Pics that make you smile

Is there any exicf or what ever it is called info on it ?
For a photo i would say its near a miracle shot, for a video frame i could better understand it.

If it really is a photo some one need to get that fruit-phone camera sensor in a dashcam ASAP.

It has more to do with the cam's FPS being in harmony with the prop speed than anything else. There's a clip out there showing a helicopter taking off and flying with an apparently stopped rotor because of this :eek: The sensor being used here is irrelevant in this as long as it can get the images and they are processed at the right speed.

There is truth in video but there can also be deception whether intended or not ;) Never take anything at face-value :cool:

Phil

Is there any exicf or what ever it is called info on it ?
For a photo i would say its near a miracle shot, for a video frame i could better understand it.

If it really is a photo some one need to get that fruit-phone camera sensor in a dashcam ASAP.

Even if it is a frame from a video it is impressive that is stopped the action of the turbo-prop considering the dim environment the camera was exposing for. There is not much of any rolling shutter effect which is also impressive.

Considering the rpm of the propeller blades, which would be far faster than a helicopter I doubt that we are seeing a single synced frame. That helicopter video required a high speed camera that has shutter speeds that can be synchronized. Frame rate and shutter speed are related, they are not the same.

Well you're the expert here ;) I'm just an 'Instamatic' operator and smiling spectator and not a good one at doing either of those :p

Phil

Could be coincidence. As the image is scanned in one line at a time, the prop might be rotating enough that another blade (or even the same one) is in the exact same position.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Could be coincidence. As the image is scanned in one line at a time, the prop might be rotating enough that another blade (or even the same one) is in the exact same position.

Not very likely. Digital cameras scan across the frame using a rolling shutter in lieu of having a mechanical shutter that takes a snapshot of the entire scene in a single instant. The result is a distortion effect that is highly unlikely to line up precisely with a previous frame. Again, it is important to recognize the distinction here between shutter speed and frame rate. The interesting thing about the turbo-prop image above is that there is little evidence of any rolling shutter effect at all.

rollingshutter.JPG

d273da06e700d397fdbe37cba44123f0.jpg

Not very likely.

Unless of course someone cherry picks a photo. It's easy to present an abnormal event as if it were evidence of something.

Unless of course someone cherry picks a photo. It's easy to present an abnormal event as if it were evidence of something.

You were speculating about "coincidence" which has nothing to do with how cameras function. And how is a camera's freezing a spinning propeller blade an "abnormal event"?

You were speculating about "coincidence" which has nothing to do with how cameras function. And how is a camera's freezing a spinning propeller blade an "abnormal event"?
You already know these things. But you have to argue, don't you.

The coincidence would be the timing of the blade rotation matching the timing of the rolling shutter effect perfectly. (Not the shutter time, but that time divided by the number of scanned lines.)

That is the abnormal event too.

You yourself thought it was exceptional, that's why you posted the image.

Speaking of how cameras work, you seem to have forgotten that film cameras can show similar behaviour when using shutter speeds faster than the shutter can actually handle (second curtain chases the first curtain to form a slot that scans down the film area.)

You already know these things. But you have to argue, don't you.

The coincidence would be the timing of the blade rotation matching the timing of the rolling shutter effect perfectly. (Not the shutter time, but that time divided by the number of scanned lines.)

That is the abnormal event too.

You yourself thought it was exceptional, that's why you posted the image.

Speaking of how cameras work, you seem to have forgotten that film cameras can show similar behaviour when using shutter speeds faster than the shutter can actually handle (second curtain chases the first curtain to form a slot that scans down the film area.)

I'm not arguing, I was merely responding to your speculation that, "the prop might be rotating enough that another blade (or even the same one) is in the exact same position."

In any event, you've missed the point of why I posted the interesting image in the first place. It is unusual for a camera that is exposing for a scene where three quarters of the image is rather dark to capture such a fast moving object as a propeller in flight with such clarity at all. Whether there is any rolling shutter distortion or not is sort of besides the point but still nonetheless impressive. The shutter speed would have been relatively low in a scenario like this so the chances of blade rotation matching the timing of the shutter or being able to stop the action on camera would be quite low.

Sounds like you are gearing up to pick another one of your venomous squabbles with me. This happens every time someone tries to point out your tendencies towards magical thinking. Please go find someone else to get into one of your pissing matches with, OK. I'm not interested mate.

if engine RPM is a multiple of that then it's going to look still, same reason car wheels can look like they're not turning when recorded driving along the highway when they hit a certain speed

if engine RPM is a multiple of that then it's going to look still, same reason car wheels can look like they're not turning when recorded driving along the highway when they hit a certain speed

Not so much in low light situations with slower shutter speeds and blur even with synchronous timing when you have a propeller blade spinning at almost 14,000 rpm. A car on a highway, especially when you are in a vehicle that is also moving is a somewhat different scenario with much slower rpm.

Whatever the reason for the iPhone's freezing the propeller blade, especially without any rolling shutter distortion it is still impressive.

more good luck than good planning, ask them to do it again and I'd bet they'd struggle

You might be right, we can't know. Still, the camera comported itself with aplomb in a difficult exposure scenario which was the point of posting the photo. I've not seen a dash cam that would have captured that image.

Back