water spray.

The Procedure.
  1. I softly wiped the lens surface circle-wise with medical tissues.
  2. Right away I sprayed once with distilled water and quickly wiped the lens surface with soft paper tissue.
  3. Repeated step 1 and 2 until the reflected image became sharp and bright and lens appeared almost black under bright lamp. Replaced medical tissue after used it from either side. Replaced paper tissue after each iteration.
  4. Even after long cleaning I saw whitish stains while looking at the lens surface against bright lamp trough the loupe. Used lens care kit for perfect result.
  5. Repeated steps 1-5 until got absolutely clear lens/CPL filter surface.
Precautions
Be very gentle while wiping the lens. Do not use any hard grain paper. Special optic tissues and wipers is the best choice. Do not let isopropyl alcohol affect the lens longer than 30 seconds. Wash it with one spray of distilled water immediately after 10-15 wipe circles.
Check the surface condition trough the loupe after each step to avoid coating damage.
After lens cleaning the night tests became perfect! The halos almost disappeared and the image contrast also significantly increased. Yet, the windscreen needs polishing.

I hope this guide will be useful for other users.

Still ask for help to identify my lens type.
Thanks

Last edited:
Very good work. But please change the position of the speaker wires.

please change the position of the speaker wires.
It was the way how they were fixed right after I opened the cover. What is the better option please?

Put it at the bottom of the housing.
Away from the copper sticker

Make it like in this video

I lately received my A119S and also have the same question:
At the first glance it looked as ordinary uncoated F1.6 Lens. The tests showed very soft night image and significant halos around the light sources. Thus, I investigated the flares on the lens surface trough the loupe. I noticed that reflected lamp image on the front lens surface was blurred and unclear.

IMPORTANT
I finally realized that the layer of glue rests from the protective film was the reason of halos! It took me almost an hour for this nasty snot safety removal! It took almost twice as much for CPL filter as it had two protective films on it!

Tools and Materials.
I used medical tissues with isopropyl alcohol for injections, lens care kit (rubber pump, velvet wiper, and isopropyl alcohol spray), very soft paper tissues, and distilled water spray.

The Procedure.
  1. I softly wiped the lens surface circle-wise with medical tissues.
  2. Right away I sprayed once with distilled water and quickly wiped the lens surface with soft paper tissue.
  3. Repeated step 1 and 2 until the reflected image became sharp and bright and lens appeared almost black under bright lamp. Replaced medical tissue after used it from either side. Replaced paper tissue after each iteration.
  4. Even after long cleaning I saw whitish stains while looking at the lens surface against bright lamp trough the loupe. Used lens care kit for perfect result.
  5. Repeated steps 1-5 until got absolutely clear lens/CPL filter surface.
Precautions
Be very gentle while wiping the lens. Do not use any hard grain paper. Special optic tissues and wipers is the best choice. Do not let isopropyl alcohol affect the lens longer than 30 seconds. Wash it with one spray of distilled water immediately after 10-15 wipe circles.
Check the surface condition trough the loupe after each step to avoid coating damage.
After lens cleaning the night tests became perfect! The halos almost disappeared and the image contrast also significantly increased. Yet, the windscreen needs polishing.

I hope this guide will be useful for other users.

Still ask for help to identify my lens type.
Thanks

It's lens 2.
The newest viofo lens (it's out for a long time though).

That is the original A129 lens. Not sure why it's referred to as V2 in the picture in the previous post. It's a good lens.

It's not any official V2 lens designation. It's more for general knowledge that us members of the forum here use. Differentiating between the various lenses and mountings that the A119S has had over it's production is more for the modified firmware user's knowledge. This is important for us, since the official fw, as well as many of the modified fw we're using have different picture quality results/quirks based on the specific lens that A119S has.

And I guess as well to get a CPL filter that doesn't vignette the picture. A119S lens 1 does not vignette, lens 2 (also used on A129) does vignette unless you have the newer CPL filter design.

It's lens 2.
The newest viofo lens (it's out for a long time though).
Thanks for identification.
It's not any official V2 lens designation. It's more for general knowledge that us members of the forum here use. Differentiating between the various lenses and mountings that the A119S has had over it's production is more for the modified firmware user's knowledge.
there's a lot of misinformation about lenses which just leads to confusion
Hey guys! Thanks for your expertise. Yet, it seems to me there is some term confusion with the lens type number within A119S forum.
I counted at least 3 lens types mentioned to be installed in A119S:
F1.6 V1 uncoated lens with metal base
F1.8 V2 coated lens with plastic base
either lens type mentioned in this well known video
furthermore we have 2 lens types (Lens 1 and Lens 2) mentioned in this picture
DCTeam-A119S-Lens1+Lens2.png
Lens F1.6 V1 from video is very similar to Lens 2 from the photo above. Are they the same? Should we reconsider lens type ID somehow?
Would you please clarify the terminology and please advise where I can find some technical data for each Lens type?
What exactly lens type of above mentioned my A119S have? (I bought it 1 month ago in US and it had the latest firmware version installed)
How good comparatively the coating, contrast, resolution, sharpness, focus distance, aperture of my lens and what version of MODs should I choose?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for identification.

