Overheating?

This camera sucks so bad. My first foray into dash cams and I chose this turd. My overheating issues are really making this thing a novelty item. I think I'm returning it and I guess waiting for the iroadx.
I would go ahead and try to get a refund and cut my losses. You can't even use the device without lowering the settings, parking away from the sun, and adding a heatsink. This is unacceptable for a dash cam that costs approx $500+ USD.

Good Luck!

I would go ahead and try to get a refund and cut my losses. You can't even use the device without lowering the settings, parking away from the sun, and adding a heatsink. This is unacceptable for a dash cam that costs approx $500+ USD.

Good Luck!
Iroad 9x ? What do you guys recommend? I might be able to live with it in regular 4k and time lapse during summer months, full tilt in the cooler months. I see nothing but headaches with WiFi connectivity with the Iroadx reviews. Blackvue has that working at least..

Reactions: RLS
Iroad 9x ? What do you guys recommend? I might be able to live with it in regular 4k and time lapse during summer months, full tilt in the cooler months. I see nothing but headaches with WiFi connectivity with the Iroadx reviews. Blackvue has that working at least..
I have the F800 Pro (Thanks to this forum, I found out about the Blackvue 900 overheating, and was able to cancel my order, and get the Thinkware instead.)

The high this summer in my region was 107F, and the interior temp of my vehicle has exceeded 180F.

Reactions: RLS
4k extreme, impact/motion:. 1 hour in, parked facing South staring right into sun. High of 92F today... So far so good but I doubt it will be able to stay on all day in these conditions, even with the heat sink. Brutal.

Edit: 1.5 hours in and it shut down. Hasn't come back since. Direct sun=too much.

I have tried heatsinks on the housing for my DR750S and the DR900S. It will just delay the shutdown, since ambient temps will still end up the same...

The best solution I had was:
- remove the dust filters in the vents of the body
- added a 540 heatsink + FAN combo.
- swapped fan to a silent 5V model
- directed fan on top of dashcam, pulling air up thru the unit.

I will look for the heatsink/fan combo setup. It’s somewhere lying around... I have long since removed the 750S and 900S from my cars lol. They can’t take the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the X9 and F800 Pro in a car of mine. Solid parking mode choices. I also have the Qvia QR790, which I think has potential to be my favorite due to the 1440p Starvis.

F800 Pro:
- video quality is average
- audio is really bad if you have a loud/bumpy car
- it has shutdown on a high 90Fs day. Black on black car, with 35% tint except front windshield. Used IR thermo; it was already overheated, temp at 183F.

X9:
- JDR format... can be hassle
- had to do a custom CPL cuz glare is pretty bad
- not many options for configuration (both good & bad)
- I haven’t figured out how to format memory card while in the unit, either through app or physical buttons LOLL.

Lol.. I see that. Looks like they shamelessly used my photo and put in a different background too. Hopefully Blackvue is paying attention. It's not rocket surgery.. first thing I thought of on day 1 of owning this thing is 'why in the hell would they not integrate fins in the case?'.
Hi there, sorry about that, we shared this with our marketing team as we thought the idea was brilliant.
However, our team was unaware they took the photo and posted this on our Facebook, it was wrong, I apologize on their behave.
We would definitely like to make this up to you, please check your inbox for more information!

@BlackboxMyCar I had called to inquire about this reported issue with one of your sales rep while making a decision (still) on which dash cam I should purchase as I live in Florida...he said “we haven’t gotten a single return on the DR900S unit due to overheating, shutdown issues.” -I doubt that
Yeah, I find that hard to believe as well. They advised me via live chat over 2 months ago that the Blackvue 900 had overheating issues, which led me to do more research and find this forum.

I just bought the 900 2Ch. My car is a 61 Buick Bubbletop...all glass and I live in a very hot part of the country (Australia). Even in winter it can get to 100F inside the car, in summer it will go over 160F. Only had it in car 2 days, will see how it goes. I do not run it in parking mode. Only when driving and I think I will turn wifi off

Honestly, I think I've had less than 5 (really maybe like 2 or 3) customers who had commented on the issue.

Ever since the firmware update released, I haven't heard a peep about it. (Except by users on here)

I think it's likely the sales rep probably just didn't have to deal with any themselves.

That being said, it was a known issue that any DR900S seller should know about - and be completely upfront about. (Which, it seems they're not trying to downplay it - since they're posting about fixes on their FB.)

@BlackboxMyCar I had called to inquire about this reported issue with one of your sales rep while making a decision (still) on which dash cam I should purchase as I live in Florida...he said “we haven’t gotten a single return on the DR900S unit due to overheating, shutdown issues.” -I doubt that

Hello there,

I am sorry about that, do you recall you who you were speaking to?
Definitely something we're not trying to hide as we've been helping our DR900S customers with heat issues on DCT and any inbound contact.
However, since the new firmware release, we haven't had any issues related to heat.

Ever since the firmware update released, I haven't heard a peep about it. (Except by users on here)

Are you referring to the firmware that added time lapse parking mode or was there some secret sauce in 1.005?

If I recall correctly, we heard they were working on it and then they released 1.003 (July). Which had no mention of overheating but improved garage wi-fi.
Then 1.004 (August) introduced time-lapse, which at the very least is a stable band-aid for the overheating though still no mention of overheating.
The latest, 1.005 is more about fleet related stuff.

So in my experience, outside of this forum, between July and August was the last time I had a customer mention it.
I don't believe we've had to actually replace one for this, I could believe we got some returns due to it but not everyone reaches out before returning.

61 Buick Bubbletop
o_O (y)

Good taste my man, Buick i have always found to be a unappreciated brand of cars, they have made quite a few cars i would like to own.

mine has never overheated in the UK as temperatures don't get so high.

On the flip side, temperatures dropped last night and my windscreen was frosted up this morning, except the gentle heat from the camera being on timelapse overnight kept a nice section of the screen clear for it to get some nice footage.

Watching timelapse is quite peaceful if anyone has noticed. Just watching the sky move by, or watching the windscreen frost slowly melt as the world rushes by.....

Wow! I just placed an order with a retailer for the dr750s 2-channel system and after seeing reviews on YouTube on the 900s I immediately tried to cancel my order for the dr750 and reorder the 900s. I'm glad I havent been able to cancel my 750 order which I'll be sticking to at this point. I also live in South Texas where the heat is blistering almost year round. I'd say a good 8-10 months out of the year we have 80-90 degree days and I cannot have a dash cam shut down on me. Especially one at this price. My opia 2 has never shut down in any temperature including 100+ degree days to where it's so hot that the camera housing is so hot it's untouchable. I love my opia 2, but a recent string of car burglaries at my office has me worried which is why I've decided to switch to a stealth like camera such as the blackvue. Plus, I've also been wanting a "high end" dual channel system. I would still consider the 900s if BV has fixed the overheating issue. Bummer....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 19
V DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 22
Back