Overlay telemetry

Builthard30

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for a way to use my dash cam footage and overlay telemetry data on the video footage.

I am trying to do it without having to pay out in expensive software or hardware such as GoPro.

Is there a way of overlaying OBD data onto my Thinkware footage so that I can have at the very least speed and rev count data?

Or if anyone has a different solution I’m open to ideas

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum Buildhard30.

If you mean overlay your track / path, like they can do on some action cameras, then no
There only is the things the camera can watermark on top such as speed and time/date and in some cases coordinates.

you could make a recording of dashcam footage playing the file/files, and then in post production crop the map part put and overlay that on the video.

Some have tried the OBD route to get info such as indicator use - brake use - gear - steering wheel angle - RPM and so on, BUT ! As OBD are not just OBD aside for the plug shape, then as cars speak different "languages" you will only get some of the things working with some cars / models.
Lukas have tried, and it is why they have a OBD compatibility list on their page,,,,,,, or use to have at least, i have not been there in years.

I like the OBD approach, but you will need to have a setup routine where you would teach the camera to understand your partikular cars OBD "language" or at least just the few "words" for things like indicate right / indicate Left - brake / dont brake ASO to get it all to work, but so far no one have made that.

Last edited:
How about using an OBD Head UP Display device on the dash so that the info gets recorded as part of the normal video?
No idea how well it would work, and you may need to remove the CPL from the dashcam!

You can get OBD loggers, shouldn't be too difficult to convert the logged data into sub-title format and then embed that in a video file, might need a little programming.

Back