Ordered A119S V2 and received the old F1.6 lens?

Latest yes, but may be replaced in the near future.
Wider FOV means you can see more left to right; it has a slight fisheye effect, but the upside is better clarity near-far.

Ah you mean they would change it in the production, not I need to change it.
You think they can do a quite better one?

Hi folks,
the A119S V2 I bought just last week from a popular eBay shop was delivered, and it has the old F1.6 non-coated lens. I've attached a photo of it.

I am surprised and upset as the improved F1.8 coated lens has been out for more than 8 months (link: A119S Lens Comparison old F1.6 vs new F1.8), which suggests the popular seller had shipped me really old stock.

Before I take things further with the seller, I'd like to know what are the chances of getting an old F1.6 lens today with a new A119S V2. Anyone?
Welcome to the Lens Lottery,
You own the newer F1.6 wide angle A129 - 140FOV uncoated Lens2. You can tell its uncoated because reflected lightbulb on glass is white, coated reflection appears green.
There is nothing wrong with these wide angle Lenses, they are not the old F1.6 version, those were not 140FOV. The only issue owners discover is center Focus may not be perfect. Post daytime test footage with view down road to horizon.
The Video you linked has incorrect F1.8 aperture should be F1.6

Hello, can you please tell me if I got the newest lens version with my last order?
Thank you!
2d588fbf1da50126a7afcbe6a38a717c.jpg
6bf84d5ad4aad162f77dbacd555486a1.jpg
01599f7d0ecf53470372df0c51fa18a7.jpg
Welcome to the Lens Lottery, You own the newer F1.6 wide angle A129 - 140FOV uncoated Lens2.
There is nothing wrong with these wide angle Lenses, they are not the old F1.6 version, those were not 140FOV. The only issue owners discover is center Focus may not be perfect. Post daytime test footage with view down road to horizon.

DCTeam-A119S-Lens1+Lens2.png

140 is a diagonal.
This is a good lens.

FOV of 140º diagonal corresponds to ~135º horizontal FOV (for 16:9 image aspect ratio).
Not much of a difference.

:)) I'm sure if you turn the paper diagonal, real FOV will be like 115º then...

You have to check it yourself and make sure you write nonsense. ;)

Last edited:
Math don't lie!

For 140º diagonal FOV -> 135º horizontal FOV.
For 110º horizontal FOV -> 117º diagonal FOV.

Maybe that picture was taken with a type 1 lens? :unsure:

Math don't lie!
There is a Russian proverb:
Trust but check!
These DVR are in my hands, except A119.

А119 (F 1.8) ≈ 110°
А119PRO (F 1.8) ≈ 95°
A129 (F 1.6) ≈ 110°
A119S (F 1.8) ≈ 100°
A119S (F 1.6) ≈ 95°

A119_110°.jpg A119PRO 95гр.jpg A129_110.png Угол 119S F1.8.jpg 119S-(95°).jpg

This is an angle of 95 ° on the original F 1.6 lens on the A119S
and an alternative lens with a viewing angle of 120 ° on the A119S

95°.jpg

120°.jpg

This is for you to understand the difference from 95 ° to 130 °
Another experiment with a lens on the A119S, the angle in the horizon is over 130 °

130°.png

It seems you're not getting I'm not arguing with you...

Your point being? Is Viofo lying about their cameras FOV?
I was just saying that a lens with 140º diagonal FOV cannot have 110º horizontal FOV. Russians used to have good mathematicians...

I was just saying that a lens with 140º diagonal FOV cannot have 110º horizontal FOV. Russians used to have good mathematicians...
Hey,
it seems to me, you used the wrong formula for your calculation. The right one is:
α = 2arctg(d/2F) , where α is, a FOV angle, "F" - the main focus distance of the lens, "d" is an effective matrix dimension.
In our case you can treat "d" as matrix diagonal or as its length. You can get all the necessary matrix specs from here.
As you can notice there is a nonlinear relation between diagonal and horizontal FOV angle.
As incredulous gse proved, the real situation could be very far from the result of this formula calculation. It caused by significant optical distortion of the image cased by low quality and very short-focus of the lens. Thus, I'd rather measure all these lens specs than trust Viofo marketing figures.
Furthermore, it'd be very useful if someone measures the focal length and optical resolution of every lens type. These params are critical for the hyperfocal distance calculation. The latter is used for the optimal lens tuning.

That is (almost) the formula I used... do the math!
But you are right: I didn't took into account the amount of barrel distortion the different lenses introduce, so the real horizontal FOV should be measured and not determined mathematically.

Yes, it seems to be the newest one

Back