Pics that make you smile

It is utter nonsense to talk about animals producing methane 300 years ago long before the carbon cycle became so out of whack. We now have industrial stockyards and industrial farming of not only cows but also swine production far exceeding anything from previous centuries. We are now at a stage in the climate crisis where every source of greenhouse gases must come under scrutiny, especially as the global population continues to increase.
Cows produce 50x the methane of swine for only 10x the meat, and you have to take account of the fact that we have almost exterminated our wild pig populations when they used to exist in large numbers over much of the world. The big problem is with fossil fuels that are not part of the carbon cycle, anything else is just a very temporary delay of the disaster, fix the fossil fuel problem and the next biggest problem is that we may have already gone over the threshold into uncontrollable warming due to loss of the ice sheets that used to reflect a lot of the sun's heat away.

Cows produce 50x the methane of swine for only 10x the meat, and you have to take account of the fact that we have almost exterminated our wild pig populations when they used to exist in large numbers over much of the world. The big problem is with fossil fuels that are not part of the carbon cycle, anything else is just a very temporary delay of the disaster, fix the fossil fuel problem and the next biggest problem is that we may have already gone over the threshold into uncontrollable warming due to loss of the ice sheets that used to reflect a lot of the sun's heat away.

According to the Food & Agricultural Organization of the United Nations total emissions from global livestock production (as of 2006) was7.1 Gigatonnes of Co2-equiv per year, representing 14.5 percent of all anthropogenic GHG emissions which is significant and more recent analysis suggests dramatic increases since then and going forward. These numbers include cattle for beef production, dairy products, draft animals such as buffalo and water buffalo, pigs for meat production, poultry for meat and egg production, goats and a other farm and domestic animals common around the world. Emissions include both methane and C02 and the production of these food sources, from gaseous emissions, manure (and storage of manure or use as fertilizer), fermentation of silage and other factors. And ALL of this requires massive amounts of fossil fuels to achieve, not only from raising and caring for these animals world wide but the growing, transportation and storage of feed and the transportation of the foods made from these animals. The "carbon cycle" you postulate for world wide livestock is far more complex than you postulate. One can no longer separate one from the other as was the case hundreds of years ago.

Again, what is your point? That we should ignore all of this in the face of an imminent climate crisis?

Once again, Nigel you seem to seek only to engage in a pointless, circular and tiresome arguments for what purpose I do not know.

And ALL of this requires massive amounts of fossil fuels to achieve,
Incorrect, it may currently use some fossil fuel in most places, but it is not "required".

For example, these sheep on Orkney live entirely on seaweed growing or washed up on the shore, no additional feed or energy is used. And when it comes to transport, Orkney has too much wind and tide generated electricity, 138% of what it uses, and often has to turn turbines off. As well as being exported it is used for electric vehicles and to electrolize hydrogen to generate power in low wind conditions, power vehicles, heat buildings and power the ferry to the mainland, also has a record breaking 100 gigawatt hours wind turbine that I have visited: https://www.scotsman.com/news/environment/orkney-wind-turbine-spins-into-record-books-1-3745400

Last edited:
Incorrect, it may currently use some fossil fuel in most places, but it is not "required".

For example, these sheep on Orkney live entirely on seaweed growing or washed up on the shore, no additional feed or energy is used. And when it comes to transport, Orkney has too much wind and tide generated electricity, 120% of what it uses, and often has to turn turbines off. As well as being exported it is used for electric vehicles and to electrolize hydrogen to generate power in low wind conditions, power vehicles, and power the ferry to the mainland, also has a record breaking 100,000,000 kilowatt hours wind turbine that I have visited: https://www.scotsman.com/news/environment/orkney-wind-turbine-spins-into-record-books-1-3745400

My god!, you're citing a population of seaweed eating sheep on a remote island north of the Scottish mainland to argue against the notion that industrialized world wide agriculture with many millions and millions of farm animals around the globe are not a major contributor to the problem of greenhouse gas emissions and that somehow all of that doesn't require the use of fossil fuels under current the world circumstances? Of necessity, the world needs to rapidly shift to renewables but for now, at this point in time fossil fuels are indeed necessary to power the world's agricultural food systems or we will all starve.