Hey guys! Thanks for your expertise. Yet, it seems to me there is some term confusion with the lens type number within A119S forum.
I counted at least 3 lens types mentioned to be installed in A119S:
F1.6 V1 uncoated lens with metal base
F1.8 V2 coated lens with plastic base
either lens type mentioned in this well known video
furthermore we have 2 lens types (Lens 1 and Lens 2) mentioned in this picture
Lens F1.6 V1 from video is very similar to Lens 2 from the photo above. Are they the same? Should we reconsider lens type ID somehow?
Would you please clarify the terminology and please advise where I can find some technical data for each Lens type?
What exactly lens type of above mentioned my A119S have? (I bought it 1 month ago in US and it had the latest firmware version installed)
How good comparatively the coating, contrast, resolution, sharpness, focus distance, aperture of my lens and what version of MODs should I choose?
Thanks!
Great questions and you are correct, its all screwed up by my 2017 mistake.
My old Lens Comparison video was accurate except for one digit. All A119S Dashcam VIOFO Lenses use F1.6 aperture, I mistakenly used F1.8, its more of a "label" to tell them apart for reference. To be accurate only the A119Pro has the F1.8 aperture Lens. To be more precise in that video was the very first Public photo of the current Lens 1 being used in A129Duo, it was sent to me for testing, both the old 2017 Lens V1 V2 are my own references numbers and not official designations and the reverse of my current Lens1 Lens2 names.

Its all very confusing due to the mistake in my video referencing F1.8 aperture. In an effort to clarify the Lens versions and answer your question here is current known information Dec 2018.

FACTs
Back in 2017 when that video was made it shows the original 2016 Lens.
F1.6 uncoated Lens with defective metal base 135 FOV used in original first generation A119S fits original CPL Filter without vignetting = now abandoned not used in any A119S as of Jan 2018.

F1.6 coated Lens with plastic base 130 FOV used in original first generation A119S fits original CPL Filter without vignetting = still found in some A119S as of Jan 2018. = (BCHobbyist 2018 name = Lens 1)

F1.6 coated Lens with new metal base 130 FOV used in second generation A119S fits original CPL Filter without vignetting = used in A119S and A129Duo as of March to Dec 2018. = (BCHobbyist 2018 name = Lens 1)

F1.6 uncoated Lens with new metal base 140 FOV used in second generation A119S & A129 requires larger beveled CPL Filter to stop vignetting = used in A119S & A129Duo as of Jan to Dec 2018. = (BCHobbyist 2018 name = Lens 2)

I changed my own Lens naming scheme also by mistake, the new and different wide angle A129Duo Lens became Lens 2 due to A-1-2-9 more accurate name should be Lens 3 but too late now.

These are my own Lens names for reference only and have nothing to do with official or ordering specifications.
Correcting YouTube video today.

Last edited:
Actually both lens are F1.6, main difference is FOV.

Actually both lens are F1.6, main difference is FOV
Are there any specs or datasheets for these available? Are there at least focus distance, contrast or resolution? FOV is a calculating value that depends on matrix dimensions and fucus distance. FOV values do make a confusion when they referred to the same lens on different VIOFO models. Thanks!

F1.6 uncoated Lens with new metal base 140 FOV used in second generation A119S & A129 requires larger beveled CPL Filter to stop vignetting = used in A119S & A129Duo as of Jan to Dec 2018. = (BCHobbyist 2018 name = Lens 2)
Thus, I consider my lens as Lens 2 type. It has some wider FOV that makes me happy. However, I learned this new CPL frame vignetting problem from you.
I pointed the lens on gray LCD test screen and discovered very slight corner vignetting while CPL is attached. It took me about half an hour to get rid of the problem. Hope this will be useful for other users.
Instructions
1. Remove the camera cover and disassemble the upper lens case. Unscrew the lens PCB and remove the front lens cover. There are three points (studs) that should be shortened for about 1 mm to move the lens forward accordingly. Measure and control every stud height using vernier calliper as shown
20181215_165923-1.jpg
File down the 3 support points for about 1mm as shown
20181215_163425-1.jpg
20181215_163531.jpg
After the filing down of PCB support studs done, gently tighten the screws down and up several times for heads to reach the plastic surface as shown
20181215_165445-1.jpg
After modification is finished tighten the lens PCB with two screws and assemble the lens case as well as the camera case.
As it shown in the photo the lens overtops the frame for 1mm, whilst it still doesn't touch the inner CPL surface.
20181215_170805-1.jpg
The above modification completely removes the CPL frame vignetting effect from the wider type 2 lens.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
Im using viofo a119s for two months.
Everything was fine until i update firmware to 4.00
Video was very bad.
Now im using 6vj.
But Please help me - is that Lens 1 or Lens 2?
It will help me to choose right firmware.

Attachments

• 20181215_111238.jpg
    20181215_111238.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 34
Back