Patience With Farm Vehicles

• Thread starter Deleted member 64174
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 64174

A bit in the distance but you will get the gist of the issue. Too many accidents every year from folks in a car not being patient around a farm vehicle.

You gotta remember these are just simple farmers, these are people of the land, the common clay of the new west,,,,,, you know,,,,,,,, good folks that feed you.

You gotta remember these are just simple farmers, these are people of the land, the common clay of the new west,,,,,, you know,,,,,,,, good folks that feed you.

Yes they are. If not for them we would all be hungry, or at least forced to put a garden in our yards and marry a woman that knows how to can vegetables. Having a garden is pretty tough to do when you live in a high rise or a large city. These farmers seldom ever travel more than a few miles on a road so the delay is only a few minutes for most drivers.

Farming is quite complex these days!

The problem is that they are used to driving around fields all day, and fields have different driving rules, so you have to expect them to not always follow the rules of the road. Especially since it is always the car that loses the battle!

Farming is quite complex these days!

The problem is that they are used to driving around fields all day, and fields have different driving rules, so you have to expect them to not always follow the rules of the road. Especially since it is always the car that loses the battle!

I live in a rural area, literally surrounded by hay fields, corn fields, dairy farms, beef and sheep producers and CSA farmers. One of my close neighbors has a large commercial hemp farm and produces CBD products and more recently has become a licensed cannabis producer. These guys all work their butts off. The men and women who hay the fields across the road from me start out at 6 AM and work until well after dark to get the hay in when the conditions are just right sometimes on the hottest days of the year.

I know these people, some of them are friends of mine. They would be pissed to hear your demeaning and elitist attitude towards farmers where you accuse them of not following the rules of the road. Have you ever driven a large commercial tractor or other farm equipment? I have and driving such machinery on a typical roadway is not exactly easy. Around here at least, we don't see it as a "battle" between cars and farm equipment; it's a matter of common sense, courtesy and a little patience when farmers and passenger vehicles encounter each other on our roads, often accompanied by a friendly wave back and forth when you get to a spot on the road where you can pass or they get to a spot where they can pull over to let you pass.

Last edited:
Here you are supposed to pull over if you are slow moving and so generating a que behind you, and yes some times i also think the tractor or what ever should have done that sooner than they did.
But its no problem.

25 - 30 years ago, younger me would have been furious and have done something stupid, but that was generally the name of the game for me back then.
Clearly today other suffer from the same decease i had back then.

I salute everyone that make my life easier,,,,,,, beside politicians that is, CUZ they always do it the wrong way.

Here you are supposed to pull over if you are slow moving and so generating a que behind you, and yes some times i also think the tractor or what ever should have done that sooner than they did.
But its no problem.

25 - 30 years ago, younger me would have been furious and have done something stupid, but that was generally the name of the game for me back then.
Clearly today other suffer from the same decease i had back then.

I salute everyone that make my life easier,,,,,,, beside politicians that is, CUZ they always do it the wrong way.

Here, the farmers will pull over as well and let traffic pass. Regarding this video; either side of the road has short shoulder space and deep drop offs so the tractor really can not get over far at all. This tractor, for where it was probably was only on public road for maybe a mile. Travel speed probably 40 mile per hour. Minimal speed on the road is 45 mile per hour. The driver of the vehicle was simply impatient and attempted a pass in a double yellow line ( illegal ) and on a small hill.

Sometimes they have to bring the huge combines down the road and pull the large tillers and what ever. Everyone is squeezing the road shoulders then. I have see a few roadside mailboxes taken out. Part of the rural life. :)

Hehe yes you can not pull over into nothing, you also see tractors here with double rear wheels, even if i think thats actually illegal to do on the road.
Combines are also massive, i had the pleasure to drive a few in my job on some ferries where we some times had brand new agricultural machines on board, so we had to drive them on / off the ferry.
Its like driving a big ass forklift,,,,,, something i am also certified to operate, but i already drove those when i was 16 in my first job, and of course i also damn near put one on its side turning too fast.

