Patience With Farm Vehicles

• Thread starter Deleted member 64174
  • Start date
Those are small stones!

Well Nigel, they are unmarked headstones in a very old and primitive early colonial graveyard, not massive pre-historic Stonehenge-like monuments in Britain. What is your point in comparing the two?

Last edited:
It doesn't need to be large to be difficult to drive, I've driven one of these:

Your original argument Nigel was to criticize people driving farm equipment on roadways claiming they "don't follow the rules of the road", which can be difficult when driving any kind of agricultural equipment. Now you are stating that it is difficult to drive any size farm machinery. So, again, what is your point?

Size does matter though. I once worked on a cattle ranch in Casper, Wyoming where my job was to drag enormous irrigation pipes across a 1000 acre alpha field driving a huge John Deere tractor, hook the pipes up to a pumping station at an irrigation ditch and open the valves. Next day, I'd show up again in my tractor and drag the pipes back in the other direction and spend the day doing the same thing. The drive back to the ranch complex in that tractor on the local rural highway was always quite a challenge. People would drive too fast out there where there are no speed limits but they were accustomed to encountering farm equipment so they were patient when they'd come across a large slow moving machine.

Where I live there are small ancient colonial and pre-colonial cemeteries scattered all over the place. Many are next to churches but out in the countryside where I live they are along roadsides and out in the woods. It's absolutely facilitating to visit some of these sites. In many of these cemeteries you can see the chronology of the burials with the oldest graves at one end progressing towards more recent ones as time went by. There is one old graveyard within walking distance of my house where there are graves that date from the late 1600s on one end going up to the Civil War on the other. The graveyard is surrounded by a beautiful old cast iron fence and gate with old stonework covered with moss. You have to hike about 100 feet off the side of the road to visit the place and it feels like you've stepped into another time when you get there.

Speaking of feeling like you've stepped into another time, there is also a very ancient cemetery deep in the woods not far from my house where only those who know how to get there can visit. It's one of the places where the gravestones are nothing more than unmarked stones not far from a settlement that disappeared long ago except for a few stone foundations. Little is known about the original inhabitants. It's called the Burrows Plain Cemetery and someone once put up a sign that has since fallen off its post.

View attachment 62648

View attachment 62647

Man, that is interesting. Did the settlers etch anything on the rocks? I would not be surprised if someone with a metal detector has not worked the area. I know here in Virginia, metal detectors will show up knocking on your door asking to detect. Even in the city they will do this. So much of Virginia was a battle ground that it is not uncommon to find relics from the past.

There is a large cemetery here, but by now i think less then 10 % of the plots are in use
The place are called østre kirkegård, which mean eastern cemetery.

you can easy see how empty it is from the google eye in the sky.

It seem like Danes do not get put in the ground anymore.

That is a large cemetery for sure. Maybe people are opting for cremation more than burial. I know here in Virginia cremation is big and now, there are cemetery's that do natural burials. They put the body in a shroud and maybe a basket and then bury them. No preserving, no casket. I think a few of the cemetery's bury like 4 or so people on top of each other to save space.

I seen that one, it say Stonehenge. 2 days of walking in this direction ( to the right ) :)
Actually, that is a few miles from where the Stonehenge bluestones where quarried, not far from me, but about 300Km away from Stonehenge, so a lot more than 2 days walk, especially if carrying some very large stones!

so they were patient when they'd come across a large slow moving machine.
Tractors using the roads around here don't seem to be particularly slow moving, most of the ones I encounter seem to be using the 40 mph (65 km/h) speed limit.

Some our tractors are quite fast, this JCB is capable of 150MPH with a few modifications:

Man, that is interesting. Did the settlers etch anything on the rocks? I would not be surprised if someone with a metal detector has not worked the area. I know here in Virginia, metal detectors will show up knocking on your door asking to detect. Even in the city they will do this. So much of Virginia was a battle ground that it is not uncommon to find relics from the past.

No, there are no markings on the headstones. They are apparently random field stones that were simply used to mark the graves. Nobody really knows how old this settlement was but it seems to pre-date anything else around here from colonial times.

