Parking mode - good enough?

DashCam11

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a Viofo and it had a few options for parking mode with a hardwired kit in, one being low bitrate so recorded constantly. Worked fine never had a problem.

I’ve now moved on from that car, and thinking of getting a Nextbase. However it seems on all the parking modes that is just a G sensor record with a hardwire kit. Are these any good?

I kept away from this type last time, as read that by the time it starts to walked up, record etc after a detection it misses the event.

So what is the Nextbase parking mode like as is important to me. This will be with a hardware kit. Does it use both front and rear (wired) to record? Is it fast enough to wake and record the actual event.

Thanks

Hi there, you’ve asked a number of questions here, so I’ll try any give you my opinion.
Firstly I must say I do not use the park mode, and I’ve yet to see a clip of the usefulness of the parking mode. For instance, what will it see at night after contact, with the headlights of the offending car shining directly towards the camera etc. Neither do I use the Bluetooth or Alexa features.
Your questions.
Hard wiring is fine providing that it is done correctly. There are a couple of current threads about this very subject on going.
Front cameras are wired into the vehicles electrics and the rear camera is piggy backed from the front camera, via the 6m extension cable.. If you go for the “cabin camera”. That whole unit simply plugs into the front camera where the wiring for the rear camera would go. Your final question, I would say no. As it is the contact that wakes the camera up. So you will only ever get the aftermath of an impact. The god dam awful design of the rear camera
(magnetic golf ball) could well on rear impact, not record anything meaningful at all because it will have dislodged and moved, which is common when just closing the boot lit/ tail gate. There are a number of diy fixes to help prevent this movement.
The above said, I’ve used the 522GW with rear cam for the past 4 years and been very happy with no major issues and only minor complaints, ( usually for having failed to read the instruction book fully or correctly) bar the design of the rear cam. Generally I found it a good bit of kit (I upgraded from the 512 GW). It has served me well , both have.
There are a number of UTube videos “Nextbase parking mode”

Back