Ordered A119S V2 and received the old F1.6 lens?

Hello everyone,
Im using viofo a119s for two months.
Everything was fine until i update firmware to 4.00
Video was very bad.
Now im using 6vj.
But Please help me - is that Lens 1 or Lens 2?
It will help me to choose right firmware.

It's lens 2, and it looks dirty:)
Can you please post a couple of videos.

Thus, I consider my lens as Lens 2 type. It has some wider FOV that makes me happy. However, I learned this new CPL frame vignetting problem from you.
I pointed the lens on gray LCD test screen and discovered very slight corner vignetting while CPL is attached. It took me about half an hour to get rid of the problem. Hope this will be useful for other users.
Instructions
1. Remove the camera cover and disassemble the upper lens case. Unscrew the lens PCB and remove the front lens cover. There are three points (studs) that should be shortened for about 1 mm to move the lens forward accordingly. Measure and control every stud height using vernier calliper as shown
File down the 3 support points for about 1mm as shown
After the filing down of PCB support studs done, gently tighten the screws down and up several times for heads to reach the plastic surface as shown
After modification is finished tighten the lens PCB with two screws and assemble the lens case as well as the camera case.
As it shown in the photo the lens overtops the frame for 1mm, whilst it still doesn't touch the inner CPL surface.
The above modification completely removes the CPL frame vignetting effect from the wider type 2 lens.
Nice Lens Mount MOD you have there, interesting delicate project for a winter month. The 140 degree FOV wide angle Lens wasn't designed for the current plastic mount forcing owners to buy yet another slightly larger CPL Filter to fit without vignetting. Where there is a need there is a MOD.

Correcting YouTube video today
See it's done already. Thanks!
What type of lens mentioned in this your post installed in A119PRO which I also own?

See it's done already. Thanks!
What type of lens mentioned in this your post installed in A119PRO which I also own?
VIOFO A119Pro Dashcam - specs
- 1440P@30fps & 1080P@60fps + 30fps resolution
- Novatek NT96660 chipset
- Aptina AR0521 5MP Image Sensor
- 7G Lens F1.8 Aperture
- 130 degree field of view

7G Lens F1.8 Aperture
That means it's a completely different lens from that installed anywhere on A119S? Is it not the same as F1.8 in your corrected youtube video for A119S lens comparison?
The FOV should not be a reference as A119S and A119PRO have different matrix dimensions.

Last edited:
The 140 degree FOV wide angle Lens wasn't designed for the current plastic mount forcing owners to buy yet another slightly larger CPL Filter to fit without vignetting. Where there is a need there is a MOD.
The end of the story is that appeared that I confusingly installed a CPL from A119PRO (2 mm less in diameter) on my A119S. Tomorrow they will join their couples! And my A119S won't definitely have any kind of vignetting!:happy:

Hello everyone,
Im using viofo a119s for two months.
Everything was fine until i update firmware to 4.00
Video was very bad.
Now im using 6vj.
But Please help me - is that Lens 1 or Lens 2?
It will help me to choose right firmware.
It is V2 F1.6 wide FOV lens.

OK now I'm a little confused.... which ones do I have here and which one is best? I need to put the best one in my Wife's car.

We recently had an incident on the road with a truck throwing rocks (very negligent trucking company) and when I went back to try and ID the truck the footage was horrible (original VAVA camera (non-2K), daytime sunlight footage, me and the truck traveling at 70MPH with the truck in the lane next to me).

Here's the 2 VIOFOs I have right now:

dcmage1.jpeg

OK now I'm a little confused.... which ones do I have here and which one is best? I need to put the best one in my Wife's car.

We recently had an incident on the road with a truck throwing rocks (very negligent trucking company) and when I went back to try and ID the truck the footage was horrible (original VAVA camera (non-2K), daytime sunlight footage, me and the truck traveling at 70MPH with the truck in the lane next to me).

Here's the 2 VIOFOs I have right now:

View attachment 43661

On the left side you have so called V2 lens, on the right side V1.
It's hard to say which one is better without checking some footage (preferably taken under same conditions).
One of the cams can be perfectly focused, the other one can be slightly unfocused...
I prefer the V1, but it doesn't mean it's better then the V2, it's just my V1 is focused better.

The best way to determine which one is better is to install both of them (same firmware) and compare video or\and screenshots.
Readability of license plates depends on many uncontrollable factors, so it's best to install and run the cams simultaneously.
MOD firmware comparing to the VIOFO stock firmware can also improve video quality, especially by increasing the bitrate.

Last edited:
We will never know unless some gets a different lense and reports its photo on the forum I guess:)

The Lens1 & Lens2 graphic I created below clearing shows the different Lens shapes for quick identification. Both A129 & A119S will only be sold with narrower 130 FOV coated Lens once all old Lens stock is sold off. The other A119 Pro and A119 models have completely different F1.8 & FOV Lens which as far as I know have never changed.

The question of which is better depends on your Dash Cam's recorded video purpose.
A) If you purchased a Dashcam solely to record accident evidence and seldom collect or view daily footage the image should be the brightest possible. This is achieved with widest angle brightest Lens = F1.6 aperture 140-160 FOV uncoated Lens without CPL Filter attached.
B) If you purchased a Dashcam to record accident evidence and frequently collect, save and view interesting daily footage the image should be colourful, realistic without fisheye reflections. This is achieved with narrower Field of View = F1.6 aperture 130-135 FOV + coated to improve color and reduce reflections + CPL Filter attached to reduce plastic dash surface reflections.

It would be interesting to see the difference side-by-side with the same firmware. I would do it but I only have lens 2 on my dashcams.

Firmware takes into account the characteristics of each lens, so if the lenses differ the firmware should differ too. Folks who do lens swaps find that what worked perfectly with the old lens requires tweaking to equal the performance using the new lens. Thus a direct comparison like this won't tell you much other than one combination (the one as designed) looks and works better, which of course it should.

Phil

i am a bit confused.... here in Europe they sell directly from Viofo on the Amazon UK the A119s V2 but always talking about 135 FOV also here in germany.
i buy this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07KYB42H4
after testing some Firmwares i sugest that the Vj Firmware gives me a unsharp center so i think its a 130° Fov Lens
The 6Vh FW is good also the 26s that i use now is almost perfect
the lens is uncoated and inside it is Metall

over all i can say, the most important is to have good quality and this i get now.
way better than my Itracker A12 i used before

cheers from Germany
Hanns

BTW i uploades 2 short Videos with diffrent FW

Last edited:
Back