Overheating?

When summer hits my state, we will defintely know the situation with heat tolerance; I was told by dashcam provider that they put these cams in the oven to tolerance test them and we hit 45 degrees centigrade in the shade over here - ETA 3 months.

Please forgive my ignorance here but how are you guys telling if the camera has rebooted during parking mode? Are you just looking at the videos and seeing time gaps? Or is there a specific way to tell?

Thanks!

Why wouldn’t they?... is a brand new camera..
They do have the choise of returning or exchanging it.
I had my complains about the 900 2ch cam.. and here in this group.. I said they would fix it. ... some one replied... yeah.. with a new model. ... well... they have fixed it. ...
when you buy this new.. you have 2 options..
trust the brand... or return it.
Same thing happened with my 2017 Toyota Tacoma... guess what?.... they fixed it.
Blackvue has done... just that.

I have been following this issue, but I guess I missed the part where they fixed it?

Did Blackvue issue a new firmware specifically stating that they fixed the overheating issue? Did Blackvue issue a recall on all affected models? I have seen no such news.

Can you post a link to the official source stating that the issue was fixed?

Thanks!

For me it was with the audio queues I have enabled:

"Exiting parking mode" (or whatever the exact verbiage is) followed by "Restarting.... Begin normal recording" - this happened to me the first time I ran into the issue.

The second time it was something like "Exiting parking mode" and then I wanted to connect via local wifi to confirm that it had and was still recording. However there was no wifi signal and the wifi light wasn't turned on. I drove home (~5 minutes) and sat in the garage for another 5 minutes or so with the AC on and then heard "Begin normal recording". So the camera basically shutdown after it came out of parking mode and resumed recording after it cooled off.

I have been following this issue, but I guess I missed the part where they fixed it?

Did Blackvue issue a new firmware specifically stating that they fixed the overheating issue? Did Blackvue issue a recall on all affected models? I have seen no such news.

Thanks!

I think it's referring to the email from Blackvue you posted on page 3 about the less processor intensive strategy which is time lapse mode that they introduced in 1.004. I did try that the same day that the 2nd overheat incident occurred for me. I left it out in the sun for a longer period and the camera worked just fine. That being said, I park in my own garage at night, and having the camera waste pointless space recording ~12 hours of darkness seems kind of dumb.

I think it's referring to the email from Blackvue you posted on page 3 about the less processor intensive strategy which is time lapse mode that they introduced in 1.004. I did try that the same day that the 2nd overheat incident occurred for me. I left it out in the sun for a longer period and the camera worked just fine. That being said, I park in my own garage at night, and having the camera waste pointless space recording ~12 hours of darkness seems kind of dumb.

While I am glad they added a time lapse mode to their camera, which I personally prefer and use on my F800 Pro, I think it is unfortunate that one must use this mode in order for their camera to function properly.

Sadly any type of update/new feature will many times be used as Post-purchase rationalization even if they do not address/fix the problem.

I still am looking forward to a proper 4K dash cam to be released that does not overheat, and has great performance at night as well!

While I am glad they added a time lapse mode to their camera, which I personally prefer and use on my F800 Pro, I think it is unfortunate that one must use this mode in order for their camera to function properly.

Sadly any type of update/new feature will many times be used as Post-purchase rationalization even if they do not address/fix the problem.

I still am looking forward to a proper 4K dash cam to be released that does not overheat, and has great performance at night as well!

Do you park in public and that's why you use time lapse mode? As for a proper 4K dash cam... DR950S-2CH or DR900S-2CH Pro :ROFLMAO:

Do you park in public and that's why you use time lapse mode?

Yes, when not at home. I prefer to use time lapse to capture everything just in case. I have already been the victim of a hit and run while my vehicle was parked and I was inside a store. Time lapse + incident detection come in handy in these unfortunate situations.

As for a proper 4K dash cam... DR950S-2CH or DR900S-2CH Pro :ROFLMAO:
LOL! Nice one :D

Last edited:
Yes, when not at home. I prefer to use time lapse to capture everything just in case. I have already been the victim of a hit and run while my vehicle was parked and I was inside a store. Time lapse + incident detection come in handy in these unfortunate situations.

So that means a good chunk of your day's recordings is the darkness of your house's garage? Or is time lapse somewhat smart and it doesn't record that?

So that means a good chunk of your day's recordings is the darkness of your house's garage? Or is time lapse somewhat smart and it doesn't record that?
You can actually hold the power button to turn off the camera, and when you start your vehicle again, it will automatically power back on and it's back to business as usual. So basically just turn it off manually when you arrive home if you don't want to record your garage, and you don't have to worry about forgetting to turn it back on when you leave.

You can actually hold the power button to turn off the camera, and when you start your vehicle again, it will automatically power back on and it's back to business as usual. So basically just turn it off manually when you arrive home if you don't want to record your garage, and you don't have to worry about forgetting to turn it back on when you leave.

Are you using a battery or PMP to regulate the camera?

Are you using a battery or PMP to regulate the camera?

The F800 Pro has voltage regulation built in to the camera, just set the voltage cutoff in the app to whatever you want it to be, and the camera will take care of the regulation. No need to purchase a separate piece of hardware like the PMP.

The F800 Pro has voltage regulation built in to the camera, just set the voltage cutoff in the app to whatever you want it to be, and the camera will take care of the regulation. No need to purchase a separate piece of hardware like the PMP.

Gotcha. I thought you meant the DR900S had this.

Thanks!

Ah.. no. There is really nothing to fix really. Since from the time they released the camera. They stated that it has a lower heat tolerance.
I think it was around 160F. When in my neighborhood around summer time.. can get to 120F outside in the shade.. the temp inside my truck is well over 190F. And the cam stays on: so as far as I know. They fixed it.

Where is the power button? Only buttons I've seen are the WIFI and audio toggle.

Where is the power button? Only buttons I've seen are the WIFI and audio toggle.
I was referring to the Thinkware F800 Pro, sorry for the confusion! :D

First post. Installed the 900 a week ago. Parked at work, partly sunny and 82 in Denver.. after 1 hour it shut down because of overheat and it never started back up until I got in my car and fired it up. Completely and utterly useless. It's not even hot out. I measured the diameter of The camera body and discovered it was .9mm larger than that of a 540 RC car motor.... Which means there are endless heat sink options out there. I ordered one of these Black Type II Wrap Around Motor Heatsink https://www.amazon.com/gp/B015YRY0LS
Hopefully I can make it for and hopefully it makes a difference.

First post. Installed the 900 a week ago. Parked at work, partly sunny and 82 in Denver.. after 1 hour it shut down because of overheat and it never started back up until I got in my car and fired it up. Completely and utterly useless. It's not even hot out. I measured the diameter of The camera body and discovered it was .9mm larger than that of a 540 RC car motor.... Which means there are endless heat sink options out there. I ordered one of these Black Type II Wrap Around Motor Heatsink https://www.amazon.com/gp/B015YRY0LS
Hopefully I can make it for and hopefully it makes a difference.

This may work, altho usually more efficacious when metal heat sink is applied to metal surface +/- thermal paste (unfortunately our cam's housing is plastic).
Interested to hear of any improvements, plz let us know what you find.

It is possible to further vent more heat via method in Post #130 https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/overheating.34471/post-427216

Last edited:
Reactions: RLS
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 19
V DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 22
Back