In general the max with for trucks here are 2.55 M and 2.6 M for reefers, a combine or a tractor with dual rear wheels easy beat that i think, of course talking modern tractors here, not the old little ones we got after the war in Marshall aid.

Danish highways have markers every 100 M, these 3 foot tall plastic poles are often cut down,,,,, by something.
you can also some times see a old stone mile / kilometer marker from the way back old days, but they are damn rare nowadays.

iu

New and old meeting 100 KM from ???? some towm i assume.
iu

iu

Some of the old stones still standing was put up in the late 1600 by a famous son of Denmark https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ole_Rømer

Ah...those stone road markers are interesting looking. I am sure there is a nice history behind them. In the U.S. the States use a
simple metal stake with a sign on it marking the distance.

Ah...those stone road markers are interesting looking. I am sure there is a nice history behind them. In the U.S. the States use a
simple metal stake with a sign on it marking the distance.

The original US mile markers were made of stone going back to the colonial period and for quite some time after that. Some still exist.

marker_b.jpeg

marker_a.jpeg

I like the old stuff, most of the ones i posted above are also of newer date, as it can be seen with monograms and lions, i think the royal family still have some put up in their honor.
The bottom one ( me not being a royalist ) i think carry the monogram of our crown prince that will take over when his mother kick the bucket.

The oldest markers here are like rune stones you can barely read what are on them, CUZ some roads here date way back to before a French guy came up here and taught us how to do proper strait and wide paved roads instead of the winding dirt roads we had.
So this is back in the mayflower days ( 1620 as i recall ) or even earlier.

Many roads here are named " Old " something, so this could be old kings road ( which i just passed by on my drive today ) they are some times listed as "GL" kongevej which is short for old kingsroad,,,,, but google navigation still say GL kongevej.
I suppose i should tell google GL in Danish road names mean gammel / old, so they can get their stuff in order

I am sure in the US navigating by google it will not say turn right onto main "str" as it probably know str are short for street.

The stone with the 3 lions on, that is the Danish royal families crest, it is 3 blue lions with red tongues on a golden background with 9 red hearts, it have been used more or less in this form as far bask as King Cnute the 6 in 1190
800px-National_Coat_of_arms_of_Denmark.svg.png

I have a sneaky feeling that stone indicate that there are 100 Km to the Danish capitol.

The oldest markers here are like rune stones you can barely read what are on them, CUZ some roads here date way back to before a French guy came up here and taught us how to do proper strait and wide paved roads instead of the winding dirt roads we had.
So this is back in the mayflower days ( 1620 as i recall ) or even earlier.
So the old ones are on what you now consider the wrong side of the road?

Here, the straight roads have nothing to do with the left handed French guy, he never came here, instead they were built by the Romans, so if you find yourself on a straight piece of road, it was quite likely built when years only had two digits, or soon after!

The problem with Roman milestones is that most people can't read them, and never could- they are written in Latin!

IMG_0269-2-scaled.jpg

Last edited:
Wed dont have those Roman markers as our later to be enemies in the south, took care of them so they did not get up here.
But yeah those will be even earlier.

Many roads here are named " Old " something, so this could be old kings road

We have many roads named "Old" too. Many originally date back to the colonial and pre-colonial days even if they are now paved modern roads. Some of these old roads were originally trails created and used by Native Americans that were later developed into roads by European settlers. We also have hundreds of what are called "ghost roads" which are ancient roads that are no longer in use and haven't been in several hundred years. Officially they are called “Class 4 Town Highways or Legal Trails" and they are fascinating. If I hike a couple of hundred yards up from my house you come to an old road deep in the woods that you can walk along for several miles. You'll find old stone foundations and artifacts from homesteads that were there before the revolutionary war. There are some old cemeteries where the headstones are nothing more than rocks placed in the ground.

