Out of focus (blurry) C600 dashcam videos and pictures.

it doesn't, it does alter the picture though

All the video clips are recorded at 720p, not 1080p interpolated.

It's acting like a video camera.
Focus depends upon what's in front.
It's definitely auto focus.

Do you know if a firmware update can fix it or give option to change auto to fix focus?
If yes where can I download it?
thanks

have yet to see one using auto focus, if it is it's a problem, not going to work well as a dashcam

have yet to see one using auto focus, if it is it's a problem, not going to work well as a dashcam

I've seen dashcams with auto focus.
For example: GS900 -->
GS900%20Car%20Dash%20Camcorder_1.jpg

auto focus is not suitable for dashcam use, I wouldn't have too much faith in what's printed on the box or product though when dealing with generic goods

If you're having so much problems, it's probably worth to just trash it or make a rear camera and buy another camera

@Sunny, maybe your focus problems are temperature related? Plastic lenses and lens holders tend to alter focus depending on how hot they are. Usually a hot plastic lens assembly focuses on distant objects and cold one on closer ones. Saw this lots of times in dash cams.

@Sunny, maybe your focus problems are temperature related? Plastic lenses and lens holders tend to alter focus depending on how hot they are. Usually a hot plastic lens assembly focuses on distant objects and cold one on closer ones. Saw this lots of times in dash cams.

was thinking this is a possibility also

That may be what's happening.
I'll have to test it little more.
I'll leave the cam in the car and drive the same route when it's hot.
Hmmm...
If I open it up and twist it so it focuses little farther, it may work in all temperatures.
Also, can i replace the plastic lens cap with a small glass fisheye lens?

Last edited:
If you're having so much problems, it's probably worth to just trash it or make a rear camera and buy another camera
I'm just trying to get the focus thingy working. It's not bad when it's working properly.
Seller says he can refund but have to return the camera to China and that's not happening as it'll cost more than what I paid.
If it doesn't work, another cam is the solution and I'm looking/reading at few.

If I open it up and twist it so it focuses little farther, it may work in all temperatures.
Also, can i replace the plastic lens cap with a small glass fisheye lens?
That is what I usually do; replace plastic lens holder with metal one and plastic lens with glass/metal lens - provided I like the camera and it doesn't die in a couple of days after purchase...

You most likely can; at least all the cams I ever saw use the same lens format called M12 board lens.

That is what I usually do; replace plastic lens holder with metal one and plastic lens with glass/metal lens - provided I like the camera and it doesn't die in a couple of days after purchase...

You most likely can; at least all the cams I ever saw use the same lens format called M12 board lens.

Okay. I'll open it up this weekend and try to fix the focus issue.
It takes horrible still pictures so I'll take pictures and see how much difference it makes.
If it takes decent stills after that, it'll definitely take better video as well.

BTW, seller wanted me to return it to get a replacement but I told them to refund half and we call it a done deal and they agreed.
So, even if I mess it up, I only lose $5.

Now who can show me another $5 dascam? :)

Okay. I'll open it up this weekend and try to fix the focus issue.
It takes horrible still pictures so I'll take pictures and see how much difference it makes.
If it takes decent stills after that, it'll definitely take better video as well.

BTW, seller wanted me to return it to get a replacement but I told them to refund half and we call it a done deal and they agreed.
So, even if I mess it up, I only lose $5.

Now who can show me another $5 dascam? :)
Street vendors in China ;)
My dad saw one for around $5 USD that did true 240p and interpolated 360p+ o_O

Street vendors in China ;)
My dad saw one for around $5 USD that did true 240p and interpolated 360p+ o_O

Come on.
240p doesn't even count.

This one does 720p and video is not bad in the daytime.
I'm afraid I'll mess it up even more if I open it but WTH?

Here is a clip from today and can read plate of the front car even with somewhat dirty windshield and at +2/3 EV:

That noise in the beginning is from avi splitter program.
For some reason, it has that brief static noise on all split videos.

There's a circuit board right in front of the len. I can't even pull it out.

View attachment 5325

Same here.
I opened it up and took the board out but there is another board all the way in the case that won't budge even after taking all the screws out.
Adjusting lens is not an option in this one so I'll just use it as it is for now and for rear view once I get something better for the front.
It does have NT96220FG chip. Good deal for the price though.
Here are few pics:
Shiny 12 IR LED's look cool even if they don't work.

DSC00854-C600.jpg
DSC00858-C600.jpg

Last edited:
@Sunny, your focus problems are temp related - I have this model. Lens is the culprit, it in particular goes out of focus when hot. You may want to keep it though, the lens itself is very good as far as image quality goes.

You can disassemble this camera, if something inside doesn't budge then you probably haven't noticed a screw somewhere. It's easily taken apart.

I took 4 screws from the inner board and couldn't pull it out.
There were no more screws.
I'll try again.
If I succeed to take it out, do I have to put everything back together for each adjustment?

Nope, you can adjust a disassembled cam. Take still photos with it and watch on a large enough monitor to see if you got it focused or not, you only have to alternate between car charger and PC USB connections for this. Assemble when you have achieved the desired focus.

Okay took it out. just had to push on the LED's from front.
Now trying to take the glue off from the lens mount so I can twist.

20140609_122206.jpg

BTW, do your LED's come on at night?

Last edited:
Back