Parking Lot Hit and Run Caught via Parking mode recording.

I think the guy just had a slushie or somthing else that have given him a massive brain freeze :rolleyes:

Is the old lady taking the shopping cart the perp's accomplice?
She was nearly the next victim. No way I'd have taken that risk.
I hope that guy was drunk. Otherwise it means he's like that all the time.
So many mistakes made. Starting when he left the car parked with the wheels turned.

Another great reason for having stealthy cameras. If this idiot doesn't mind smashing into cars, would he have a problem with breaking a window to get at the lovely, shiny camera hanging in the screen - just in case?
Around here, people are happy to set fire to speed cameras if they get caught, hoping that the fire will destroy the film before the firm removes it & sends it off to snappy snaps for processing!

Senior drivers. It's hard not to get angry over this stuff. Here in FL, every day there's an new "silver alert" - sometimes several per day - for drivers who get in the car, and get lost. Clearly too senile to still have keys, but no politician would ever dare SUGGEST - let alone actually pass - a law that would require age-related license testing. That would be age discrimination. Of course, it's perfectly ok to age discriminate when it comes to young drivers (no driving after dark, adult in the passenger seat, higher insurance, etc). But that block of drivers can't vote. Seniors have nothing but time to vote. It's political suicide to go against the AARP - and hence we have videos like this. Enjoy democracy

Waaaait. Did he actually have to squeeze past that trolley to get in the car? Was it maybe even his own trolley?
I wish we could see what happened earlier. This is so inexplicable without more info.

Senior drivers. It's hard not to get angry over this stuff. Here in FL, every day there's an new "silver alert" - sometimes several per day - for drivers who get in the car, and get lost. Clearly too senile to still have keys, but no politician would ever dare SUGGEST - let alone actually pass - a law that would require age-related license testing. That would be age discrimination. Of course, it's perfectly ok to age discriminate when it comes to young drivers (no driving after dark, adult in the passenger seat, higher insurance, etc). But that block of drivers can't vote. Seniors have nothing but time to vote. It's political suicide to go against the AARP - and hence we have videos like this. Enjoy democracy

It's the case that as we get older we are less alert, less sharp. However, we can compensate for this through more defensive, careful driving. This may be interpreted by other drivers as the older driver being as 'bit slow'; but they are simply compensating for their slower reactions times. It seems to be a strategy that works: the very large majority of accidents that one reads about are young drivers, under the age of 30-35. The insurance market is competitive; and sure as hell you'd find companies reducing premiums for young drivers if they weren't the risk they are. It's why premiums tend to decline for the older 40's. The facts speak for themselves.

And the last I checked on this, anybody over the age of majority is able to vote. Not bothering to get offside your backside and vote once every four or five years isn't much of a shinning endorsement of the constituency you appear to represent.

Last edited:
It's the case that as we get older we are less alert, less sharp. However, we can compensate for this through more defensive, careful driving. This may be interpreted by other drivers as the older driver being as 'bit slow'; but they are simply compensating for their slower reactions times. It seems to be a strategy that works: the very large majority of accidents that one reads about are young drivers, under the age of 30-35. The insurance market is competitive; and sure as hell you'd find companies reducing premiums for young drivers if they weren't the risk they are. It's why premiums tend to decline for the older 40's. The facts speak for themselves.

And the last I checked on this, anybody over the age of majority is able to vote. Not bothering to get offside your backside and vote once every four or five years isn't much of a shinning endorsement of the constituency you appear to represent.

The problem isn't being less alert, or less sharp. It's no longer being able to understand the difference between the brake and the gas pedal. Or cataracts so bad, they can't see more than one car length ahead of them. When pulling out onto a main road, they count three cars, and go. If it were just a matter of compensating for slower reflexes and lack of sharpness, I could see your point. Living in an area that undertakers call "god's waiting room", I can assure you it's not.

As for the insurance market being competitive, that's a separate issue, which I'd be happy to debate (I have extensive insider insight into incredible LACK of competition). That aside, what you find happening here is old people that CAUSE accidents, but blissfully go on their way having no clue they just caused a 5 car pile up (when they counted 3 and pulled into traffic). Because they move slowly, they usually don't actually get into the accidents. Of course, there's also no shortage of buildings that get new drive-thrus from seniors who 'mistake' the gas for the brake.

