Parking mode dual dash cam

Bonny

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

OK so after having my car keyed twice and causing thousands of pounds of damage, I am looking to buy a dual dash cam that will record if anyone comes near my car. I have read Up on it but it's way too confusing, I'm not vey technical sowill get it fitted properly. I've been told I need to have it hard wired.
I saw a package but it only came with 1 hardware set so do I need a second one?
My budget, inc fitting is around £400-£500.
Can anyone recommend one that will hopefully record whoever is keying my car?
It happened both times at night so I'm guessing this makes a difference.

Thanks a lot :)

Welcome to DCT forum @Bonny .
Sorry to hear about keying. Does those are made on sides of your car ( I guess ) ? Are you planning to install 2ch system in front + rear, or sides ?

You'd really need to have cameras running all the time, motion detection isn't reliable enough for night use, even if you see the person responsible you may not catch video of them damaging the car if its on the sides, something to keep in mind

Also, the place you parking your car, does it have some street lights nearby or its totally pitch black ?

Welcome to DCT forum @Bonny .
Sorry to hear about keying. Does those are made on sides of your car ( I guess ) ? Are you planning to install 2ch system in front + rear, or sides ?

Hi,
I'm really not sure if they need to go front and back or sides! I just need thenxar covered as much as possible whilst it's parked up for the night.
The car was keyed the first time on the bonnet and the second time all around. I think I know who it is but need proof.

You'd really need to have cameras running all the time, motion detection isn't reliable enough for night use, even if you see the person responsible you may not catch video of them damaging the car if its on the sides, something to keep in mind

Hey. Yes I'd like it to run all the time. Is that possible? So motion detector is no good at night? Do you know if there are any other options?
Thanks

Also, the place you parking your car, does it have some street lights nearby or its totally pitch black ?

The road Does have some street lights, it's quite a busy road.

Hey. Yes I'd like it to run all the time. Is that possible?

it is, it's hard on the camera and cards though, for shorter term until you catch the person is perhaps worth it though

So motion detector is no good at night?

can be less reliable

Do you know if there are any other options?

if it's your own property a security camera pointed at the vehicle can be a better option

Within your budget and possible requirements there are few options ( if you are looking for discrete install ):

1. 4 x Mobius ( capacitor ) × 128Gb memory cards + 2 external battery packs which need to be swapped daily.

2. 2 x SGZC12RC + 2 x 128GB + 2 external battery packs.

Mobius is not good for motion detection recording, but having 4x at constant recording would solve your situation

SGZC12RC at night under street lights has still good prw-buffer morion detection rec., but within your budget you can get only set of 2 ( front + rear )

if it's your own property a security camera pointed at the vehicle can be a better option
I agree with this. I would use IP cameras and run them through BlueIris.
I used to run my old TF2 all the time, but it was a hassle. I have since upgraded to a DLink and Foscam set up pointed at my car and this works a lot nicer.
If you don't own your place consider a temp mount like some 3M dual lock on the base of the camera.

it is, it's hard on the camera and cards though, for shorter term until you catch the person is perhaps worth it though

can be less reliable

I'm afraid it's a parking bay on a main road

can be less reliable

Within your budget and possible requirements there are few options ( if you are looking for discrete install ):

1. 4 x Mobius ( capacitor ) × 128Gb memory cards + 2 external battery packs which need to be swapped daily.

2. 2 x SGZC12RC + 2 x 128GB + 2 external battery packs.

Mobius is not good for motion detection recording, but having 4x at constant recording would solve your situation

SGZC12RC at night under street lights has still good prw-buffer morion detection rec., but within your budget you can get only set of 2 ( front + rear )

Thanks niko, I shall look into those options today. So regarding to
He two batteries is It one battery on and one off as so to charge?

I agree with this. I would use IP cameras and run them through BlueIris.
I used to run my old TF2 all the time, but it was a hassle. I have since upgraded to a DLink and Foscam set up pointed at my car and this works a lot nicer.
If you don't own your place consider a temp mount like some 3M dual lock on the base of the camera.
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, what is a BlueIris, a DLink and. Foscam? I literally have no idea at all. The car is parked in a long bay on a main road about 50 yards from my window. Depending on what space is left It is sometimes parked out of site from my window.

Sounds like someone there feels they're more entitled to a parking space than you are, anyone else been keyed that you're aware of?
I think I know who it is, I've a very good idea it's a nasty neighbour but can't prove it. Nobody else has had any damage done to their cars either. My old car was fine parked there for 3 years, it's just since upgrading the car. I'd had the car just 3 weeks when it first got damaged then 2 weeks again after that. I don't mind spending a bit more for something more reliable, it's costing me 5k to put car right, but I'm not technical and have no idea what I should be looking at. I don't know what's wrong with people!

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, what is a BlueIris
A PC program that lets you record what your IP camera sees to your computer hard drive.
http://blueirissoftware.com/

a DLink and. Foscam?
They are two models of IP cameras. You plug them in add them to your wireless network and then you use BlueIris to monitor and record what they see.
The Foscam ones can even move around. The DLink one stays where you place it.
Foscam on Amazon
V0k5Nfg.png

Sorry just realized you were in the UK
Here is a Foscam on Amazon UK

I use a PTZ camera on my car in the yard where i park my car, i do that cuz its not allways i can park in the same spot, and i am zoomed in pretty close to make sure i get a good headshot of a vandal ( since i moved here i had 3 counts of vandalisem against my car ) in the other town where i use to live ( 2 largest in DK ) i never had any vandalisem on a car of mine.
And i am forced to act myself as police here have no time for such minor things, so if anything happen i have to do a Judge Dredd on the poor SOB :mad:

With the PTZ camera i can just allign my car in the footage when i get up into my apartment, and my camera is mounted to my balcony door with 2 self tapping screws.
The 2 wires for the camera ( network and 12 V power ) just go thru the door and its rubber seal, not ideal but i never open that door, so i think it will be allright, worked for over a year now.

Are those foscam cameras okay with use outside ?

If bonny have a front yard of sorts then he might be able to plant a wildlife camera out there, but you will still need to park more or less in the same spot then.

A little demo of my IP camera doing a programmed partol of the area behind my apartment, and this is in pitch black conditions.

If you have a second car, park it in the front or back of yours. You will use only one camera.
But I consider a FullHD IP camera with PTZ the best solution.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back