Overheating?

Today was 88F, partly/mostly cloudy all day in Denver. I made some changes to firmware: time lapse activated for parking mode and I changed the resolution down from 4k extreme to just 4k. The other thing I did was to park facing north, so the sun wasn't directly on the camera, something I was doing anyway before so that isn't a change. It didn't overheat today. Prob mostly due to cloud cover. I did come home to find the heat sink here. It snapped onto the camera absolutely perfectly. It looks like it belongs on there. It is partially blocking the mic and GPS LED, however I can still see the blue light flashing in there between the fins. I think this might be a little help. I'll test tomorrow but for$10 it seems like you can't go wrong.

Attachments

• 20180911_194143.jpg
    20180911_194143.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 20180911_194149.jpg
    20180911_194149.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 20180911_194648.jpg
    20180911_194648.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: RLS
Today was 88F, partly/mostly cloudy all day in Denver. I made some changes to firmware: time lapse activated for parking mode and I changed the resolution down from 4k extreme to just 4k. The other thing I did was to park facing north, so the sun wasn't directly on the camera, something I was doing anyway before so that isn't a change. It didn't overheat today. Prob mostly due to cloud cover. I did come home to find the heat sink here. It snapped onto the camera absolutely perfectly. It looks like it belongs on there. It is partially blocking the mic and GPS LED, however I can still see the blue light flashing in there between the fins. I think this might be a little help. I'll test tomorrow but for$10 it seems like you can't go wrong.
What a terrible product! It is an absolute shame that you have to do all these things just to try to get your camera to function properly.

I really hope your modifications make this POS work for you. Good luck!

Last edited:
Well after my 30 minute drive to work, the camera is about 15F cooler than it was yesterday after the same drive. Heat sink is working. I'm carrying an infrared thermo with me. Camera body went from 120f down to 100-105f, nothing different except heat sink. Today will be the true test, high of 93 and sunny all day.

Last edited:
Well after my 30 minute drive to work, the camera is about 15F cooler than it was yesterday after the same drive. I'm carrying an infrared thermo with me. Camera body went from 120f down to 100-105f, nothing different except heat sink. Today will be the true test, high of 93 and sunny all day.

Would be interested to know the results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yesterday i was parked for a very long day. It was a high of 92F and full sun all day. I didn't get to the truck until 7pm so I didn't get a temp reading on the camera when it was at it's hottest. 4K (not extreme), time lapse mode, connected to hotspot all day and no shut down. I think the heat sink definitely helps. Today was equally as hot, again no shut downs.

Thanks for reporting back. That’s good news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@SlickMachine Were you still having issues with it overheating while using the new time-lapse feature, without the heatsink?

@SlickMachine Were you still having issues with it overheating while using the new time-lapse feature, without the heatsink?
Absolutely yes. Today I'm going to put it back to motion/sensor recording and see if it will go without an overheat. The only change I made from before the heatsink to after was changing the resolution from Extreme to regular 4k.

Parked truck again all day, super hot- 92F full sun. Switched parking mode back to motion/impact all day- no overheats, no shutdowns. I went out to check on it at 2pm and I made the mistake of touching the heat sink, burned my knuckle on it... As in I have a small blister burn. Without the heat sink, camera would have shut down within an hour in those conditions. It has overheated with much cooler and more favorable conditions without the heat sink. It works, without a doubt. Highly recommend it, even if you aren't experiencing overheat issues: it absolutely pulls heat out of the camera. $10 fix.

Parked truck again all day, super hot- 92F full sun. Switched parking mode back to motion/impact all day- no overheats, no shutdowns. I went out to check on it at 2pm and I made the mistake of touching the heat sink, burned my knuckle on it... As in I have a small blister burn. Without the heat sink, camera would have shut down within an hour in those conditions. It has overheated with much cooler and more favorable conditions without the heat sink. It works, without a doubt. Highly recommend it, even if you aren't experiencing overheat issues: it absolutely pulls heat out of the camera. $10 fix.
Now try Extreme 4K in full sun.

It looks like Blackboxmycar saw the post about the $10 heatsink. They posted about it on their facebook.
Lol.. I see that. Looks like they shamelessly used my photo and put in a different background too. Hopefully Blackvue is paying attention. It's not rocket surgery.. first thing I thought of on day 1 of owning this thing is 'why in the hell would they not integrate fins in the case?'.

Last edited:
Careful with mounting where the full sun hits the camera, for a heat sink is just a heat transferring device. If the sun warms the heat sink more than the camera does, the cam will become hotter. @SlickMachine kudos on an idea that both looks and works great at the same time. That doesn't happen often :cool:
@BlackboxMyCar if you are using someone else's pics, you should at least credit them, and even nicer would be a mention of the person whose idea it was ;)

Phil

Depending on you positioning, you can try reducing the number of zones that the motion/impact mode is monitoring. I got confirmation from BV that selecting less does reduce CPU usage, thus heat.

I've turned 25% (8) areas off since those interior areas of my car.

I'm running 50% of the zones up front, the same out back for reference. That I haven't changed since I set the camera up.

I was also using the tamper proof case but have since removed it. With temps cooling down it's affects may not be seen until next summer

Reactions: Tfp
4k extreme, impact/motion:. 1 hour in, parked facing South staring right into sun. High of 92F today... So far so good but I doubt it will be able to stay on all day in these conditions, even with the heat sink. Brutal.

Edit: 1.5 hours in and it shut down. Hasn't come back since. Direct sun=too much.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180915-110038_BlackVue.jpg
    Screenshot_20180915-110038_BlackVue.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
it was losing focus already so even at a lower resolution the temps at the camera would likely have been too hot by that stage anyway

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 19
V DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 22
Back