Original Mobius night recording with 4mm ~ F1.2 lens (!)

So who does have the most Mobii around here?

So who does have the most Mobii around here?

I don't have most Mobi here, but I already had 9 cams in total, and I got gready so I bought nr 10, and then it kicked me out the comfort of my bed.... :(

Thank G@d we have a fantastic couch.....:ROFLMAO:

Might as well buy 2 other Mobi, since I'm already in the basket now.... why not combine the punishment and get on with it.... hahahaha

Last edited:
I don't have most Mobi here, but I already had 9 cams in total, and I got gready so I bought nr 10, and then it kicked me out the comfort of my bed.... :(

Might as well buy 2 other Mobi, since I'm already in the basket now.... why not combinme the punishment and get on with it.... hahahaha

Better the couch than the doghouse. :D:playful:

Might as well buy 2 other Mobi, since I'm already in the basket now.... why not combine the punishment and get on with it.... hahahaha
Unfortunately it doesn't end there. Each new camera needs a memory card, a mount, a long USB cable, a power source.....

Then when you have that many cameras you can't remember what settings you are using on all of them.

It's not easy testing cameras!

Unfortunately it doesn't end there. Each new camera needs a memory card, a mount, a long USB cable, a power source.....

Then when you have that many cameras you can't remember what settings you are using on all of them.

Yeah I know, we have a problem....

WE'RE ALL GOING BANKRUPT....

I think I would avoid those two lenses. Neither of the two lenses you linked appear to have an IR-cut filter installed so they would perform similarly to the IR varifocal lens installed on one of my Mobius cams that I've been discussing for the last several months. Lenses sold without an IR-cut filter are really meant for CCTV cameras that already have an IR-cut filter installed internally. To use these M12 lenses in a dash cam or action cam they require the IR-cut filter to be attached directly on the rear of the lens. Another issue, FWIW is that one vendor only has two items for sale, an overpriced IP cam and the 4mm lens in your link, so they seem a little questionable for an Amazon retailer and the other is a Chinese vendor who sells all manner of items and just happens to have this 2.8mm lens on offer. They also don't mention what the aperture is on their lens and that is information you will want to know. I would recommend buying from a vendor who specializes in these kind of lenses and related products.

Speaking of which, I just ordered some of the lenses being discussed in this thread from two different vendors on AliExpress and so far have had an excellent experience. In both instances, the vendors responded almost instantly to my pre-purchase questions and were very friendly and knowledgeable. Both vendors were happy to provide the lenses with IR-cut filters and both shipped out my order promptly. One guy even had a sense of humor. After he messaged back to me that he would be happy to supply the requested IR-cut filter at no charge I immediately went ahead and placed my order. As soon as he saw the order come through he messaged back a double VICTORY emoji! Had a good chuckle over that.

The three lenses I ordered were the 6mm ƒ/1.2 and 4mm ƒ/1.2 from TreeEye that we've been discussing all along here and another 6mm ƒ/1.2 from a different vendor .

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/F1-...-Lens-For-HD-CCTV-IP-Cameras/32827674380.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sta...ard-Lens-F1-2-Aperture-1-2-5/32667902637.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Yum...nsor-1-2-7-Optical-starlight/32831971159.html
I was able to take advantage of the dramatically reduced prices on 11/11 available because of "Singles Day", China's massive answer to Amazon Prime Day, which led me to order the extra 6mm lens out of curiosity as it is of a somewhat different design.

I can appreciate your desire to order from Amazon but in this case I think it best to be patient and order elsewhere. While it will be awhile until the lenses I ordered from AliExpress arrive I have confidence there won't be any issues based on my positive experience with the vendors and the fact the others here have not mentioned any adverse issues either. On one order I paid an extra two and a half dollars to upgrade to an expedited shipping method.

Another option for you if you don't want to order direct from China might be to look to purchasing from vendors like M12 lenses.com or Peau Productions.

As always, excellent, thorough, detailed and full of so much info.