I am not aware of anyone combing the area with metal detectors but it wouldn't surprise me if someone has done that. Many of the old colonial era cellar hole foundations you'll find in the woods have artifacts lying around such as broken pottery and china or wrought iron objects and parts of old tools. Burrows Plain is pretty barren. Whenever I've visited there, usually with a small group of fellow hikers, everyone gets very quiet and then conversations are muted. The place has a unique energy, as if you are on hallowed ground.

Edit: There is some speculation that the graveyard and disappearance of the settlement may have had to do with a disease that wiped them out, or a massacre by indigenous Americans. (Abenaki)

Last edited:
Tractors using the roads around here don't seem to be particularly slow moving, most of the ones I encounter seem to be using the 40 mph (65 km/h) speed limit.

Some our tractors are quite fast, this JCB is capable of 150MPH with a few modifications:

This video has literally nothing to do with what we have been talking about but based on your posts here, like conflating the size of pre-historic British stone monuments with pre-colonial unmarked cemetery headstones in northern New England, this seems to be your thing. :rolleyes:

That is a large cemetery for sure. Maybe people are opting for cremation more than burial. I know here in Virginia cremation is big and now, there are cemetery's that do natural burials. They put the body in a shroud and maybe a basket and then bury them. No preserving, no casket. I think a few of the cemetery's bury like 4 or so people on top of each other to save space.

There is a woman in my area who specializes in making custom woven willow caskets and urns. There was a fascinating interview with her in the local paper about how she came to her career and the amount of work, time and craft that goes into her creations.

Here there s a 30 kmh cap on farm or construction equipment, in turn these do not need a license plate just a red reflective triangle.
And most funny these farm vehicles can be operated by a minor with no license just fine, i think they just need to be 16 of age.

Speaking of caskets, yesterday i saw a video from a funeral, the bottom fell out of the casket,,,, and so did the deceased.
I think thats about the biggest funeral failure you can have.

Here there s a 30 kmh cap on farm or construction equipment, in turn these do not need a license plate just a red reflective triangle.
And most funny these farm vehicles can be operated by a minor with no license just fine, i think they just need to be 16 of age.
We have several categories of tractor with different limits. If it is not built for road use and doesn't have all wheel suspension, horn, speedometer etc. then it is limited to 40Km/h, or less if it is too wide. But these days many, maybe most, tractors are used on multiple farms, often quite a distance apart, so they buy ones that are built for road use and have a 65 Km/h limit. 16 year olds used to be able to drive without a license, but that changed a few years ago, you now need a tractor license, which if you don't have a car license, requires a very basic test - examiner watches from the side of the road and checks your eyesight.

Speaking of caskets, yesterday i saw a video from a funeral, the bottom fell out of the casket,,,, and so did the deceased.
I think thats about the biggest funeral failure you can have.
Wouldn't happen with a wicker coffin!

Same here, we have rules for rules, though there seem to be no rules for the ones that make the rules.
At least in regard to the Danish PM braking the constitution here during corona, no trial for her.
But a MP ( not on the PMs side ) that might have misused funds,,,, he is now standing trial with all other MPs revoking his immunity like that ( me snap finger )

It seem that the Danish state also seen their own inkompetence in regard to IT, as some weeks ago a digital service crucial to Danish society failed for a long time.
And now they found out that the makers / host of this service not done failure drills or have any kind of respons to a failure.
Pretty much anything that needed a person here to identify itslef did not work for a couple of days.

So now it seem like we will need a minister for IT, though and of course no matter what happen that minister can not be blamed for anything.

Many big mobile cranes can not do the motorways as they can not keep up to the minimum speed there, though the are some ways around that, for instance transport of huge wind turbine parts, but they are then forced to only drive on permits at night when the traffic are at its lowest.

Many big mobile cranes can not do the motorways as they can not keep up to the minimum speed there, though the are some ways around that, for instance transport of huge wind turbine parts, but they are then forced to only drive on permits at night when the traffic are at its lowest.
Oversized loads generally do not move at night here, there were too many accidents due to people not understanding what they were seeing. Don't think there is a complete ban, but wind turbine parts nearly always travel during daylight. Although we don't often put wind turbines on the roads now, this is easier for farming the best wind:
1669551903929.png

Still some transport here from various factories to the shipping port in Esbjerg.

Actually driving around in Jutland, you will find many a round about or intersection have been modified to accommodate these huge transports.

