Original Mobius night recording with 4mm ~ F1.2 lens (!)

Discussion in 'Mobius' started by dirkzelf, Oct 14, 2017.

1. jokiin

jokiin Well-Known Member Manufacturer

China
    Dash Cam:
    Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    look up what a starlight lens is and then you might see why you can't get a straight answer, I haven't seen any of the lenses mentioned that are actually starlight lenses, I suspect they just see that as a good marketing term for a lens with a large aperture

2. Lola

Lola Well-Known Member

United States
    Dash Cam:
    Mobius
    Of course it's a marketing term (smart move), it's basically the only way the average consumer is going to get a large aperture lens. The real question though is why ?
    I'm expecting any day now to see some manufacture wanting to make a name for themselves come out with the Night Lightning series of M12 aspherical lenses with values in f running from 1.0 to 2.0, however, I am not going to hold my breath :rolleyes::D:cool:.

3. jokiin

China
    Dash Cam:
    Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    it's a misapplication of the name in this case, it does relate to a specific technology and not just a made up name for the sake of marketing

Lola likes this.
  4. Lola

Lola Well-Known Member

United States
    Dash Cam:
    Mobius
    Misapplication, yea,right! You mean like someone calling their product Mustang, Whirlpool, Challenger, etc,. The technology you refer to is called Marketing!

5. Dashmellow

Dashmellow Well-Known Member

United States
    Dash Cam:
    SG9665GC, Mobius/M2 (x7), GT680W (modded), DR32, others
    My understanding is that "Starlight Technology" is a form of amplified night vision that is only marginally related to the lenses involved. In some cases Starlight refers to certain highly sensitive sensors used in some CCTV cameras
    and more recently other types of cameras. I suspect that in this case the term "Starlight lens" is borrowed from that.

http://www.optics4birding.com/starlight-technology.aspx

6. jokiin

China
    Dash Cam:
    Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    no, as per the link that @Dashmellow posted there is actually a lens technology that is named Starlight which is a powered lens, I'm sure the lenses being promoted by these Aliexpress sellers have no relationship to that technology and are just static lenses with large apertures and they have 'borrowed' the name