And to claim that a single successful wind installation somehow cancels out all the energy needs and requirements that lay ahead of us? Sure, there are numerous large scale renewable energy projects around the world and we need many, many more but to cite these examples to make your sorry case that methane and C02 emissions from livestock are somehow not a significant ongoing issue in our burgeoning climate crisis is a daft and desperate argument at this point, Nigel.

This is growing rather tiresome, Nigel, even moreso than your usual absurdist polemics.

My god!, you're citing a population of seaweed eating sheep on a remote island north of the Scottish mainland to argue against the notion that industrialized world wide agriculture with many millions and millions of farm animals around the globe are not a major contributor to the problem of greenhouse gas emissions and that somehow all of that doesn't require the use of fossil fuels under current the world circumstances? Of necessity, the world needs to rapidly shift to renewables but for now, at this point in time fossil fuels are indeed necessary to power the world's agricultural food systems or we will all starve.

And to claim that a single successful wind installation somehow cancels out all the energy needs and requirements that lay ahead of us? Sure, there are numerous large scale renewable energy projects around the world and we need many, many more but to cite these examples to make your sorry case that methane and C02 emissions from livestock are somehow not a significant ongoing issue in our burgeoning climate crisis is a daft and desperate argument at this point, Nigel.

This is growing rather tiresome, Nigel, even moreso than your usual absurdist polemics.
I chose the Orkney sheep simply because they are demonstrably zero fossil fuel, but the majority of UK sheep are close to zero, only fed some supplements and minerals to keep them healthy in the winter. If little Orkney is able to become self sufficient in renewable energy, why can't the USA? It is not actually that remote, your president's mother comes from another of the Scottish islands not far away and a little more remote. The reason Orkney produces its own hydrogen gas from renewable energy is mainly because it makes economic sense due to not having a gas pipeline to import gas, hydrogen is produced from spare wind power, generally overnight. They installed their first grid connected wind turbine in the 1950s and have been leading the world with experimental wind and tidal power since the 1980s, the USA is 30 years behind, only because they failed to take action when the issue of climate change was raised at the United Nations over 30 years ago. The USA use of fossil fuel is not "required", it is through choice and lack of necessary action.

Mr President, the environmental challenge which confronts the whole world demands an equivalent response from the whole world. Every country will be affected and no one can opt out.
Margaret Thatcher, UK Prime Minister, New York 1989, Speech to United Nations General Assembly, https://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/107817

(Orkney already had an experimental wind farm when that speech was made, and the content of the speech shows that the science and the future impact of climate change was already well understood more than 30 years ago, at least by the UK Prime Minister, maybe not by other world leaders.)

Last edited:
I chose the Orkney sheep simply because they are demonstrably zero fossil fuel, but the majority of UK sheep are close to zero, only fed some supplements and minerals to keep them healthy in the winter. If little Orkney is able to become self sufficient in renewable energy, why can't the USA? It is not actually that remote, your president's mother comes from another of the Scottish islands not far away and a little more remote. The reason Orkney produces its own hydrogen gas from renewable energy is mainly because it makes economic sense due to not having a gas pipeline to import gas, hydrogen is produced from spare wind power, generally overnight. They installed their first grid connected wind turbine in the 1950s and have been leading the world with experimental wind and tidal power since the 1980s, the USA is 30 years behind, only because they failed to take action when the issue of climate change was raised at the United Nations over 30 years ago. The USA use of fossil fuel is not "required", it is through choice and lack of necessary action.

Margaret Thatcher, UK Prime Minister, New York 1989, Speech to United Nations General Assembly, https://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/107817

(Orkney already had an experimental wind farm when that speech was made, and the content of the speech shows that the science and the future impact of climate change was already well understood more than 30 years ago, at least by the UK Prime Minister, maybe not by other world leaders.)

It's astonishing and almost hard to believe that you are really still at this Nigel but then again, I can hardly be surprised knowing you. This all began three days ago when @jokiin posted some images and info about the historically high temperatures his country is experiencing at this time.

Your response to jokiin's post was to offer up a highly critical post about Australia's current emission standards, along with a dramatic news photo representing the severe bush fires the country is undergoing right now.