Here will probably also need to be some on land issues, CUZ all the old land based turbines here, well the plan is to replace them with larger ones, though of course not in a 1:1 scale.
Needless to say people that live close to the small turbines are not happy about that.
And so i think this is where we need politicians to step in, and do what common people can not do them self,,,,,,,, though i doubt that will happen, it would be a rare thing if that happen.
Then again not that many live right next to wind turbines so it will not be that many voters a political party will burn, so with the after all big focus on going green here from both people and politicians, it will probably happen.

They ( politicians ) also need to do something about the law on this area CUZ are a mess.
For instance:
Not far from where i live a little town have a little industrial area, all the companies there have talked, and agreed on putting solar cells on all of their roofs.
BUT ! Due to the law they can not do that,,,,,,, which is just insane when you beat your chest being / thinking you are all that green.

In many way i feel Denmark are like Russia and China, just in a far more complex way so no one can see thru the BS.
Same when we always top the least corrupt nations rankings,,,,, thats just BS we just have many other names for it, and do it just fine.

Last edited:
Still some transport here from various factories to the shipping port in Esbjerg.

Actually driving around in Jutland, you will find many a round about or intersection have been modified to accommodate these huge transports.
We build the factories in the ports, problem solved!

1669557679151.png

Thats a new concept here, but we are sort of doing that with the tunnel to Germany, that require pretty significant sized tunnel elements.

I think one of the issues here was that we started long ago when a 500 Kw turbine was like OMG huge, when no one talked about off shore turbines, so the factories got established in industrial areas here and there.

In Randers where i live there use to be the main NEG micron factory, at one time the #2 maker of turbines here, but the only thing left now are their one " billboard" turbine next to the motorway, and on it it say Vestas now.
The production buildings look to be housing something called Makeen energy now

They are well under way with the tunnel down there.

Last edited:
I think one of the issues here was that we started long ago when a 500 Kw turbine was like OMG huge, when no one talked about off shore turbines, so the factories got established in industrial areas here and there.
We never built any decent factories for those, got the Danes to build them all for us! When the big offshore ones arrived we used the UK North Sea oil and gas facilities that were already at the ports, plus some Norwegian oil+gas facilities, and some UK ex-shipyards which also had easy access to deep water on the east coast. Now with the floating ones in the Celtic sea (off the south west coast), with 20 GW planned, we are converting some of the South Wales ports for construction, I think there are three ports now being developed with new facilities, and they have a lot of space, quayside and housing, because they were built for the coal and steel industries. In the early age of steam, South Wales had the busiest ports in the world, exporting steam coal around the world.

They are well under way with the tunnel down there.
I watched that yesterday, still wondering how they are going to keep the water out!

I am wondering that there do not seem to be any latch that get put on / tightened once 2 elements have sucked each other close with that vacuum explained in the video.
Mind you these elements are huge and heavy, and i assume in the ends they will butt up to something, so they should not be able to wiggle apart, even if Denmark get a record earthquake of 3 Richter.

Also the guy say the Danes will not have to pay for the 7 billion bill,,,,, so where do he think money come from ? aside for tax the only revenue the Danish state have are a little oil and gas in the north sea,,,, and i very much doubt that they have saved up for this.
So we Danes will get to pay.
And the price will be over 7 billion USD.
And the tunnel will not be done before 2030 or later.

If everything go to plan or just somewhat to plan,,,,, it will be the first time that happened with any large construction project here.

They will be held in place by being buried, so they will become part of the seabed. Unless there is a geological fault line across the tunnel then there won't be a problem. It is the seals that worry me, probably good for 50-100 years, but then how do you replace them?
Also the guy say the Danes will not have to pay for the 7.5 billion bill,,,,, so where do he thing money come from ?
Maybe a Danish pension fund?

But the pensioners don't need to worry, because "The Fehmarn Belt Fixed Link will be financed by state-guaranteed loans, which will be paid by the road and train tolls.", so if it doesn't get enough use for the tolls to pay even the interest on the loan, then the Danes will pay the missing repayments.

I assume there will be decent income from the tolls, since people are currently paying for the ferry, and that is a significant amount, and presumably traffic will increase once the tunnel makes the journey far faster. So the question is, how many decades will it take to repay the loan? Maybe that doesn't matter, as long as people keep using road and rail, and don't all move to the new electric aeroplanes because they are much faster and cheaper, and net zero!

Back