One of my other reasons I didn't want to deal with a China shipment is because I’m in the midst of a move as well as about to embark on a cross-country road trip. I wanted to be confident that I’d have the lenses on hand before the trip and also wanted less hassles with missed/undeliverable/forwarded mail, etc. As it turns out, things had to be pushed back by several weeks now, so I am going to heed your advice and order from China instead. May even do expedited shipping, though likely not necessary. Clearly, it’s a much better and easier experience (not to mention cheaper and with a far broader selection) that I’d imagined.

Much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

@M Basta
Remember to keep your forwarding address renewed when you move- the USPS drops this service after six months unless you renew the form so get several when you pick the form up at the Post Office ;)

Phil

Why not just number them, and in a notebook write all associated information along with the corresponding number.

I think I would avoid those two lenses. Neither of the two lenses you linked appear to have an IR-cut filter installed so they would perform similarly to the IR varifocal lens installed on one of my Mobius cams that I've been discussing for the last several months. Lenses sold without an IR-cut filter are really meant for CCTV cameras that already have an IR-cut filter installed internally. To use these M12 lenses in a dash cam or action cam they require the IR-cut filter to be attached directly on the rear of the lens. Another issue, FWIW is that one vendor only has two items for sale, an overpriced IP cam and the 4mm lens in your link, so they seem a little questionable for an Amazon retailer and the other is a Chinese vendor who sells all manner of items and just happens to have this 2.8mm lens on offer. They also don't mention what the aperture is on their lens and that is information you will want to know. I would recommend buying from a vendor who specializes in these kind of lenses and related products.

Speaking of which, I just ordered some of the lenses being discussed in this thread from two different vendors on AliExpress and so far have had an excellent experience. In both instances, the vendors responded almost instantly to my pre-purchase questions and were very friendly and knowledgeable. Both vendors were happy to provide the lenses with IR-cut filters and both shipped out my order promptly. One guy even had a sense of humor. After he messaged back to me that he would be happy to supply the requested IR-cut filter at no charge I immediately went ahead and placed my order. As soon as he saw the order come through he messaged back a double VICTORY emoji! Had a good chuckle over that.

The three lenses I ordered were the 6mm ƒ/1.2 and 4mm ƒ/1.2 from TreeEye that we've been discussing all along here and another 6mm ƒ/1.2 from a different vendor .

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/F1-...-Lens-For-HD-CCTV-IP-Cameras/32827674380.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sta...ard-Lens-F1-2-Aperture-1-2-5/32667902637.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Yum...nsor-1-2-7-Optical-starlight/32831971159.html
I was able to take advantage of the dramatically reduced prices on 11/11 available because of "Singles Day", China's massive answer to Amazon Prime Day, which led me to order the extra 6mm lens out of curiosity as it is of a somewhat different design.

I can appreciate your desire to order from Amazon but in this case I think it best to be patient and order elsewhere. While it will be awhile until the lenses I ordered from AliExpress arrive I have confidence there won't be any issues based on my positive experience with the vendors and the fact the others here have not mentioned any adverse issues either. On one order I paid an extra two and a half dollars to upgrade to an expedited shipping method.

Another option for you if you don't want to order direct from China might be to look to purchasing from vendors like M12 lenses.com or Peau Productions.

I haven't had that great of an experience with asking the vendors questions, I received answers like the question about cut IR filters being installed but when asking about whether the Star Light lenses were made with Aspherical or Spherical lens in glass or plastic I never received an answer from different vendors, one, Kay Wu said she didn't know what those words meant. I found that kind of incredible since she was a direst intermediary for one (or more) of the lens manufactures. When I asked if she could ask someone and get back to me, I never received a reply, I contacted all of them more then once with this question. One company (Mitsumi) says it uses Aspherical lenses in their starlight lenses, but would never reply when asked if they were glass or plastic.

