Pics that make you smile

there's been plenty of outrage at the parents but seriously what kind of enclosure do they have that a child can get into so easily, a zoo is very much a family attraction full of people with small kids, have to feel like there's some negligence on the part of the zoo here
Not the first time in recent memory where a member of the public has so easily wandered into a dangerous animals' enclosure & a poor animal has been shot.

there's been plenty of outrage at the parents but seriously what kind of enclosure do they have that a child can get into so easily, a zoo is very much a family attraction full of people with small kids, have to feel like there's some negligence on the part of the zoo here

FWIW, the boy climbed over a 3ft steel fence, which has been in place for 38 years without being scaled, then pushed his way through thick bushes to the edge of the sunken ape habitat before falling 15ft into the moat. "It was the first time in the 38-year history of the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden's gorilla exhibit that an unauthorized person was able to get into the enclosure, zoo president Thane Maynard said". Thirty eight years without an incident seems to suggest more negligence on the part of the parents who didn't seem to be watching what their kid was up to in an environment where they should have been.

I haven't seen the fence, only was going on info in the news here but someone they were interviewing mentioned that the facilities had been upgraded at some point to make viewing more natural looking without looking at the animals in cages as was pretty common years ago, lots of zoos have these types of enclosures these days where you're elevated above the animals, the types of fences used normally wouldn't allow a foothold to be able to scale them, what they use here at least although our country has turned into a nanny state where there are so many rules and regulations around this kind of thing, I don't know if that's typical thinking in other zoos, I guess there's a fair amount of effort made with these designs to stop animals getting out, perhaps there's some expectation that we won't try getting in

I haven't seen the fence, only was going on info in the news here but someone they were interviewing mentioned that the facilities had been upgraded at some point to make viewing more natural looking without looking at the animals in cages as was pretty common years ago, lots of zoos have these types of enclosures these days where you're elevated above the animals, the types of fences used normally wouldn't allow a foothold to be able to scale them, what they use here at least although our country has turned into a nanny state where there are so many rules and regulations around this kind of thing, I don't know if that's typical thinking in other zoos, I guess there's a fair amount of effort made with these designs to stop animals getting out, perhaps there's some expectation that we won't try getting in

One story I read about this incident said that witnesses told local television that the boy repeatedly expressed a desire to join the gorilla in the zoo habitat. Certainly, this should have alerted the parents to keep an eye on him but apparently he was pretty determined to get into the enclosure. Apparently, he didn't fall in, he jumped in.

There have been other similar incidents at U.S. zoos, some of which have ended in tragedy including a 2013 fatal mauling of a 2-year-old boy by a pack of wild African dogs after he fell into an exhibit at the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium. I don't know the circumstances of how the little boy fell into that habitat.

In 2012, a man jumped into an enclosure at the New York Bronx Zoo because he wanted to be "one with the tiger". He suffered bite wounds and other injuries but survived.

At the Brookfield Zoo near Chicago in 1996 a 3-year-old boy fell into the gorilla den. An 8-year-old female gorilla named Binti Jua picked up the unconscious boy and protected him from the other primates. The act of kindness won Binti Jua national attention as Newsweek's Hero of the Year and one of People Magazine's most intriguing people.

Last edited:
Yeah make one wonder, but when i was a child i was pretty much crawling anything.

The local universety had buildings with a end wall where some of the stones was offset, so we kids was often 10 - 15 M up it, often stopping traffic on the ring road that passed right by there.
download

Those arches was a must do parents or not, all they could do was like " Brian please get down from up there"

To this day i dont get why i have some fear of hights :D

I pretty much had to be teathered to my parents, at least a verbal teather NO ! Brian dont do that !!!
But offcourse i did, but often i had to wait untill the parents wasent there.

That might actually be why i have such a hard time with using the word no myself, the only thing stopping me from saying yes to anything is my sense of moral and what is right and wrong, and for the most of my life that was a very small grey area.

I am truly amazed I survived some of the crazy stuff I used to do as kid and as a teenager. Gives me chills sometimes just to think about it.
You are not alone in this. I look back and I'm amazed I actually got old enough to vote and drink legally. :eek:

You are not alone in this. I look back and I'm amazed I actually got old enough to vote and drink legally. :eek:

Yeah, I'm sure many of us have tales we could tell. Not all turn out so well. A woman I know was a real tomboy as a young teen. She fell out of a very tall tree she climbed and was paralyzed from the waist down. Now in her late 40s she's a mother and a world champion handicapped bicycle racer.

haha i dont even dare to guess what the hell that is :D

ha ha, what is this ? what does that mean ?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DashcamDPR Off Topic 4
DrekiTech Off Topic 2
Back