I find it absolutely appalling (but again, not surprising) that you feel the need to indulge in this sort of blame-the-victim mentality at a time when a nation like Australia is in the midst of a tragic and historic crisis.

Australia is a great nation with important historic ties to Britain and is a long time stalwart friend and ally of the UK as well as the United States. At a time like this the people of Australia deserve our concern, compassion and support. They do not need or deserve to have a smug, condescending prig self-righteously rubbing their noses in a national emergency in the very midst of it occurring. But hey, that's you, Nigel.

Of course, from your first comments about the historic temps in Australia you immediately took the opportunity to go on to post a photo of the town of Paradise, California lost to the horrific wildfires of a year ago along with further hyper-critical remarks and excoriations now directed towards the USA.

Your contempt and misplaced resentments regarding the United States of America are palpable at this point as evidenced by your longtime, chronic and ongoing criticisms, complaints, disparagements and passive aggressive knocks directed at the USA, all of which are a violation of rule #9 of this forum regarding the concept of "nation-bashing". In fact, with members from nations all over the world visiting this forum, YOU are the ONLY member I can think of who ever makes negative remarks about other nations, always with a conceit that the UK is somehow superior to everyone else on every score. With the exception of YOU I am always delighted and gratified to witness how despite national, cultural, social, religious, racial and political differences people of so many different countries get along quite so very well here. Not once, have I ever seen anyone other than you make a critical or mean spirited remark about another country.

In any event, I am always amused by the boastful air of UK superiority you strut around this forum with along with the dubious false narrative you put forth. Here, specifically, I refer to your final commentary in reply to jokiin's high temperature post. After offering belittling quotes directed at Australia and the USA where you present us with ridiculously idealized images of the UK such as a pristine, pastoral, over-photoshopped landscape and an idealized image of wind turbines poking through the clouds (albeit, with an oil platform ironically lurking in the distance :rolleyes:) And of course, it is just so very lovely to hear about your remote population of seaweed eating sheep, as well as your ultra green sheep that allegedly don't fart like every other mammal on earth because they apparently don't eat anything other than being laughably (in your words) "only fed some supplements and minerals" or your little pocket of green wind and hydrogen power as if such things don't exist in many other parts of the world as they have for now for decades.

It must be amazing to live in such an environmentally coruscating paradise of a city on a hill as you claim the UK to be, aloof and removed from the ecological tempests raging in other parts of the globe.

But this self delusional propaganda is merely a fake and false narrative, Nigel. If you are going to boastfully hold the UK up as some sort of amazing example, all the while posting images of disasters in other countries that you don't happen to like or happen to feel superior to, why haven't you bothered to mention what is really going on in the UK?

What about the horrific Great Britain and Ireland floods of 2015-16?

What about the 2018 severe, record breaking drought and British Isles heat wave?

What about the terrible wildfires that decimated thousands and thousands of acres in the UK, also during 2018?

ukfires.jpg

What about the devastating, widespread UK flooding on October 1, 2019?

Widespread Flooding Hits UK – A Week of Rain in Just an Hour

How convenient of you not to mention these events when you want to trash other nations and act as if the oncoming climate crisis isn't going to affect every one of us all around the globe including the UK and many smaller nations with lower carbon footprints that are more easily managed, as well as huge countries like the USA or Australia that may be more difficult to turn around for a variety of reasons, both strategic, economic and political, and we all must strive for the best outcome despite the obstacles. But excoriating others while acting scornfully superior is inappropriate, uncalled for and counterproductive. I've had enough of it.

Last edited:
Continuing along the derailed trackage...

American Native oral histories told of droughts on the US plains which caused enormous dust storms, long before the white man's iron plow (plough for the Brits) broke the hardened soil up, so yeah there WOULD have been massive dust storms anyway, just not as massive. There have been several "Haboobs" recorded out west over the last few years too in areas where there's not too much agriculture as well as where it's prevalent so I don't think there's anything provable about it all. We humans did and do add to the toll of nature, but as to how much we contribute I'm not sure anyone really and provably knows. Nature's pretty good at taking care of herself but we might be equally good at killing her...

