Parking Mode Beta Firmware

@viofo

Why waste time and energy on something that compromises on the dashcam's main feature, which is normal recording. Even if you get the switching right, can you do something about the 5-7 second gap? If not, I think you should consider limiting Parking Mode to the 3 wire kit.

@viofo

Why waste time and energy on something that compromises on the dashcam's main feature, which is normal recording. Even if you get the switching right, can you do something about the 5-7 second gap? If not, I think you should consider limiting Parking Mode to the 3 wire kit.
I see your point, however not everyone is comfortable with hardwire kits and fuse taps. I have one but I've never used it as I don't really know what to do with it. Whilst this FW parking mode is not as simple and reliable as the hardwire version it does give people a choice, and makes parking mode available to those who shy away from messing around with cables.

I see your point, however not everyone is comfortable with hardwire kits and fuse taps. I have one but I've never used it as I don't really know what to do with it. Whilst this FW parking mode is not as simple and reliable as the hardwire version it does give people a choice, and makes parking mode available to those who shy away from messing around with cables.

Choice is fine but at what cost. If one weighs the pros and cons, just doesn't make sense. Assuming the switching can be perfected, gaps when taking off from traffic signals or backing out of parking spots is still a big deal.

Can't be on the fence (so to speak). On one hand you develop a kit that utilises ACC detection to reliably switch modes and on the other (just for the sake of options) you provide a version that's not as reliable and also compromises on the camera's core functionality.

Last edited:
Yes, the reliability is a major issue, and the gaps are not ideal. I understand from your testing that the gaps are longer when using dual cameras - I've only tested the front unit.

Whilst I like the idea of FW-based parking mode as it gives me flexibility on power options (12v socket & powerbank), if the gaps cannot be resolved I will probably go back to continuous recording for both driving and parked situations.

@viofo

I specifically chose this camera as it allows parking mode without being hard-wired. I would be very annoyed if this feature was removed. I'm sure Viofo will find the right balance.

The 6-7 second gap is an issue certainly, but as my unit comes out of parking mode as soon as I shut the car door (it seems to be quite sensitive) I am always well into regular recording mode by the time I pull away.

What concerns me slightly more is that there is also an approx 4-5 second gap between files when parked - so it pauses not just when going from parked to regular recording, but from parked file to parked file as well. I use time-lapse parking at 5fps which saves files every 12 minutes, but if this happens in low bitrate mode, then potentially you could lose 4-5 seconds of footage every 1-3 minutes.

What concerns me slightly more is that there is also an approx 4-5 second gap between files when parked - so it pauses not just when going from parked to regular recording, but from parked file to parked file as well. I use time-lapse parking at 5fps which saves files every 12 minutes, but if this happens in low bitrate mode, then potentially you could lose 4-5 seconds of footage every 1-3 minutes.
I had not noticed the gap between files when parked. I will check to see if mine does that.

The parking mode 2 wire has always been a bit flaky even with the old firmware. I would have time lapse change to full motion even when there was no reason to do so.

As long as you know the limitation its better to have something then nothing. Personally I moved to an always on scenario with a multi safer as my voltage cut off.

3 wire is the way to go if you can. I haven't had one problem with the initial batch of cables. I don't use the voltage cut off so that probably plays a role in why it's been flawless.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I've seen gaps only when switching to and fro between Parking Mode and normal recording, not seeing any between the low-bitrate Parking Mode files.

Had low-bitrate on and tried time-lapse later in the day, switching worked fine today.

I had not noticed the gap between files when parked. I will check to see if mine does that.

I forgot to mention that I'm using front and rear cams, so you may not encounter this issue if you're only using the front.

I forgot to mention that I'm using front and rear cams, so you may not encounter this issue if you're only using the front.
I'll check with and without the second camera. I have a front/rear setup, and will soon have a left/right side setup too.

I've seen gaps only when switching to and fro between Parking Mode and normal recording, not seeing any between the low-bitrate Parking Mode files.

Had low-bitrate on and tried time-lapse later in the day, switching worked fine today.

That's interesting. I've tried 2 different cards, just in case it's a speed issue while writing, but they both act the same. I haven't tried low bitrate so far.

Switching appears to be working fine for time-lapse mode. G-sensor detects that the car has moved and the camera switches back to normal recording.

I put this on today with a 2 wire hardwire kit I had spare, lets see how it works.

Nope, not fixed, kept recording in time-lapse for the rest of the trip.

Screenshot 2018-10-05 at 11.58.15 PM.png

@Bexx

Correct, there's 5 second gap between the time-lapse Parking Mode files.

Gap @ 02:00

2 wire or 3 wire isn't going to matter, there's a gap because the camera is taking 5 seconds to close the time-lapse file and start a new one.

@Bexx

Correct, there's 5 second gap between the time-lapse Parking Mode files.

Gap @ 02:00

2 wire or 3 wire isn't going to matter, there's a gap because the camera is taking 5 seconds to close the time-lapse file and start a new one.
Perhaps I'm not seeing the same gap because I'm recording 1min clips, not 3min?

Perhaps I'm not seeing the same gap because I'm recording 1min clips, not 3min?

I'll try 1min. Keeping in mind it's a dual-channel, it's probably a hardware limitation (processing power). Might not make much of a difference when parked but still a flaw.

Last edited:
If there's no gap with 1min files, irrespective of what the user chooses in the settings menu, firmware should set the file length duration to 1min.

I wish a manufacturer would add bluetooth so:
  • When I connect it goes into driving mode.
  • When I disconnect it goes into parked mode.
  • When I connect and the mode changes from parked to driving mode ignore impact detection until the camera detects non-impact acceleration or alternatively ignore impact detection for X seconds.

Back