There are still mile markers from the colonial period as well. Some of them were there to mark the distances between post offices in New England as postal rates were charged by mileage.

colonial_marker_a.jpg colonial_2.jpg

colonial_mile_marker_c.jpg

We have many roads named "Old" too. Many originally date back to the colonial and pre-colonial days even if they are now paved modern roads. Some of these old roads were originally trails created and used by Native Americans that were later developed into roads by European settlers. We also have hundreds of what are called "ghost roads" which are ancient roads that are no longer in use and haven't been in several hundred years. Officially they are called “Class 4 Town Highways or Legal Trails" and they are fascinating. If I hike a couple of hundred yards up from my house you come to an old road deep in the woods that you can walk along for several miles. You'll find old stone foundations and artifacts from homesteads that were there before the revolutionary war. There are some old cemeteries where the headstones are nothing more than rocks placed in the ground.

There are still mile markers from the colonial period as well. Some of them were there to mark the distances between post offices in New England as postal rates were charged by mileage.

View attachment 62643 View attachment 62644

View attachment 62645

One of the first things I discovered when I moved to the east coast where churches with cemetery's on the property. Never saw that west of the Mississippi river. It was always real interesting to walk an old cemetery and look at a family's history.

I found one cemetery from the 1700's, and all the family members were lined up in a row. Women were tough in those days. This lady lost two children as infants, two more
before they were 18 and, the other 4 lived a number of year. Hard times...very hard times.

Nice! In all my years in the south and on the east coast I have yet to find a stone mile marker. All I ever seem to find are the later dated metal ones. :(

Yeah, I live in New England where these things were probably more common, although I don't know why that is. You'll notice that many of the examples I found refer to Boston, although the second photo in my post you quote refers to Triadelphia and Wheeling which are in West Virginia.

One of the first things I discovered when I moved to the east coast where churches with cemetery's on the property. Never saw that west of the Mississippi river. It was always real interesting to walk an old cemetery and look at a family's history.

I found one cemetery from the 1700's, and all the family members were lined up in a row. Women were tough in those days. This lady lost two children as infants, two more
before they were 18 and, the other 4 lived a number of year. Hard times...very hard times.

Where I live there are small ancient colonial and pre-colonial cemeteries scattered all over the place. Many are next to churches but out in the countryside where I live they are along roadsides and out in the woods. It's absolutely fascinating to visit some of these sites. In many of these cemeteries you can see the chronology of the burials with the oldest graves at one end progressing towards more recent ones as time went by. There is one old graveyard within walking distance of my house where there are graves that date from the late 1600s on one end going up to about the time of the Civil War on the other. The graveyard is surrounded by a beautiful old cast iron fence and gate with old stonework covered with moss. You have to hike about 100 feet off the side of the road to visit the place and it feels like you've stepped into another time when you get there.

Speaking of feeling like you've stepped into another time, there is also a very ancient cemetery deep in the woods not far from my house where only those who know how to get there can visit. It's one of the places where the gravestones are nothing more than unmarked stones not far from a settlement that disappeared long ago except for a few stone foundation cellar holes. Little is known about the original inhabitants. It's called the Burrows Plain Cemetery and someone once put up a sign that has since fallen off its post.

Burrows Plain Cemetery 3.jpeg

Burrows Plain Cemetery 1.jpeg

Last edited:
Those are small stones!

This is 3500 BC:
1920px-PentreIfanH4a.jpg

Have you ever driven a large commercial tractor or other farm equipment?

It doesn't need to be large to be difficult to drive, I've driven one of these:
Corn_harvesting_-_geograph.org.uk_-_975983.jpg

There is a large cemetery here, but by now i think less then 10 % of the plots are in use
The place are called østre kirkegård, which mean eastern cemetery.

you can easy see how empty it is from the google eye in the sky.

It seem like Danes do not get put in the ground anymore.

Back