And on those same plains were once humongus herds of ruminant Bison likely numbering into the multiple millions, as well as Deer, Moose, Elk, Antelope and other ruminants numbering at least 100 times what we have now, yet they didn't seem to affect the weather patterns or temperatures as best anyone can tell. I think there is ample proof of climate change happening now though we might be coming to the wrong conclusion regards why. But we do know for certain that some things do contribute to that, and that we can manage those things better so as to have a lesser effect on the situation. I guess it's good to try but TBH I don't think it's going to matter as we're going to emulate what Neville Shute Norway wrote about back in 1957. We humans ain't as smart as we really need to be...

Phil

Native Americans on the Great Plains endured ferocious, howling winds, fierce storms, torrential rains, tornadoes, prairie fires caused by lightning strikes, blizzards, mud, blazing heat, drought, shifting mounds of sand and indeed enormous dust storms. But still, despite intense dust storms which had been happening on the plains for millennia, the prairie remained a prairie. In other words, it remained an intact ecosystem full of native fauna and flora despite the weather extremes. It was not until the pioneers came along and applied deep plowing methods to many millions of acres thus destroying the deep roots of the native grasses it had never before become a dead, lifeless and vast dust bowl. The dust bowl of the 1930s was a creation of modern man. Previously, during the time of the indigenous inhabitants the climate and terrain remained essentially as it had always been even with periods of drought and weather extremes.

Fascinatingly, the elements out on the plains, especially the fierce winds that caused the aforementioned dust storms are what led to the design of the iconic Native American Tipi we are all so familiar with and this functional shape and pole structure stands today as a remarkable example of very early and effective aerodynamic design that far exceeded the high wind performance of any tent design the white settlers had.

Last edited:
Can you guys who want to talk about gas and fires not create a new thread?

Can you guys who want to talk about gas and fires not create a new thread?
Post something funny and it will go off on some other tangent, it's the off topic section so no need to worry about things going off the rails every now and again

comiccold.png

The world i dream about and the actual world are like Champagne and carbonated pee.
Lots of carbon dioxide in both...

How convenient of you not to mention these events when you want to trash other nations and act as if the oncoming climate crisis isn't going affect every one of us all around the globe including the UK
Don't know what gave you that idea, you appear to have missed my quote in the post you were replying to: "Every country will be affected and no one can opt out." - the exact opposite of what you are implying!

:ROFLMAO: Your video did make me laugh!

After what you had written I was expecting a video of the UK, only to see a flooding river in another nation, one that has done very little to reduce its use of fossil fuel!
and small nations with lower carbon footprints that are more easily managed
The nation in your video is smaller than Orkney so based on your logic it would have been easy for them to make changes.

Maybe the world is still self regulating, 100,000+ dead cattle should help reduce the Australian methane contribution: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01...ng-toll-of-bushfire-livestock-losses/11844696

Don't know what gave you that idea, you appear to have missed my quote in the post you were replying to: "Every country will be affected and no one can opt out." - the exact opposite of what you are implying!

:ROFLMAO: Your video did make me laugh!

After what you had written I was expecting a video of the UK, only to see a flooding river in another nation, one that has done very little to reduce its use of fossil fuel!

The nation in your video is smaller than Orkney so based on your logic it would have been easy for them to make changes.

Maybe the world is still self regulating, 100,000+ dead cattle should help reduce the Australian methane contribution: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01...ng-toll-of-bushfire-livestock-losses/11844696

Day four of this crap! Your denial about the ongoing environmental disasters occurring in the UK are quite amazing, Weird that you believe that climate change is a local phenomenon in asserting that Australia has visited this upon itself. You behave as if you believe that the UK is, and has been, some sort of innocent bystander. Nigel, you apparently also believe yourself are somehow above it all; a true and effete elitist mentality at work here. But we know that already. If anything, we've certainly confirmed my previous assertions about you.

It is also astonishing that after everything I said you still feel the need to behave with such disdain and condescension towards the people of Australia while they are in the midst of such a horrific crisis. There will come a time for analysis and national reflection about what is happening but not when people are suffering. WTF is the matter with you? What a pathetic soul you show yourself to be.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DashcamDPR Off Topic 4
DrekiTech Off Topic 2
Back