I haven't had that great of an experience with asking the vendors questions, I received answers like the question about cut IR filters being installed but when asking about whether the Star Light lenses were made with Aspherical or Spherical lens in glass or plastic I never received an answer from different vendors, one, Kay Wu said she didn't know what those words meant. I found that kind of incredible since she was a direst intermediary for one (or more) of the lens manufactures. When I asked if she could ask someone and get back to me, I never received a reply, I contacted all of them more then once with this question. One company (Mitsumi) says it uses Aspherical lenses in their starlight lenses, but would never reply when asked if they were glass or plastic.

I'm sorry to hear of your experience and it's certainly worth noting. I had a good experience but then again I didn't ask any specific technical questions about the lenses. Maybe I'll try asking similar questions from the vendors I'm dealing with and see what happens.

I'm sorry to hear of your experience and it's certainly worth noting. I had a good experience but then again I didn't ask any specific technical questions about the lenses. Maybe I'll try asking similar questions from the vendors I'm dealing with and see what happens.

Good luck, try asking the Aspherical/Spherical question. I would really like to see an answer to that as I expect you would also.

Good luck, try asking the Aspherical/Spherical question. I would really like to see an answer to that as I expect you would also.

The ones you've been talking to wouldn't know, most of these vendors are CCTV lens resellers (probably at the bottom of the chain), few I communicated with didn't know what an IR cut filter was. Their knowledge of the product is mostly limited to what's already mentioned in their listing's description.

Limited availability of information aside, my experience has actually been pretty good, got prompt and clear replies to what was asked and all four lenses received are as described.

Most of these lenses are $7-10 bucks, for that much no point going so deep, just try a couple that are closest to the configuration you're looking for.

What exact specifications are you looking for, if you could list them out, maybe some of us could help you find one that fits or comes closest to your requirement.

Why not just number them, and in a notebook write all associated information along with the corresponding number.
I do have a dashcam notebook. My mobii are called M1A, M1D, M1Z, M2A & M2B. I take note of which FW each has installed, plus the mode 1 & 2 settings and any other relevant information such as which lens and SD card I'm using. It's a bit rough, but it's enough to remind me what I changed from one day to the next.
IMG_20171117_210433.jpg

Last edited:
I do have a dashcam notebook. My mobii are called M1A, M1D, M1Z, M2A & M2B. I take note of which FW each has installed, plus the mode 1 & 2 settings and any other relevant information such as which lens and SD card I'm using. It's a bit rough, but it's enough to remind me what I changed from one day to the next.
View attachment 34667

One feature of mSetup I find very handy with the Mobius is the ability to designate a four character prefix to the files the camera produces. As I'm currently running four Mobi in my vehicle I give each camera a unique name such as REAR, LEFT, RGT_ and M_IR (infrared) . This makes things vastly easier and less confusing when I bring memory cards inside to transfer to my computer. If you don't already do this, it might be a good practice to add to your routine.

naming.jpg

One feature of mSetup I find very handy with the Mobius is the ability to designate a four character prefix to the files the camera produces. As I'm currently running four Mobi in my vehicle I give each camera a unique name such as REAR, LEFT, RGT_ and M_IR (infrared) . This makes things vastly easier and less confusing when I bring memory cards inside to transfer to my computer. If you don't already do this, it might be a good practice to add to your routine.

View attachment 34668
Yes, I do that already :) That's why they have short names. M1A_ etc. Of course the M2's don't do that....

I know, yet another feature no longer available in the "new and improved" Mobius 2. :grumpy:
To make things worse, I'm comparing two M2's tonight. I reformatted both cameras before setting out. So for any given scene the file names from both cameras are exactly the same! :eek:

To make things worse, I'm comparing two M2's tonight. I reformatted both cameras before setting out. So for any given scene the file names from both cameras are exactly the same! :eek:

At least as far as Mobius cameras go, not the memory cards, I've used little round white stickers from the stationary store. They're about the size of a pencil eraser in diameter and I'll use one or more to designate a particular camera. This practice came about after I got completely bollixed up about which camera was which on one occasion when I took them out to reinstall in my truck. I've also used a marker to write a number or unique mark on memory cards.

Back