Lastly, voting: Retired seniors vote with incredible consistency - some estimates have their demographic at >90% Simply put, whatever issue their lobby supports, passes without resistance. No other demographic has such cohesion or unified voice. To require a simple test for senility/dementia/alzheimers doesn't seem overly burdensome. But it'll never happen because the AARP staunchly opposes it.

edited to add: And for the record, I've been receiving my AARP invitation/card every year for the last 5 years, have been retired equally as long, and have no issue calling a spade a spade. But thanks for assuming I'm in a different constituency.

Last edited:
I've some sympathy for that view, and I agree that there should be, as you describe, a simple test for the sorts of conditions you list. However, it remains the case that here in the UK the majority of dangerous driving and accidents involves the younger driver: and hell, I had my share of scrapes when younger!

I've some sympathy for that view, and I agree that there should be, as you describe, a simple test for the sorts of conditions you list. However, it remains the case that here in the UK the majority of dangerous driving and accidents involves the younger driver: and hell, I had my share of scrapes when younger!

As have I. Youth is wasted on the young, agreed. But, the fact remains, legislative restrictions are enforced on young drivers. If that's possible/legal, and not discriminatory, then having similar restrictions (or testing) at the other end of the range shouldn't be so difficult to implement. Going back to the video, watch the driver. He's a) old, b) confused, c) disoriented. It may be a medical condition, drugs, or other external influence. But I'd put money on some age-related deficiency that should severely restrict his ability to harm others.

I thought that old people in the UK had to take a test to carry on driving. But on checking, they only have to reapply for a (car) licence at 70 then again every three years.
Not sure what that actually achieves.

I thought that old people in the UK had to take a test to carry on driving. But on checking, they only have to reapply for a (car) licence at 70 then again every three years.
Not sure what that actually achieves.

Not a lot, would be the answer. At risk of undermining the thrust of argument (which I don't think it does), my father was driving up until six months of his passing (with a sudden-onset condition) aged 89. He had an immaculate driving record - no penalties and no accidents. However, in his later years, probably around 3 or 4 years before his passing, as a passenger in his car there was more than one occasion when he had me seriously concerned about his driving. That said, on occasion I could possibly say the same of my own (usually due to tiredness on long drives).

Last edited:
And that's the irony of the elderly driving dilemma. If you talk to seniors, most will agree that there should be some form of mandatory testing for age-related deficiencies. But, those same seniors, with those very same deficiencies will swear they're just fine to drive. It's a very difficult thing to tell an elderly parent to surrender the keys. They lose their independence, their sense of self-worth. For many, it's the beginning of the downhill slide. But the alternative is to ignore the risk they pose to everyone else. Imagine if the driver in the OP had attempted that while someone was walking between the cars? There have been numerous articles (locally) of people mowed down when granny puts it in reverse and hit the throttle. SUV ends up in a pond, or through a shoe store... It happens all the time. And yet, the AARP vehemently opposes ANY age-based testing. They see it as a slippery slope - which I understand. But, at some point, the cliche "think about the children" has to outweigh their argument.

My father never was a good driver, and it didn't get better when he got older. :)

He was in a minor fender bender with a car full of high school kids who apparently berated him badly enough on the side of the road he willingly stopped driving when it was over, turned in his license, parked his honda, forever.
He was more upset with the kids being rude to him than the accident.

And that's the irony of the elderly driving dilemma. If you talk to seniors, most will agree that there should be some form of mandatory testing for age-related deficiencies. But, those same seniors, with those very same deficiencies will swear they're just fine to drive. It's a very difficult thing to tell an elderly parent to surrender the keys. They lose their independence, their sense of self-worth. For many, it's the beginning of the downhill slide. But the alternative is to ignore the risk they pose to everyone else. Imagine if the driver in the OP had attempted that while someone was walking between the cars? There have been numerous articles (locally) of people mowed down when granny puts it in reverse and hit the throttle. SUV ends up in a pond, or through a shoe store... It happens all the time. And yet, the AARP vehemently opposes ANY age-based testing. They see it as a slippery slope - which I understand. But, at some point, the cliche "think about the children" has to outweigh their argument.
Now in Florida they can simply renew online without being tested. Not good :(

Back