Parking mode with good night vision.

kevinbm

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, someone in my neighborhood has been messing with my cars. Ive found grease, and liquids spilled on my trunk, and have also gotten one deeply keyed front to back. I live in apartments with packed street parking so a dashcam is the only way to monitor my cars.
I bought a Crosstour Cr900 and hardwired it only to realize it was a POS with toaster video quality that kept freezing up on me.
Anyway, I'm looking for a dual channel dashcam with good parking mode and night vision. I will be mounting the rear camera to get a good viewing angle of the driver side windows and a part of the rear window. I also live in SoCal so it's gotta handle the heat well (willing to buy a rearview mirror mount to help with the heat over sticking it to the windshield).
I've been looking at the VIOFO A129, Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO, and BlackVue DR590W.
I am willing to spend max $300ish per dashcam.. as I will be buying one for each of my 2 vehicles but open to saving as much money as possible lol.
Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

As long as you have a street light near where you park, and the ones messing with you car are walking up to it to do their evil deed you stand a good chance with one of today's good cameras.
ATM the best low light performing cameras are based on the Sony IMX 291 sensor.

For parking mode I think time-lapse is your best bet as it misses nothing and uses less card space than continuous recording. Other parking modes may not trigger on an event like 'keying', leaving you with nothing to see but the damage done. SG does make some great cams with better than usual functionality and video quality. The Viofo A129 Duo does great at night and is well worth considering. Modified firmware can enhance it's performance. You will need some light no natter which cam you choose- no regular cam can record in total darkness. At apartments this can usually be arranged unless all parking spaces are assigned and your's doesn't have lighting nearby. It may be a bit inconvenient parking farther from your door but if it saves you problems it's worth it. The Thinkware and BlackVue cams don't do as well at night and IMHO are very over-priced for what they offer, but they are not bad cams. The Mini 0906 is the cheapest I'd use but of late it seems to have had some QC issues, and again is lesser at night. I'd recommend one of the two cams I first mentioned (SG and the A129) as best suiting your needs.

Phil

Thank you all for your info!
I went with the VIOFO. Currently installing.

Back